(Tutorial) Simi CelShade PostProcess Material work with light color, point lights and skybox

Hello,

Im actually having the same problem (translucent materials disapearing) and just can’t find any solution to this… Can I have more details on the way you resolved this please ?

Sorry to be a bother but i’ve clearly missed a small detail in some part of the process, i’ve replicated the process twice but im still getting a fully black scene :frowning: . Could someone attach a working copy of this. Cheers

Another newbie coming in!

I’ve been struggling with few cel shading tutorials and the past two including this have done absolutely nothing to my scene.
I’ve everything as in the tutorial and tweaked some values but still nothing.
A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums this one worked very poorly in my scene but at least it did SOMETHING

Should I put some values or UVs to the SceneTextures or is there something really obvious that wasn’t included in the tutorial that I haven’t noticed?
Hope I can find some answers from here

Cheers

Running into the same problem as Raaka-****. I’m not seeing any different result for this PP. And the link he mentioned works for me as well. Anyone know if something changed between Unreal versions possibly?

It works for me. You probably forgot to enable custom depth for the objects you want to have cel shaded (under Rendering for the meshes), try bypassing that part of the code.

This may be specific to my user case, but I have the tone mapping disabled on my project, so all I did was change before tonemapping > before translucency, made sure separate translucency was enabled for my water and also made sure to use the Render Custom Depth method of this material so that my water planes are never affected by the cel shading.

Works like a charm, thanks!

Just as a tip, it looks like setting the material to render before translucency also fixes up issues with depth of field:

@hippowombat HW I dont see a support thread to your cell shadong marketplace thing :wink: any help?

(incoming newbie)
Hello, i’m actually having some strange result, the shader work properly on imorted meshes (render customdepth pass is on) but when i use foliage tool and landscape, it do nothing on it,i tlook like the post process won’t work on it.
Any help? it been a couple days that i’m trying to figure it out, but no sucess.

Right you are, here you go :wink:

Master Yoda thanks You :wink:

Hi

I’m super new to unreal and i’ve followed your write up exactly, everything looks the same in the material graph but my shadows are very weird. There are jagged edges and it looks like it’s casting two shadows? If you look at the players shadow there’s the hard cell shading shadow and their is a soft shadow over it. Any idea on what i’m doing wrong? The project is just the ThirdPerson example project, I have not changed anything in the settings of the project.

Hi folks I followed the original post but it isn’t working.

Hi mate,

A couple of things to check

1. On the Post Process Material under the “Post Process Material” heading set the Blendable location to Before Tonemapping
  2. On the mesh of the object you want shaded check Render CustomDepth Pass (under Rendering Section on the Mesh)

Also make sure you are using a Post Process Volume object in your scene with the Post Process Material applied to it. To make it cover the entire scene checking the box Unbound will apply the effect across the scene.

I have the same problem - I tried tweaking values but I cannot make it smoother.

Try to remove skylight from scene.

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!

Thanks so much for this tutorial! I’m a bit late to the party, but was hoping I could still ask a question.

I have an issue with the ’ Get Skybox Colour’ part. If I use the material without this part everything works fine, but as soon as I include this, there is no effect anymore. I can’t seem to figure out what I’m doing wrong! As far as I can see, everything is the same as in the instructions…

I’m using version 4.18 and also use custom depth on the objects I want to have cel shaded. Again, everything works without using this part of the script (though the world lighting looks weird now), so don’t know what I’m doing wrong!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Whoops, forgot to attach the image of the ‘Set Skybox Colour’ part of the material. Sorry about that