Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What content would you like to see on the learning portal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What content would you like to see on the learning portal?

Hi All,

You've probably noticed that we've recently begun previewing our forthcoming learning portal. We are in the planning stages for our 2019/2020 courses that will appear there.

Now is the time to tell is what you'd like to see! We want to hear from you on what kind of courses and topics we should be creating and what is important to you!

Please take a few minutes to tell us in this short survey. (@2-3 mins). In the coming months, we will be posting a follow up survey focusing on game dev specifically.

https://uelpcourses.questionpro.com/

Thanks for your time.

Chris
    Chris Murray
    Senior Manager Online Learning, Unreal Engine
    Twitter: @chrismmurray
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismmurray/

Done, thank you very much.
    Your commitment was very appreciated, they helped me a lot in my training.
    Daniele Barone
    Freelance 3D Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by Daniele Barone View Post
      Done, thank you very much.
      Your commitment was very appreciated, they helped me a lot in my training.
      Thanks Daniele!
      Chris Murray

Comment

Thanks the new learning portal. Can't access the survey as it's closed however I'd just like to say it's great to get short sections that you can do in a spare moment rather than hour long sessions - so thanks for that. Also going through basics really helps - The VR for ArchViz for instance was great as it explained controller basics which helped you not get bogged down with the more complex templates that are provided.

On a simplification of a complex issue - as multi-user VR series of lessons that went from a simple empty scene to a basic multi-user like a cut down version of the multi-user template would really help teams add in multi-user in an Enterprise context.

Keep up the good work here!
        David Gillespie
        Associate
        Foster + Partners

Comment

Originally posted by david.gillespie View Post
          Thanks the new learning portal. Can't access the survey as it's closed however I'd just like to say it's great to get short sections that you can do in a spare moment rather than hour long sessions - so thanks for that. Also going through basics really helps - The VR for ArchViz for instance was great as it explained controller basics which helped you not get bogged down with the more complex templates that are provided.

On a simplification of a complex issue - as multi-user VR series of lessons that went from a simple empty scene to a basic multi-user like a cut down version of the multi-user template would really help teams add in multi-user in an Enterprise context.

Keep up the good work here!
          Thanks David! We have lots of those suggestions in the works!

Chris
          Chris Murray

Comment

(sorry forgot this was studio specific forum and not general unreal engine)
            George Rolfe.
            Technical Coordinator at Orbit Solutions Pty Ltd.

Comment

Practical "How to..." Tutorials, especially when using 100% Raytracing for GI, AO, Reflections, and Refractions/Translucency

examples:
              - a simple Studio Shot Product Render (easy ones, like a soda can, or furniture, or electronic devices, etc.)

The Tutorials should show always the entire content.
              • Project Settings
              • Lighting Setup
              • Material/Shader Creation
              • Rendering for Stills
              • Rendering for Animation (just one camera, but at least something that shows the process)

Hot Topics that causes current issues:
              - Refraction / Translucency Materials
              - Physical Camera Settings - Bokeh DOF
              - Import Solutions from 3dsmax, glTF file Formats

@Raytracing:
              There is barely anything to find about Raytracing. This is the real "kick".
              It's awesome from the Studio Version, for Arch Viz, Product Viz, and even Animation work - I refer to Nvidias Star Wars Demo.

Thanks for any consideration!

Comment

Originally posted by remozseo View Post
                Practical "How to..." Tutorials, especially when using 100% Raytracing for GI, AO, Reflections, and Refractions/Translucency

examples:
                - a simple Studio Shot Product Render (easy ones, like a soda can, or furniture, or electronic devices, etc.)

The Tutorials should show always the entire content.
                • Project Settings
                • Lighting Setup
                • Material/Shader Creation
                • Rendering for Stills
                • Rendering for Animation (just one camera, but at least something that shows the process)

Hot Topics that causes current issues:
                - Refraction / Translucency Materials
                - Physical Camera Settings - Bokeh DOF
                - Import Solutions from 3dsmax, glTF file Formats

@Raytracing:
                There is barely anything to find about Raytracing. This is the real "kick".
                It's awesome from the Studio Version, for Arch Viz, Product Viz, and even Animation work - I refer to Nvidias Star Wars Demo.

Thanks for any consideration!
                There are several courses that contain some of what you are asking for. Here's the new Studio Lighting Course. http://academy.unrealengine.com/?C=2598287

We have quite a bit on import solutions from 3dsMax via datasmith: http://academy.unrealengine.com/?C=2436632

Raytracing is very new and still somewhat incomplete. But we are working on a primer.

