Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Many missing polygons in imported scanned mesh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many missing polygons in imported scanned mesh!

Hi all,

I'm having an issue importing this scanned mesh into UE. I have this chunk of scanned geometry, which looks fine in Zbrush and C4d, importing with tons of polygons missing (see attached pictures). I tried importing as FBX, 3DS, OBJ and using the C4d Datasmith plugin. I also tried fixing and flipping the normals on the mesh both in C4d and in Unreal.
    Anyone ever deal with this before? I am new to UE so I'm not sure if this is a common issue or an easy fix. As you can see, this model is around 8 million polys - I realize that's pretty high. Any tips or advice would be super appreciated!

hi, i'll suggest u to import in small set of models. and check the issue exists or not.
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHY...97QaoBbllHR4_g
    Behance - https://www.behance.net/UE4_Archviz

My System
    Cpu - i9 7980XE
    MB - Asus X299 Pro Se Motherboard
    Gpu - Zotac GTX1060 AMP 6GB DDR5 Graphic Card
    Ram - Corsair Dual RGB 32 GB
    SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by ozvisual View Post
      Hi all,

I'm having an issue importing this scanned mesh into UE. I have this chunk of scanned geometry, which looks fine in Zbrush and C4d, importing with tons of polygons missing (see attached pictures). I tried importing as FBX, 3DS, OBJ and using the C4d Datasmith plugin. I also tried fixing and flipping the normals on the mesh both in C4d and in Unreal.
      Anyone ever deal with this before? I am new to UE so I'm not sure if this is a common issue or an easy fix. As you can see, this model is around 8 million polys - I realize that's pretty high. Any tips or advice would be super appreciated!
      For a test, go into the material and turn on "Two sided", and see, if the missing polygons reappear. C4Ds materials are always two sided materials, while in UE, by default only the front is rendered, and the backside is invisible. So if an object have it´s polygons normals not aligned, which happens quite often (you can correct that in C4D), then those seem to be missing in UE.
      Last edited by Suthriel; 08-05-2020, 04:44 PM.

Comment

It might be different nowadays that scanned models are more commonly used, but back in the UE3 days, the engine would delete polygons that were too small. If you have large clusters of tiny triangles, you may have to scale up the asset before import, then scale it down in engine to have it import them.

Comment

Working...
        X