Deleting content doesn't delete nodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleting content doesn't delete nodes

If I use Datasmith to import a scene, then delete the content from the Content Browser nothing shows in the level but all the nodes are listed in the World Outliner. I then have to delete it from there or I have empty nodes. This is in 4.20 with P3 installed. Is this a known issue?

I was also wondering if deleting the Datasmith folder from the Content Browser is the best practice for removing all the imported content so I can make a clean import after. Is there any information on this?

Comment

Good question but at this point I have had to do that in most cases. We should be able to update the import as I usually don't want to delete any changes in the level that I have made.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Neale View Post
        Good question but at this point I have had to do that in most cases. We should be able to update the import as I usually don't want to delete any changes in the level that I have made.
        I've also done it but always makes me force delete because of some references. I tried the reimport but just got random duplicated and moved geometry attached together

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Neale View Post
          If I use Datasmith to import a scene, then delete the content from the Content Browser nothing shows in the level but all the nodes are listed in the World Outliner. I then have to delete it from there or I have empty nodes. This is in 4.20 with P3 installed. Is this a known issue?
          it’s not a known issue, it’s how unreal works. Deleting assets will break references from actors but actors will be left intact in all levels.

its a bit like deleting maps in max: materials won’t be deleted and nodes referencing those materials won’t be touched.
          Pierre-Felix Breton

Sr Technical Product Designer AEC, Unreal Engine
          Epic Games - LinkedIn

Comment

I know this topic is older, but I think the behavior of the 'World Outliner' is going to be confusing for people with engineering and architecture backgrounds that are used to the functionality of CAD systems. With most CAD systems your Model Tree (World Outliner) functions in a way that when you delete an assembly (actor) all of the parts (static meshes) under the assembly are deleted with it.

When you import an engineering model, it is very easy to have a machine with 5,000-10,000 parts (static meshes/Actors). Sometimes you realize you don't need all of these to accomplish your set goal in EU4, so it would be very nice if you could delete actors and have all of the associated static meshes under it disappear. It would also be useful that when you select a static mesh from the window, the actor would be deleted if it is the last static mesh associated with that actor. These models were designed and structured in a CAD system, so having some of the same functionality when manipulating them would be useful.

I understand this is basic UE4 functionality, but the purpose of Unreal Studio is to try and attract business from engineers and architects for utilization in real world applications. Adding functionality that gives these new users the tools to efficiently manipulate the models in UE4 is only going to strengthen your product.
            Aaron Hill
            Design Engineer Sr -MSME
            Wacker Neuson Corporation

Comment

Yes, you are right in some aspects, but first things first. Unreal Studio is not an overhaul of the Unreal Engine to make a new max or Catia. There are fundamental concepts that won't change short term. Our first steps consisted into making it easier to get data in the engine. A subsequent step is to create tools to take that data and make it real time ready and invest in tools to let you combine entities, reduce draw calls, generate LODs etc.

Along the way we will improve the editor as well (we already have started to invest in modeling tools. Basic ones are in the 4.20 preview btw).

Pierre-Felix Breton

Epic Games - LinkedIn

Comment

Originally posted by AC273 View Post
                It would also be useful that when you select a static mesh from the window, the actor would be deleted if it is the last static mesh associated with that actor..
                Don't forget that you can create as many levels as you want that point to the same assets in the content browser. There is no 1 to 1 association, there is many to many associations. This actually allows for very powerful and flexible scenarios where you no longer deal with a unique model like 3ds max but rather with many different views on the same data.

Pierre-Felix Breton

Epic Games - LinkedIn

Comment

Breton,

I appreciate your reply and completely understand where you are coming from. I have used multiple CAD systems and none of them are completely the same. However, having used them they all are similar in how they manage the 3D data and present it to the user. Artistic modelers are a completely different animal. I felt like I was losing my mind when I first attempted to use Blender and Sketchup. I hope you take into consideration my comment in a generalized way. UE4 is trying to appeal to a new audience with Studio. Anything you can do to provide familiar tools to engineers and architects will only enhance your product and help increase its success.

Again, thanks for the reply and explanation.
                  Aaron Hill
                  Design Engineer Sr -MSME
                  Wacker Neuson Corporation

Comment

Thanks Aaron, it is a complex problem as we're trying to give a tool with more flexibility and we have to figure out how to present that without making it feel complicated. We know all the relevant personas, but it is a long-term challenge for us to solve. You'll see things getting more and more obvious with every release (and we do that 3X a year!).
                    Sr. Product Manager
                    Epic Games

Comment

Working...
                    X