Stay tuned, lots coming.

Chris
                Chris Murray

Comment

hello , I am a beginner to unrealengine4.Now I have a problem.

With Enable World Composition loaded levels, my Landscape is divided into 7*7 blocks.The Landscape resolution of each of my sub-blocks is 505*505.Now I through LandscapeCoords node to a 3535 * 3535 map magnified 505 times.It is tiled over each of the sub-terrains.However, if I split the 3535 by 3535 map into 7 by 7, how can my texture be properly assigned to each piece of terrain?thanks。

Comment

The Studio Lighting Course is without Raytracing. So yes, I am referring to Tutorials, that are going to use 100% Raytracing.

I also noticed, that the Bokeh DOF is not working.
                    Not sure if that's just a Raytracing Bug, or a Bug inside of the the Beta Studio Version.

I also pointed out Raytracing for Refraction/Translucency. This is a major part, but there are no Tutorials out there yet, that goes step by step every single process and also shows the setup of glass materials - refraction and translucency for Raytracing.

I got the info that 4.23 will be out soon with a major update on that. So yes cool. Love it.
                    One more thing: I guess lot's of "offline" Users are interested in the Creative use of Unreal - but not really interested into the development part.

For example:
                    I don't like to create shaders, materials, or effects from scratch. As a user, Designer & Creative I don't like to code.
                    In fact.. I hate coding.

I need solutions, that helps me creating stuff fast, quick and easy.
                    Render images, change materials fast, it's kinda a cooking process until you'll find the right mix.

Everything that comes just close to developing or coding is a huge turn off for me personally speaking. And I know for sure, being in the industry for almost 20 years, for a ton of other creative folks.

So to speak:
                    You want to create a fire, an explosion, or you want to apply a leather material, make it black, blue, green, pink, what ever?

There is no time for us to develop crazy shader networks. We just need to have solutions, pick, drag and drop, apply.
                    Test, experiment, change things on the fly as quick as possible.

That's what brings us over to Unreal. That's the huge turn on.

Personally I am super stoked about the fact that Unreal is unleashing the Raytracing Power with Nvidia.
                    This is AWESOME. And that's the reason why I am learning the engine, and why I am moving things over to the unreal engine.

But for a daily productive production - the pipeline has to work. I has to be efficient and fast with as less technical troubles as possible.

Therefore, Practical Tutorials are HUGE.

Starting with a simple studio setup (fully raytraced) for example a glass bottle, or a headset, or any other shiny electronic device.
                    This is what drives people over here.

And yes, Architecture is big. Exterior & Interior lighting. But small and simple scene files are better, than having massive ones.

That's what I would appreciate and that's what would make my life much easier.

So far so good. I hope that input helps. Keep rocking, I FREAKING LOVE EPIC & UNREAL.
                    cheers!

Comment

I'd really like to have in the lessons academy to set up an initial interface to choose whether to start a preloaded video, whether to start browsing or view images.
                      And also how to create an interactive layout inside the navigation or how to set the switches in the navigation to lower or raise the intensity of certain lights.
                      Daniele Barone
                      Freelance 3D Linkedin

Comment

MultiUser Viewer:
                        While there is a documentation available... I still can't run the MultiViewer as I want to. A step by step video guide would be extremely helpful.
                        Thank you very much!

Comment

Hello Unreal Team!

I love the Online Learning portal.

I believe one nice addition is to have a video's length of time next to each video in the course list. This would provide a very easy way to plan one's day in learning as you can easily sum up the time and add some overhead for note taking in OneNote, further reading, etc. I included an example image below showing an [example] time next to each video.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unreal_OnlineLearning_VideoTimeExample.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1643561

Last edited by erol_demirci; 07-17-2019, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by remozseo View Post
                            MultiUser Viewer:
                            While there is a documentation available... I still can't run the MultiViewer as I want to. A step by step video guide would be extremely helpful.
                            Thank you very much!
                            A bare bones tutorial for a multi user template would be amazing. Just the stuff to create a minimum viable product LAN multi user and then adding on Steam support etc would be really good.
                            David Gillespie
                            Associate
                            Foster + Partners

Comment

Video Tutorial:
                              Packaging Projects when using Ray Tracing.
                              The results from the Unreal Editor should be the same when launching an app - especially reflections and GI seem to be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X