No announcement yet.

Unreal studio for blender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw that there hasn't been much development lately in the repository that his Youtube video linked to. Is this project still being worked on by him (in a different repository perhaps?), has the Unreal dev team (or Blender Foundation, after the grant) taken over with its development, or has it died? I'm still really interested in using this. Any updates on this project whatsoever?
    Last edited by Perregrinne; 11-12-2019, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Perregrinne View Post
      I saw that there hasn't been much development lately in the repository that his Youtube video linked to. Is this project still being worked on by him (in a different repository perhaps?), has the Unreal dev team (or Blender Foundation, after the grant) taken over with its development, or has it died? I'm still really interested in using this. Any updates on this project whatsoever?
      The guy is a student with a part time job doing this in what little spare time he has with zero support from anyone else so far.

I hope someone with knowledge (or money) steps up and lends a hand at some point.

Comment

In UE version 4.24.0, there's a built-in plugin called "Datasmith glTF Importer". (Not to be confused with the other "glTF Importer" that's in Beta and developed by Khronos directly, which was broken last time I checked.) You can now export a .glTF file from Blender and import to UE using the familiar Datasmith interface. It seems to support the Principled BDSF shader as well in the limited testing I've done so far. Not sure how far it goes beyond supporting the metalness & roughness values.

I was able to export a complex model from Revit to Blender using FBX and bring this into UE via glTF/Datasmith without issue and generate lightmaps.

Comment

Years go by, megagrants are given, yet no datasmith for blender. It doesn't make much sense to me.
          Any plans on that folks ?
          Last edited by Phosporous4; 01-24-2020, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Hey there,love the work you're doing on all the free stuff etc...the next step should absolutely be blender datasmith,it really is a pain to create,reconvert,bake,and all that uselss stuff
            especially materials,also it seems like I can't export particles (hair) in an fbx without crashing the hell out of blender. I tried to convert them to meshes, import them in UE4 and...it crashes all the time,don't know why.
            I'm working with pretty hipoly stuff,mainly for adv stills (i know,pretty weird,but i see a future for that in Unreal!)

Comment

Working...
            X