Editor Freezes When You Click "Output Log" Window

Build: 4.6 preview

Opening “Output Log” window and then clicking it (as if to select some text) causes UE4 editor to lock-up / freeze permanently. It must be terminated through Task Manager.

Video: - YouTube

Something similar was reported here but I don’t think any staff noticed it (perhaps because it was suspected to be a different issue.)

Hi ,

Does this happen with a new project, or only your current project? Does this happen for you with 4.5?

Hi ,

It happens in both 4.5.1 and 4.6 preview for me regardless of project. It seems reproducible 100% of time. However, I will add that it’s not always instant. Sometimes lock-up occurs a few seconds after you open and click inside console window. (After doing this try clicking some where else in editor like class search text box). This is similar to behavior that MC Stryker describes in his question I linked above. He tries to select some text then goes to perform some other task (automation in his case but it doesn’t seem to matter for me) and then it locks up.

I too em experiencing this in 4.5.1.

This issue was also reported here. I’ll take another look at it since it’s still happening in 4.6.

Thanks for video.

, do you have any other input methods connected other than your keyboard and mouse, eg, a graphics tablet?

Ok I just tried it and yes, it is 100% caused by having a graphics tablet connected. My tablet is a Wacom Intuos Pen.

I do. I have same Wacom Intuos tablet. Although I’m not certain that it has to be plugged in, perhaps just having drivers/software installed is enough to cause conflict. It’s hard for me to test at momment, have recently put a clean install of Windows 10 preview on my machine.

Edit: I did just test on this new Windows 10 clean installation (without installing or connecting tablet) and I’m having no freezing in UE4 log.

Hi , do you also have a tablet connected? If so disconnecting it may help solve issue until there’s a formal fix for it.

Hello,

I have a similar issue on 4.6 (not occuring on 4.5) both from github and launcher. When I have output windows open editor sometimes freezes. It is not constant and because it freezes I cannot get a call stack or bugreport, not even from output of VS. Some of moments it freezed include: When Packaging a game, when launching a game, when just playing in editor a game.

Hope this gets fixed as its really annoying, when you package a game.

Greetings,

No I dont.

It does have to be plugged in. If i unplug it, I can click output window just fine.

I have had editor freeze when trying to package for android a few times too. Can’t provide any further info.

Thanks to you for finding cause!
Have to unplugged wire and wireless USB key too!