High CPU and a loud fan on Mac OS X (Laptop)

I read a little about this phenomenon but i don’t know if it is yet fixed or not? Have only i this issues or other people too???

When i start the UE4Editor with a sample content and do nothing or do something the cpu ran’s high and the fan is very loud. I have an rMBP 15" first Generation (middle 2012, 2.3 GHz i7, 8 GB Ram, SSD) and use OS X 10.10.3. The UE4Editor version is 4.7.6. The internal display is deactivated (magnetic trick) and my external monitor is an Apple Thunderbolt Display.

I can’t imagine to work with UE4Editor on my Laptop. After some minutes the computer is too hot to work with the internal keyboard and the fan is too loud. That make’s not fun …

That’s normal if are working with any real-time application or playing a game, they will take all the power of your computer to give you as much FPS as possible. If your CPU temperature is bellow 80% then you don’t have to worry about it.

Test running any other 3D game and check your CPU temperature and fan speed.

Solutions:

Try to disable Real-Time in the editor viewport options (small triangle icon), this will make the editor use the CPU as less as possible:

40248-clipboard01.png

Improve your room/laptop ventilation, if you are using it from more than a year maybe it has some dirt obstructing the fan ventilation.

Deactivate Realtime, change some settings to low … always the same problem…

I exported the sample program as an application and the same. A simple program can’t waste so much cpu/gpu time and make the machine hot! This is very bad experience for the user, when you can’t can play very long a simple game on laptop sitting on the couch, cause the laptop is going to be hot and hotter.

That’s normal if are working with any real-time application or playing a game, they will take all the power of your computer to give you as much FPS as possible.

Nope, i think it depends on …

Use a tool like this: http://openhardwaremonitor.org/
And share your temperatures and cpu/gpu load here so people can help you better.

Thank you, but i don’t think that helps anyone. I am not the first person who has problems with heat / high cpu/gpu procession on (i call it) idle …

When the same problem with simple games on smartphone is then i can’t use UE4. Maybe is UE4 simply too complex/overloaded for simple games.

Sames happens to me…
fan get crazy … but still works descent…

i have tested UE 4 on an Intel HD Graphics Integrated Card… and works!.. with all low of course…
so… is weird this thing of overheating…