Documentation regarding Template conflicts with actual use of Template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Documentation regarding Template conflicts with actual use of Template

The area near the "yellow" ball in the actual Template, instructs us to simply parent the teleport'able surfaces to the TeleportSurface_root ... which doesn't work ... it just lets you teleport on anything with a collision preset ... setting the collision presets of everything to NoCollision helps, but you sill have to do similar to the Documentation (https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...ojectTemplates) under "Setup a Lst of Objects to Support VR Teleportation" (need to correct your minor spelling error too).

My problem is, I changed some items to NoCollision, which I now want to be teleport'able ... I setting the collision preset to Default doesn't get back that ability, even though they are properly set up in the ProductViewerTools' properties under Teleport Surface Root array.

Also, the PC vs VR button and the splash-screen are rather inappropriate ... because we should know our audience and our presentation medium before we get started ... our clients don't need to be distracted by that, we need to just launch directly into VR. Where do we edit the BP to do so?

More clear direction, please.

Regarding launching directly into VR, I believe you can find all of that functionality in the level blueprint. There might be some code in the actual widget, but I'm fairly sure the level bp contains all of that logic.

For the teleportation thing, I can't check now, but I believe it will only react to world static and world dynamic objects. That should cover most surfaces, but maybe check there for a discrepancy. The teleport functionality I believe is mostly in the pawn, with some references to the motion controller bp. There is also some logic in the product viewer helper bp that handles what actually happens when an object is set to be a teleportable surface. Check that out as well.

Trying to go from memory, but hopefully that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by spazfirem View Post
      Regarding launching directly into VR, I believe you can find all of that functionality in the level blueprint. There might be some code in the actual widget, but I'm fairly sure the level bp contains all of that logic.

For the teleportation thing, I can't check now, but I believe it will only react to world static and world dynamic objects. That should cover most surfaces, but maybe check there for a discrepancy. The teleport functionality I believe is mostly in the pawn, with some references to the motion controller bp. There is also some logic in the product viewer helper bp that handles what actually happens when an object is set to be a teleportable surface. Check that out as well.

Trying to go from memory, but hopefully that helps.
      Great starting points, thank you! I'll try those out.

Comment

Originally posted by LCCssumsion View Post

Great starting points, thank you! I'll try those out.
        That did the trick as far as fixing the immediate problem. It would be really nice for newbies to have a coordinated Template Documentation and actual Template. "Parenting" actors in the level under the TeleportSurfaces_Root would be a really slick way to do it, and not have to populate the array in the ProductViewerTools BP actor. Same thing with the Interaction_Root functionality.

Comment

pfbreton ThomasC_Epic We'll take a look at this suggestion.
          Sr. Product Manager
          Epic Games

Comment

Hi, yes it's really unfortunate that the hints in the level got out of sync with the docs in 4.19.

The good news is that we've made a lot of improvements to that template in 4.20, and not just to coordinate the docs and the hints in the level.

I can say for sure that parenting actors to the Interactive Root automatically makes all children interactive in 4.20. I'm checking to find out if the same applies to teleporting, but it should use the same principle.

Comment

Working...
            X