Product Viewer 'Explode' tool implementation and function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Hello. Explode_BP_Actor seems to work only in PC mode. (4.21.2)
    When i use it in PC mode, no problem at all but, when I try to use it in VR mode :

"Blueprint Runtime Error: "Accessed None trying to read property CurrentSelectable". Blueprint Explode_BP_Actor Function : Execute Ubergraph Explode BP Actor Graph: EventGraph Node: Branch.

Any idea how to solve this ?

Update :
    If not parented in Interactive_Root, it works on PC mode but not on VR Mode.
    If meshes are all movable, parented to Interactive_Root and Explode_BP_Actor, It works in VR but message in still visible in Messagelog.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Achitakayoh; 02-12-2019, 12:28 AM. Reason: Works almost perfect in VR after parenting to Interactive_Root

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Kijaii View Post
    I got this working somewhat, and managed to record a shot clip in preview mode:
    https://streamable.com/scvu7

However when I saved the project and restarted the editor, the positions weren't saved and nothing worked anymore. Is this something that's supposed to work right now? Also when I tried packaging the project, it was successful but the exploding doesn't work at all.

Edit: Upon further investigation I noticed it's the mesh components that are not saving, transforms are.
    Edit 2: As far as I understood form studying the blueprints with my very limited experience, this isn't a finished blueprint and it simply can't work as the object references aren't saved anywhere permanently. I worked around this by saving them in a string array and using that to rebuild the object reference array on load and demand. Works fine like that when packaged too.
    i'm new to use unreal engine, also have the same problem when using the "Product Viewer" template to practice......tried many different ways, and finally solve the so called "restart" problem....
    i don't use the objects that exist in the template, i drag it from the "Content Brower/ SampleMesh/Gears", select those parts as below:

and then drag it to the viewport, and then use the same way as other supporter mentioned in the topic before.......[select parts---convert selected to blueprint----set parent to existing "Explode_BP"......] and save it and test to restarted the editor ...and the "restart' problem can be solved.......

but another problem is coming up......"the x-ray applied to a group...i can't apply it individuallly to each parts."......so hope anyone who can help...pls reply me back thanks!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, we didn't put official instructions for doing the explode in 4.20 because the usability of the feature wasn't where we thought it should be. But the appetite for the feature was so high that we ended up trying to give people the instructions through the forum. The new version in 4.21 should be a lot simpler to set up, and should hopefully match your expectations for how the thing should behave.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Either those instructions were always incorrect or became outdated with the release of 4.21 so they wouldn't really work, but if you look here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/...Product-Viewer

And scroll down, there are now different instructions for the explode feature that should work better. I figured my own solution that works fine but probably better to go with the official one.
    Glad there is finally some official documentation on this feature. Was killing me to try and work this out. Will definitely need to look into getting it working in my project sometime if and when it is necessary too.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by dalembert View Post
    The Explode Tool didn´t work for me! Tryed evertything Marie-Claude said! Is there no step by step tutorial or video-tutorial? This was nice to have! Fixes or updates available?
    Either those instructions were always incorrect or became outdated with the release of 4.21 so they wouldn't really work, but if you look here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/...Product-Viewer

And scroll down, there are now different instructions for the explode feature that should work better. I figured my own solution that works fine but probably better to go with the official one.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The Explode Tool didn´t work for me! Tryed evertything Marie-Claude said! Is there no step by step tutorial or video-tutorial? This was nice to have! Fixes or updates available?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by GSS_JXB View Post

Looks really good. Question, I noticed your objects move back to their original position much smoother than the default ones I'm using. What did you change to get that? Cheers!
    I added linear interpolation to the movement in the "RestoreInitialTransform" -custom event in "ProductViewer_Base_Pawn" -blueprint. It's too messy a solution right now to share though, and unfinished in regard to how it works in VR (need to add rotation as well).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Okay I finally figured this out to my satisfaction:
    • The Explode_BP_Actor blueprint is redundant like I initially thought, probably a leftover from early version or something. Deleting the whole thing had no effect on anything and it wasn't referenced anywhere.
    • As the Explode_BP blueprint is using hard object references for the meshes, it will reset each time when reloading the project and wouldn't carry out to the packaged build either. To fix this I changed the hard references to soft ones instead. As I'm a beginner I really don't know why this wasn't done in the first place, there's probably some drawback to this method (performance?) but I haven't noticed anything yet. Here's what I did:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	hardtosoft.png
Views:	60
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1545971
    And then obviously replacing the mesh references in the other events to this new soft object reference as well. After these changes everything works like I want it to, everything is saved when reloading the project and it also works in packaged builds perfectly.

