How do I delete projects?

have tooled around a bit getting familiar with the new interface and made a few files but wanting to scrap them out of my rig. Does anybody know how to do that? Step by step would be great if possible thanks in advance everyone

You can delete them manually. Project files are saved in Documents > Unreal Projects folder by default.

thankyou very much i was looking in the program folder. Still trying to familiarise myself with UE4 after coming over from UDK.

Since you can change the directory when creating projects, wouldnā€™t UE4 have some way to keep track of all of them? If this is the case, then I worry that deleting a project manually would mess up UE4ā€™s registry.

Note: this is just speculation, would somebody please clarify?

after doing some research and admittedly destroying and reinstalling UE4 repeatedly after messing with the code just that little bit too much i noticed that while it does affect the registry SLIGHTLY to add remove things you can simply allow it to do itā€™s registry verification at start up and it will happily sort itself out for you Durpies.

Iā€™ve done this but this isnā€™t the problem Iā€™m really having. All projects are not saved in the Unreal Projects folder, some are outside of the folder but still show up in this area. The only work around Iā€™ve found so far is to move the project from the folder that it is sitting in after it has been opened in UE, or they will stay in your ā€œMy Projectsā€ section.

Note, these files are not in the Unreal Engine Projects folder. They are sitting on our network in different folders.

Quite simple:

• Open the UE launcher.
  • Click ā€˜Libraryā€™.
  • Right-click the project you want to delete.
  • Choose ā€˜deleteā€™.

Thatā€™s all ā€¦ I must say itā€™s not obvious to find at beginning ! I searched a long time to find it out !

1 Like

Hi all,
I am looking to delete the link so it does not appear in the Launcher, not the project itself (as it seems to do when you right click/delete).

I am duplicating projects for backup and open them in the Editor to test if they are ok. But I donā€™t want to see them permanently in the launcher window or the open project window in the editor.

For those of you that donā€™t want to delete the project, but only want to remove the link from the Unreal Launcher hereā€™s I found to do it.

Open the file at:

%localappdata%\UnrealEngine\4.9\Saved\Config\Windows\EditorSettings.ini

Youā€™ll see some entries like this:

RecentlyOpenedProjectFiles=C:/Users/[YourUserName]/Documents/Unreal 
``Projects/MyProject/MyProject.uproject

Just remove the line with the path to the project you donā€™t want to show up, save and restart the UE4 Launcher. That project should no longer appear under ā€œMy Projectsā€. (Until you open it again)

(You probably want to replace 4.9 in the path above with the most recent version number)

1 Like

Hi, I added an answer to this page that covers your situation.

Thank you, I will try that

Just simply rename the YourGame.uproject file in the backups etc. to YourGame.uprojectBAK

The launcher just looks for .uproject files.

This is how iā€™ve always done it :slight_smile:

Donā€™t forget to accept an answer that best clears your question up or answers it so when the community finds your question in the future via search/google they know exactly what you did to fix it/get it going as well as keeping AnswerHub clean so that it gets removed from the ā€œunanswered questionsā€ category.

This doesnā€™t appear to work any more (not sure from which version it changed, but those lines donā€™t appear in that ini file in 4.16).

Would be good if the project files themselves had a DontShowInLauncher=True option or something (so you can still have project files there that you browse to manually, without having to rename back and forth)

It doesnā€™t even matter which engine version Iā€™m looking at, this entire folder structure does not seem to exist. At least not anymore.
I even tried running Search through my entire Unreal Engine directory for EditorSettings.ini, and found only a single irrelevant result.

The option tmek mentions does still work as of Engine version 4.18, not sure why you mention that it doesnā€™t seem to work any more! Have you had better luck since you posted your reply?

Is there another place the launcher references projects? Even after removing:

RecentlyOpenedProjectFiles= ā€œwhatever project pathā€

The projects remain in the launcher after reopening the launcher and after restarting the computer.

Additionally, none of my EditorSettings.ini for any version have the second line:

``Projects/MyProject/MyProject.uproject

They only list RecentlyOpenedProjectFiles as a singular path.

This is a very obnoxious problem as we work with dozens of projects but only a few at a time. They are all managed through source control so weā€™d really prefer not to have to move entire projects to clean up the launcher.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

tmek solution worked great for meā€¦ folder was \AppData\Local\UnrealEngine and what ever version the project is you have to go edit the EditorSettings.ini for all the versions you want to delete. The links of a 4.10 version project would be in the 4.10 folder. So the path for 4.10 would be AppData\Local\UnrealEngine\4.10\Saved\Config\Windows\EditorSettings.ini
So edit the file and just delete the recently opened links you donā€™t want showing up in the myprojects launcher. Just removes the links and leaves the projects aloneā€¦

@Tmek: thanks it worked for me in UE 4.19 :slight_smile:

I love working with the Unreal Engine, but some aspects of the UI are pretty poorly thought-out. It really makes me worry about Epic buying up exclusives, but thatā€™s off-point.

Why canā€™t I just open my project browser, which happens every time I open Unreal, simply right-click any entry and have the option to ā€œremove from project browser listā€ or ā€œdelete projectā€? Instead, I have to go edit my registryā€¦? I would argue that having very simple controls on our project browsers is kind of a no-brainerā€¦?

The requests for this feature go back more than 5 years now. Considering it couldnā€™t be more than a couple hours of coding by Epic, I wonder how itā€™s gone neglected for so long. I think the majority of us users have loads of projects that should not clutter the launcher so we can quickly get to the ones that matter to us at the time. Iā€™d personally love to see a, ā€œActiveā€ section, with all your most active projects (obviously) and ā€œVaultā€ section (normally closed), that can be expanded to find projects you might want to re-discover. A simple right click on any project would bring up a menu ā€œMove to Activeā€ or ā€œMove to Vaultā€ would help my organization immensely.

2 Likes