Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot find static mesh for Static Mesh Actor on import

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Cannot find static mesh for Static Mesh Actor on import

    I am trying to import an architectural scene which was exported from Max via the Datasmith Exporter into UE 4.19.2 and Unreal tells me it cannot find any static meshes for any static mesh actor (The scene stays empty as there are only actors without any meshes linked to them). Cameras, materials and lights seem to be imported correctly. I updated the Unreal Studio plugin to the latest version for 4.19.

    Any ideas how to fix this?
    Joshua Burkert
    Beyond Matter Studio

    #2
    Hi Joshua

    The best approach to get help troubleshooting this may be to open an Unreal Studio support ticket and provide the 3ds Max file to our support staff. We can then go through the steps to determine what is happening.

    Regards
    Stephen Ellis | Senior Engine Coordinator

    Comment


      #3
      Please try this with 4.20 Preview 5 and see if it now works.
      Sr. Product Manager
      Epic Games

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Beyond Matter View Post
        I am trying to import an architectural scene which was exported from Max via the Datasmith Exporter into UE 4.19.2 and Unreal tells me it cannot find any static meshes for any static mesh actor (The scene stays empty as there are only actors without any meshes linked to them). Cameras, materials and lights seem to be imported correctly. I updated the Unreal Studio plugin to the latest version for 4.19.

        Any ideas how to fix this?
        Hi Beyond Matter,

        By reading your post , i'm thinking that you may be missing your _Assets folder.
        For Unreal to be able to upload your static meshes , you need to have that folder.

        What you need for everything to work should look like this :

        .udatasmith File
        _Assets folder

        Cheers

        Flipped.png


        Last edited by MC_Jut; 07-11-2018, 08:15 AM.
        Marie-Claude Jutras
        Product Specialist LinkedIn
        Unreal Studio
        Report Issue Here
        Studio Release Notes

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by CaptainMazza View Post
          Hi Beyond Matter,

          By reading your post , i'm thinking that you may be missing your _Assets folder.
          For Unreal to be able to upload your static meshes , you need to have that folder.

          What you need for everything to work should look like this :

          .udatasmith File
          _Assets folder

          Cheers

          Flipped.png


          Hi CaptainMazza,
          can you elaborate on the _ASSETS folder, is that a 3ds thing or an unreal folder. I'm having trouble too and I dont know where to find this folder.

          Thank you for your help.
          -B

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by BAM_Q8 View Post


            Hi CaptainMazza,
            can you elaborate on the _ASSETS folder, is that a 3ds thing or an unreal folder. I'm having trouble too and I dont know where to find this folder.

            Thank you for your help.
            -B
            Ah, this is more of an 'intermediate' thing: when you export a file via Datasmith from 3DS Max, in the place you saved the .udatasmith file, you also get a folder named <NameOfExportedFile>_Assets at the same level as that file. Should be right along side it.
            Charlie Morris
            Technology Research Analyst

            Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners
            www.rsh-p.com

            Comment


              #7
              Thanks Charlie. The solution solved my problem.

              Comment

              Working...
              X