Editor crashes on launch (Nvidia Optimus)

UE4 installed fine on my PC, and launcher allows me to create a new project or load example project provided. editor splash screen appears, and what briefly appears to be a ‘Welcome Tutorial’ appears for a second, before everything closes and I’m given option to report error.

I’ve attached my dxdiag file.link text

Hey,

Can you provide your log files for crash? You can find it in your project’s folder in Saved\Logs. Thanks!

Hi ,

I’ve attached logs from both a clean test project and Content Examples. Thanks for your help!

link text
link text

Weirdly…that’s not dxdiag file I uploaded. In fact, it isn’t even my machine. :frowning: Some crossed wires somewhere - I’ll upload proper one later if it’s still needed…

Having just read through crash report…it seems that editor is reading my graphics as being on-board Intel HD Graphics chipset, and not picking up my NVidia GeForce. My PC should automatically switch to GeForce when a ‘graphically intensive’ app is launched…could editor not be triggering this switch somehow? It would explain the ‘out of memory’ error partway down (My graphics card should have 4gb, and Intel 64mb).

Fixed it!!!

I was right in my thinking earlier - editor wasn’t triggering switch to my graphics card, instead trying to run it with through integrated 64mb Intel HD chip. I had to go into ‘NVidia control panel > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings’ and either set the ‘Preferred Graphics Processor’ in Global Settings to graphics card, or set ‘ue4editor-cmd.exe’ directly.

I’m my own tech support! :wink:

Thanks for report. I was able to acquire a Lenovo W520 with Quadro 1000M and reproduce crash. And good call, I was going to suggest that workaround which works for me as well.

I hope you’re paying yourself well for your tech support :wink:

I’ll attach screenshots of my settings in case someone else comes into this thread.

Hi Brian

I checked my drivers this evening, and I was surprised to see NVidia tool tell me they were up to date, as I’d not updated them in a while…my current drivers are 200’s though, as I recall which might explain why card wasn’t being used. I’ll double check drivers again though, just to be sure they’re latest. As mentioned though, it’s working now for me, I just had to manually flag graphics card to be used with editor.

We are triggering it as per Nvidia’s doc. It sounds like it only works with Release 302 drivers and after. Those were from 2 years ago though. Any chance your drivers are older than that? If not this is something we’ll have to discuss with Nvidia.

I double checked drivers last night…GeForce Experience app didn’t seem to pick up new drivers, but online system check did. I updated to version 335.23. However, I was still getting same issue. It now turns out that setting each program specifically to run with GeForce card no longer works. I had to globally set my GeForce as default for it to run. That seems like a driver issue now, though.

I got editor working and had a good play, so I can’t grumble! :slight_smile:

Glad to hear you found a workaround. We took a look at our code and it looks like we’re correctly detecting multiple GPUs and using higher spec one. OnePunchPete’s case looks to be caused by old drivers.

Is this same case with you? We’d rather provide a hotfix if this isn’t case instead of users to change their settings.

Just to clarify, above method fixed issue I was having at time. However, I updated my drivers to very latest available (335.23) last night yet editor still wouldn’t switch to higher spec GPU. Again, I had to manually configure my display settings to run editor. Its no longer an issue for me really, although I’ve had to set my laptop to default to GeForce rather than having UE4 set it for me on launch.

OnePunchPete, you’re a genius! Exact same issue here. Thanks!

Hello, I had same issue and solution of setting proper card worked for me.

Thanks worked for me. :slight_smile:

Hi Tyoungjr - could you post your GPU specs? From info we have in OnePunchPete’s case, looks like it might be a bug in Nvidia’s drivers. But we want to make sure there isn’t something we can do on our end.

Here

Thanks! We were able to reproduce this in-house and currently investigating.