Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAD Import Missing Geometry

Greetings,

Currently working out the best possible import settings I can get on these guys but, no matter how hard I try I get these missing bits of geometry in the corners. I understand they could be "flipped normals" however I tried editing them in the mesh editor and not only is it not selectable but selecting the faces around it to unify doesn't seem to work either. So either the mesh came in with no faces or it's unable to recognize the command to flip that specific normal.

If anyone has import options they wish me to try I'll give them a go and update this with another image with those settings.

The image provided was imported at;

.05 cm - chord tolerance
    .5 cm - max edge length
    15 degrees - normal tolerance
    stitching heal

As a side note the model is an .x_t file type (Solidworks).

Hello Endcar, by any chance could you share this file with me flavien.picon@epicgames.com so I can have a look and then share with our CAD team?

Comment

Sure thing I should have something for you in a few hours today.

Comment

Originally posted by UE_FlavienP View Post
        Hello Endcar, by any chance could you share this file with me flavien.picon@epicgames.com so I can have a look and then share with our CAD team?
        You should have received an email and a shared file.

Comment

Hello Endcar,
          Thank you for reporting it.
          I assume you are on 4.23 Preview. It should be fixed in one of the upcoming preview.
          In the meantime I manage to fix it by retessallating it. Right click on the assets > Datasmith > Retessellate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	retessellate.png
Views:	338
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	1647558

Comment

Originally posted by UE_FlavienP View Post
            Hello Endcar,
            Thank you for reporting it.
            I assume you are on 4.23 Preview. It should be fixed in one of the upcoming preview.
            In the meantime I manage to fix it by retessallating it. Right click on the assets > Datasmith > Retessellate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	retessellate.png Views:	1 Size:	188.4 KB ID:	1647558
            Thanks I'll give that ago on some of our models. This helps a lot!

Comment

Welp, one step at a time... After taking the necessary steps to export the the model and applying the 4.23 Preview version for retessalate, it indeed fixed the holes appearing on the geometry and even reduced the polygon count to a considerable amount compared to when it was first imported. Next issue is how 2 parts of the model had these really messed up normals but, other parts of the model looked perfectly preserved. Even though it had the same shapes, curves, and cutouts as the other pieces.

Comment

Normal issue's "Fixed". Decided to do the good ole "select all faces" on the the mesh editing section of the model and unify. Seems to have fixed the problem. Very clean conversion! Now onto finding a way to quad it properly...

Comment

Working...
                X