UE4 Source Engine Compatibility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UE4 Source Engine Compatibility

Is it supported to use unreal studio with the source version of the engine from GitHub? I've tried copying the Enterprise folder from the launcher install of the engine to a source build. This seems to allow unreal studio to show up in the project browser window when first launching the engine, however when I try creating a new project from the unreal studio template I get this error:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Error.png Views:	2 Size:	6.6 KB ID:	1518449
    Error I get after trying to create an unreal studio project from the project browser. Project Browser
    Last edited by Rob-Avalon; 08-21-2018, 01:11 PM.

Hi Rob.

Unreal Studio/Datasmith is not supported on source code builds, because we do not provide source code for Datasmith. It only works with binary builds from the Launcher.

If you need to use a source build for your development, then you will have to import your assets with Datasmith in a binary build, and then migrate the assets to the source build.

Regards
    Stephen Ellis | @TheEpicStephen
    Enterprise Program Coordinator

Comment

Okay, thanks Stephen. I'll try that work around.

Comment

So that approach does work, but it's a pretty awkward solution. Are there any plans to support source builds in the future? I imagine that unreal studio could be provided as plugin which was just a thin wrapper around pre-compiled binaries, so you wouldn't have to distribute the bulk of the source code, yet you could still use it in source builds.

Comment

No plans to support source code builds.
          Sr. Product Manager
          Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by kenpimentel View Post
            No plans to support source code builds.
            Is there any precompiled solution for Linux?

Comment

At this time, Datasmith only works with Windows. Expanding to additional OS support is a future goal.
              Stephen Ellis | @TheEpicStephen
              Enterprise Program Coordinator

Comment

Working...
              X