What pc/workstation spec has been used in developing UE4?

I recall that there once a docuemnt in UDN about what pc/workstation epic games used to develope UE3, and I wonder what’s the hardware spec used to develop UE4?
As I’m setting up my development pc, would like it to be as close to what epic used as possible

If you’re willing to dump the cash, you want…

SSD Raid 0, 780 GTX+, as much RAM as you can get, and a dual CPU machine (i.e. Xeons). The large number of threads is for both compiling code and for building lighting using Swarm.

I think documentation will be updated in the future, also expect optimized UE4 builds

If you are not planning to go crazy this is what I’m using now:
i5 4670k@4.4Ghz

GeForce GTX 780

12GB ram

I have installed it on normal HDD.

First loading after starting system might be long, but after that is not bad. Besides it’s good exscuse to look at Q&A site (;.

Lighting builds will be quite long, compilation as well. But if don’t have money to throw around I would not recommend to overextend yourself.

thanks guys.
I’ll probably pick one from these two: (Development PC suggestion - Community & Industry Discussion - Unreal Engine Forums)

Alienware ALWX51R-2628
i5-4440, 16G Ram, 1T HD, Nvidia GTX 760Ti 2G

XPS 8700-R398
i7-4770, 16G Ram, 2T HD, AMD HD R9 270 2G

They should be closed to what @iniside is using, but clearly not as powerful as @Allar’s spec :slight_smile:
Now I just have to decide which one is better.

The faster GPU you will get, the quicker editor will work. Slate is quite power hungry for GPU and CPU power. I would get at least GTX 770.

Below are the typical systems used at Epic by programmers and artists. These should provide a good basis for developing games with Unreal Engine 4.

Programmer:

Windows 7 64bit
Dual Processors - Six Core - Intel Xeon X5660 @ 2.8GHz
24GB RAM
300GB 10K SATA (OS)
2X 300GB 10K SATA (RAID0 for DATA)
Nvidia Geforce 470 - 580

Artist/LD:

Windows 7 64bit
Dual Processors - Quad Core - Intel Xeon X5472 @ 3.0GHz
16GB RAM
500GB SATA (OS)
2X 500GB SATA (RAID0 for DATA)
Nvidia Geforce 580

Please see the linked post for additional recommended hardware:
I’m building my own PC for UE4 development. What do you recommend? - Platform & Builds - Unreal Engine Forums

Is it worth it to get a 12 or 24 core xeon CPU? as in, will the engine use all the cores for rendering and compiling tasks?

No, not one CPU, but two 6 cores. The more cores in a CPU the less clockspeed. And this is bad. You have to find the balance between clockspeed and cores.

Thats not true. The editor dont need much graphic power, and this isnt important aswell. It needs much more CPU power.