How to make the flying blueprint not instantly stop when colliding (friction)?

I’m using UE v4.5. Inside the flying blueprint, the flying saucer ‘BP_plane’ instantly stops when it collides with an object (like a wall). I wish to make it so that it instead slips off the surface, similar to slippery ice. Is there a way to accomplish this?

I modified the BP_plane to look like this:

with these settings:

I’ve also applied a physics material with the following settings:

Can anyone help? or pinpoint me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Anyone? Any tips?

Have you tried setting the friction value to 0 and the friction combine mode to multiply? This should give you behavior like ice

Hi Ori,

I had a similar question here: Flying template - bounce or slide off collision with no physics? - World Creation - Epic Developer Community Forums

but I haven’t had any luck on solving it. I tried the steps you provided and all kinds of combinations with restitution as well. Would you have any other suggestions on potential solutions? Thank you!

Hey, I managed to find a temporary workaround for that. I know it’s not perfect, but I feel like I’m on the right path.
I added a capsule for collision in my case.
Add a OnComponentHit on your root and break the hit result to get the hit Normal. Multiply this result by how much you want the ship to bounce. Higher numbers make it more shaky, so I suggest using something between 5 and 10 here. Then, add this as a localOffset. After that, you can set the CurrentForwardSpeed (if using the flying template) to a lower speed, so it feels like the ship slows down when colliding.

As a result, your ship will be bounced back just a little every time it hits something, on the inverse direction. So it feels like it’s “sliding” over the surface.

I’m still working on how to make it less shaky.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2739873/collision_bounce.png

@brunogruber many thanks! That is definitely a promising start. I’ve tried it. It also works nice with smaller values. Did you happen to clip through geometry with this method?

So this seemed like a decent solution, we tried it just in the flying template to test it. The first couple of times worked fine, but usually about the third time in the same play test session of running into an object, it would crash and give an infinite loop error. Have you been seeing the same?