Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAD File format export advice/Why does some of my geometry become infinite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAD File format export advice/Why does some of my geometry become infinite?

I'm working on Solidworks 2018 (any chance we can get 2018 support anytime soon? On my end at least, that's probably the quickest workaround ), and I've been having a lot of issues with meshes imported through Datasmith getting some crazy blown geometry when I try to set up LODs... At first I thought maybe I was being a bit too aggressive on the reduction settings, but after playing around a bit this afternoon, I don't think that's the case. FWIW, it seems to happen regardless of what stitching option I select on the import.

I was wondering if maybe exporting from Solidworks to a different file type would help... Can anyone elaborate as to the pros and cons of my various options here?

From Solidworks, I can save as ACIS, 3Dxml (not sure what version), CATIA (.cgr), IGES, parasolid, ProE/Creo, and step. There are several options within Solidworks when saving as ACIS, IGES, parasolid, and step, and I'm really not sure what impact all of them will have when I bring everything into UE4, but maybe someone here does?

Here's a screenshot of my options when I'm saving in Solidworks, and a couple images to show what I'm talking about with the wacky geometry.

Any ideas what would be best combination of file format and export options?

Thanks so much!

Hello,

If I understand correctly you cannot import the solidworks file directly into Unreal, through Datasmith?
    Solidworks 2018 should be supported at least on recent version of the engine.
    Which version of the engine are you using?
    Could you share this file with us? Ping me on flavien.picon@epicgames.com.

The best solution would be to use the native solidworks file. Else you can try one of the other format that is well supported by datasmith https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...pes/index.html and that is still holding the precise geometry IGES, parasolid or ProE/Creo could do the trick.

Comment

Apologies for the delay in the response... I can import Solidworks 2018 part files, but not assemblies. I always assumed this was due to using the 2018 version of the program, since all the Unreal Studio documentation says Solidworks is supported up to version 2017... I can of course save the assemblies as parts to import them into the engine, but then I wind up with a bunch of meshes named Part1_body#### instead of meshes named after the actual part numbers they have in our file system, and for some reason, far fewer materials transfer over using a Solidworks file (not sure if that's due to the file being 2018 or not) than when I export to another file format.

I did some playing around today and I found something that fixes it, but I don't understand why... The imported meshes come through with 3 UV maps, map 0 is empty, map 1 is texture, and map 2 is the light map. The build settings in the static mesh editor specify 1 as the source lightmap index and 2 as the destination lightmap index. The general settings have the light map coordinate index set to map 2.

Changing both references to map 2 so that they point to map 0 fixes the geometry. The new map 0 this creates appears to be identical in every way to map 2, but for some reason, using it doesn't cause the same problems. I have to go home for the evening, but I will upload some files tomorrow or Wednesday to show you what I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
      X