UE4 is Free, can we package the Editor?

Now that UE4 is available for free, will the terms of the EULA change so that we can package a compatible editor for our game project with our game? I realize this has been asked a few times but this is a big deal for a project I want to finish and with the licensing changing this would be a good time to make the project easy as pie for people who want to make moddable games on UE4.

The rules regarding editor distribution are largely in the EULA sections 1(a)-(b); distributions to the general public can’t include the editor (or modified editor/tools). If you want to distribute an editor for your game for modding purposes, per 1(b) you can do that through the Marketplace or Epic’s GitHub UnrealEngine Network. Thankfully now it’s easier than ever for your customers to sign up for a Unreal Engine license so once you’re set up, they can get to modding right away.

Thanks that is a good point. The main issue I think is getting people an editor that can build compatible plugins/maps/etc. This means they have to be on a pretty close revision to your build and that kind of rules out binary editors. Also, the example set by Epic is to fork the editor for your own projects.

Canon, Tim just said on stage at GDC that you can distribute the tools and everything with your project to your community. Does that mean the EULA is going to change?

No - you can distribute the tools for your project via the means described above.

OK thanks.