Here's an example of it in action with 3 spectator clients added as well:
    https://streamable.com/04s17
    Looks really good. Question, I noticed your objects move back to their original position much smoother than the default ones I'm using. What did you change to get that? Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Okay I finally figured this out to my satisfaction:
    • The Explode_BP_Actor blueprint is redundant like I initially thought, probably a leftover from early version or something. Deleting the whole thing had no effect on anything and it wasn't referenced anywhere.
    • As the Explode_BP blueprint is using hard object references for the meshes, it will reset each time when reloading the project and wouldn't carry out to the packaged build either. To fix this I changed the hard references to soft ones instead. As I'm a beginner I really don't know why this wasn't done in the first place, there's probably some drawback to this method (performance?) but I haven't noticed anything yet. Here's what I did:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	hardtosoft.png Views:	1 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	1545971
    And then obviously replacing the mesh references in the other events to this new soft object reference as well. After these changes everything works like I want it to, everything is saved when reloading the project and it also works in packaged builds perfectly.

Here's an example of it in action with 3 spectator clients added as well:
    https://streamable.com/app6u
    Last edited by Kijaii; 10-31-2018, 10:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by CaptainMazza View Post

Here's the problem:
    The Explode Transform and the initial transform Variable inside the Explode_BP_Actor are set to hidden.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Visible.png Views:	1 Size:	30.7 KB ID:	1545249

If you make them visible it should fix the problem of the save not saving anything.
    Having said that, you will unfortunately have to reset all your initial and all explode transform.
    We are actively working on improving the template and fixing it.

thank you
    Okay I got a chance to try this now, and it did not fully fix the issue: packaged project still doesn't work. But then I remembered something I spotted before:

Click image for larger version  Name:	explode_bp.png Views:	1 Size:	39.8 KB ID:	1545702
    This node being disconnected in the Explode_BP construction script. I connected that and added Call to parent on the construction script from the blueprint made for the parts themselves and then it worked on the packaged project too.

However this won't fix the problem when reloading the project in the editor, I have to use the "Get components" on each explodable part each time I load the project in the editor to restore functionality. I'll be testing more tomorrow and try to apply this to my project and see if anything else comes up.

Edit: Scratch all this, figured it out as laid out in post below.
    Last edited by Kijaii; 10-31-2018, 09:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by CaptainMazza View Post

HI there,

Sorry for the late reply.
    I've looked at the issue with the Save.
    I was able to reproduce it
    It is clearly a bug on our side.

Here's the problem:
    The Explode Transform and the initial transform Variable inside the Explode_BP_Actor are set to hidden
    Thanks for the reply!

And oh wow.. if it really was just that I feel extra stupid as I mostly ignored that whole blueprint as I first didn't understand it's purpose, I did check this exact thing on the Explode_BP blueprint only. My work around isn't working in larger scenes so this would be welcome fix indeed

Other than that I've been adding my own features to this template including multiplayer spectator mode and sort of a cross section tool. I foresee a lot of use for this if I can get it to work like I want.

Also another buggy feature I noticed was the World Scale setting, the way it is right now feels like it's disabled on purpose though as the control widget for it is basically upside down and thus not visible without editing the rotation in the blueprint, and after getting it visible the scaling itself doesn't work correctly and only scales the view (pawn?) and controller meshes but not the actual controls which obviously makes this feature unusable.

Leave a comment:

• replied

However when I saved the project and restarted the editor, the positions weren't saved and nothing worked anymore. Is this something that's supposed to work right now? Also when I tried packaging the project, it was successful but the exploding doesn't work at all.

Edit: Upon further investigation I noticed it's the mesh components that are not saving, transforms are.
    Edit 2: As far as I understood form studying the blueprints with my very limited experience, this isn't a finished blueprint and it simply can't work as the object references aren't saved anywhere permanently. I worked around this by saving them in a string array and using that to rebuild the object reference array on load and demand. Works fine like that when packaged too.
    HI there,

Sorry for the late reply.
    I've looked at the issue with the Save.
    I was able to reproduce it
    It is clearly a bug on our side.

Here's the problem:
    The Explode Transform and the initial transform Variable inside the Explode_BP_Actor are set to hidden.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Visible.png
Views:	182
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1545249

If you make them visible it should fix the problem of the save not saving anything.
    Having said that, you will unfortunately have to reset all your initial and all explode transform.
    We are actively working on improving the template and fixing it.

thank you

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Daniele Barone View Post
    no one knows how to solve the problem of positioning and saving?
    I don't know what to do about the initial positioning changing when you convert the parts to a blueprint, but I worked around the saving by storing the components in a string array instead, then using that to make the object references on load. Probably easier and better ways to do it, I'm only a beginner with all this.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    no one knows how to solve the problem of positioning and saving?

Leave a comment:

• replied

congratulations beautiful model.
    We await answers from someone who understands

Leave a comment:

Working...
X