Unreal Studio and Alias .wire files importing with incorrect normals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    ​​I am running Alias 2018 to UE4.25, also have the same issue with randomly flipped normals. Would like to know if this issue is caused by Alias versioning and if there's a way to solve it.Thanks!

Cedric
    Last edited by cliu10; 07-23-2020, 03:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi dhruvjdhiman, A couple questions. What version of Alias are you currently running and do you have Alias installed on the same machine you are running UE on?

Russell Paul
    Senior Product Designer
    Epic Games

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am facing the exact same issue as K0T_Schnueffler above.

Unreal v4.24.3, everywhere I am reading that Alias native format (.wire) is supported via Datasmith, but upon importing Unreal simply closes itself (no message, no log).

The work around is to use .catpart format (as being done by ankishugupta above), as it is the only format that supports layer structure when opened in Unreal.
    But even that method (as the topic of this forum suggests) imports some surfaces with incorrect normals. So even that is not a concrete solution but only a temporary one.

Irrespective, issue still remains, Unable to import Alias.wire into Unreal v4.24.3 via Datasmith. :'(

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey Guys i need your help !

i tired to import a .wire Alias Autostudio Data to Unreal with Datasmith. I select the folder to import and if i want to just import geometrie or camera, lights etc.

But when i start to Import - unreal always crashs.... Is there an other way ?? Please help !

Greetings!
    Leo

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm having the same problem with both importing from Alias (.wire) and using Datasmith export plugin for VRED (.fbx). Did you manage to solve this issue?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UE_FlavienP I'm running the latest version 4.21.0-4541578+++UE4+Release-4.21

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you for the file, can you tell me which version of the engine/datasmith you are running?
    I ll check forward your issue to our CAD developper.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello UE_FlavienP

Thanks for your quick response, I have uploaded a partial .wire data: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/br5l2m8iu...wPrAecwAa?dl=0

Flipping them manually does work but the problem is that Alias data is made up for tens of thousands of little surfaces (fillets, drafts) which make individually flipping each static mesh not feasible. I have tried to find a way to flip a grouped node but I was unsuccessful in finding out how to do that short of mergeing the actors together first which then means I loose access to each individual surface if needed down the pipeline.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance in trying to resolve .wire issues, I'd be happy to help.

Thanks

EDIT: I have also filed this as a bug report if that helps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello,

Thank you for the feedback, it would be interesting for us if you could share the file in some way with us so we could work on the issue.
    In the mean time you could use the flipping normal function available in Static Mesh Editor > Mesh Editing > Edit Mode.

Leave a comment:

• Unreal Studio and Alias .wire files importing with incorrect normals

Hello

I'm having an issue where Unreal is flipping the direction of all normals during import from .wire.
    The same data imported using the same normal direction inside of Alias and the same settings works perfectly when imported as a .CATPART exported from Alias.

I'm unsure if this is a bug or there is a reason for this but it would be great to have native .wire files not import as flipped surfaces in Unreal.

Thanks
Working...
X