Unreal Studio Light Build Fails After Import

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Studio Light Build Fails After Import

I can import a rhino model without any issues, but when I try to build the lighting, it gives me this error. Anyone knows what this is about?

I have found in the past that that error usually comes from one of two things:

1) The items in the scene are too far away from the 0,0,0 origin point, and / or
    2) The scene overall is so large, it really needs a Lightmass Importance Volume to help 'corral' the light baking process.

As it says in the first line of the error, you don't have a Lightmass Importance Volume in the level, so try placing one around the bit / bits you care about in the overall scene, which will focus Lightmass' efforts on that area first. If this happens to be some distance away from 0,0,0, if feasible, try shifting the scene closer to that point if you can.
    Charlie Morris
    Technology Research Analyst

Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners
    www.rsh-p.com

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie.Morris View Post
      I have found in the past that that error usually comes from one of two things:

1) The items in the scene are too far away from the 0,0,0 origin point, and / or
      2) The scene overall is so large, it really needs a Lightmass Importance Volume to help 'corral' the light baking process.

As it says in the first line of the error, you don't have a Lightmass Importance Volume in the level, so try placing one around the bit / bits you care about in the overall scene, which will focus Lightmass' efforts on that area first. If this happens to be some distance away from 0,0,0, if feasible, try shifting the scene closer to that point if you can.
      What is a lightmass importance volume? I've never had this issue, so never dealt with that. Is that the light source you see when you start a new level?

Comment

Originally posted by Cape_Olive View Post

What is a lightmass importance volume? I've never had this issue, so never dealt with that. Is that the light source you see when you start a new level?
        As per the basic Lightmass documentation here, they live on in the Modes menu inside the editor, (Usually on the left hand side of the window by default), under the Volumes section. You don't usually start a level with one; you have to drag it into your level from said menu. It's usually a good idea to do it anyway, as it means the lighting calculations only have to really care about what is inside said volume, rather than the whole extents of the level.

Charlie Morris
        Technology Research Analyst

Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners
        www.rsh-p.com

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie.Morris View Post

As per the basic Lightmass documentation here, they live on in the Modes menu inside the editor, (Usually on the left hand side of the window by default), under the Volumes section. You don't usually start a level with one; you have to drag it into your level from said menu. It's usually a good idea to do it anyway, as it means the lighting calculations only have to really care about what is inside said volume, rather than the whole extents of the level.
          I was just reading the documentation, and you information helps me understand it as well. I'll add a light mass importance volume to the building and see if it helps.

Comment

Working...
          X