How do we use the Prototype Characters?

I just bought the prototype characters and weapons pack from the Marketplace. What is the fastest way to start using the prototype characters and weapons? Do we have to create blueprints to get them to animate and play sounds etc.

The following instructions will allow you to assign the Prototype Characters to the default third person BP and subsequently you will be able to control these assets as you would the default third person character. You can use the same steps to apply to the Animation Starter Pack.

1. Migrate ProtoCharacters to a Third Person Project
  2. Right Click on Male or Female Skeletal Mesh
  3. In pop-up menu choose Assign Skeleton
  4. Choose HeroTPP_Skeleton from the default character folder (and Accept)
  5. In the default character folder, double click MyCharacter_BP
  6. Under the Components tab choose the Skeletal Mesh from step 2
  7. Also under the Components tab choose default Animation BP
  8. Compile and Save
  9. You should now be able to control the Prototype character when you press play

20827-assign+skeleton2.png

Thanks , This was causing a few headaches for me and you solved my issues. I have a question though. When we assign a skeleton to our skeletal mesh, why don’t we use the one that comes in the ProtoCharacters folder? What purpose does it serve?

You asked “What is the fastest way to start using the prototype characters and weapons?” The default character skeleton is already referenced by the default character blueprint and hence, already set up to run, jump, etc.

If you use the prototype skeletal mesh as is, then you have to create a new character blueprint to control the skeletal mesh and to go under world settings and use the Protogame blueprint with that character blueprint selected.

Here is another illustration, the default folder is called “ThirdPerson…”

Anyway to force Ying Pei Games to update the characters for 4.8? Or is there a way to get them removed from the Marketplace for 0% support and false advertisement?

Hey KillerSneak,

If you are having a problem with Marketplace content, please post your concerns here:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/spaces/61/marketplace.html

Thanks.