How to see through camera blocking walls

Hi!

First off, thanks for a really awesome product. I’ve never been working with game-development before, but have extensive programming experiance. So I took the chance now with UE 4, to start learning how to create the things I love to play.

I’m currently playing arround, monstly with concepts, and I have ran into some trouble figuring out how to solve some issues…

When using a Top-Down angle for my player, oftenly the view is blocked by some buildings in the scene, or rather, the roofs or walls.

So… In my mind, i figured I could use a subtractive brush of a sphere that would follow the player along… something like this…

My question is, how would this kind of trouble be solved by others? How is it generally solved in games?
Thanks

I would personally fire a trace from the camera to the player, whatever object it hits other than the player, give a material instance of a low opacity material.

Even simpler. Hide mesh visibility while the tracer is hitting it.

Ahh, Great idea… I’ll try to see If I can implement it tonight and see if I can get the results I want.

And if you want to make it really fancy calculate the distance between the pixel and the camera, to get like a circular see through.

sorry to come back to this post but you could explain better how to make the effect of the second image