No announcement yet.

Unreal Studio / Datasmith for Mac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In need of Datasmith conversion for Mac as well!!

Comment

Is there any other way to import 3D models from Sketchup (or via Rhino) into Unreal Engine on OSX? I've experimented with .fbx files but these import my full 3D model as just one static mesh into UE; this means I can't edit materials and textures for every plane independently in UE afterwards. Help please!

Comment

Someone recommended Unreal Studio to me for rendering architectural things. After signing up and downloading the installer, I am extremely saddened to learn that Mac users cannot use this seemingly amazing program.

Before going to college for architecture, people told me Mac is the way to go for art-related majors. I never would have entered the Apple world had I known there would be so many obstacles to using a Mac. Unfortunately, the saying is true for me: once you go Mac, you can't go back.

Excuse me while I go to my corner and regret decisions I could never undo.

Comment

Well, you can use Unreal Engine on Mac. As for as I know (I'm new to this), the Datasmith plugin for seemless integration of Sketchup models into Unreal Engine just has not yet been developed for OSX platform.

I'm currently finding my way in working with Unreal Engine on Mac and I believe you can do amazing things as well, just with some workarounds. Though these challenges will only learn me to understand UE better I suppose!

Comment

Originally posted by MatthiasDziwak View Post
            Well, you can use Unreal Engine on Mac. As for as I know (I'm new to this), the Datasmith plugin for seemless integration of Sketchup models into Unreal Engine just has not yet been developed for OSX platform.
            Correct on both points

Stephen Ellis | Senior Engine Coordinator

Comment

In need of Datasmith conversion for Mac as well!!

Comment

So what is the plan ? Never? Better to go to Unity/pixyz if you want to work on mac? At the moment I use IFC shell for Blender to then export to FBX. Works ok for most cases. Oh and btw, at the moment Unreal 4.21 doesn't seem to work very good on Mac/Mojave. Is these known problems? And if so do anyone care enough to work on it?

Comment

Originally posted by kenpimentel View Post
                  It's not a matter of "IF" it is a matter of scheduling it. Every time we release a version of Unreal Studio beta we also send out a user survey. In the user survey, we ask what people need supported in terms of formats and platforms. The simple answer is that more people have been asking for other things. If we had unlimited resources, we'd have this sorted. I'm sorry it is taking longer than expected to support Datasmith on the Mac. I don't know timing yet and I don't want to mislead you, it will happen in 2019.
                  Wait uh asking for Mac support is what we are doing here. I can not use the software so there is no reason to submit a survey.......Nor would any other Mac user who cannot use the software. I currently just have a PC dedicated to Lumion and I am really ready to dump Windows for good. Autocad for Mac 2019 is finally really good! So Parallels is finally dumped

Were can we all go to submit the survey?
                  Last edited by Betazero; 02-18-2019, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MatthiasDziwak View Post
                    Is there any other way to import 3D models from Sketchup (or via Rhino) into Unreal Engine on OSX? I've experimented with .fbx files but these import my full 3D model as just one static mesh into UE; this means I can't edit materials and textures for every plane independently in UE afterwards. Help please!
                    FBX works but like you said to import something like a House you will be in hell trying to deal with a ton of little parts. Also, messed up textures and many other things. The better way would just add native SKP import to Unreal Lumion has had that for years and it works VERY well.But that is a PC only program. Twinmotion is pretty good and there IS a Mac version. That takes SKP files directly but I love Unreal and Sketchup and can't wait for the day that they work directly together on a Mac.

Comment

Take to Mac users too please )

Comment

Mac here too, and super jazzed with Sketchup and Unreal possibilities for demos. Need that Datasmith, please!

Comment

Has anyone tried this in BootCamp? I’ve been struggling to get the Engine Editor to run, but no joy. The DX11 requirement has me stuck. I’ve got DX12 installed with Mojave. Does not want to backtrack. 30 years on Mac. Not delighted.

Comment

Q: Are you keenly waiting for the MacOS version of Datasmith?
                            A: Yes

Comment

The majority of Set Designers in film run Sketchup on a mac. (including me). We would be all over this if it was available. Very interested!

Comment

Originally posted by kenpimentel View Post
                                It's not a matter of "IF" it is a matter of scheduling it. Every time we release a version of Unreal Studio beta we also send out a user survey. In the user survey, we ask what people need supported in terms of formats and platforms. The simple answer is that more people have been asking for other things. If we had unlimited resources, we'd have this sorted. I'm sorry it is taking longer than expected to support Datasmith on the Mac. I don't know timing yet and I don't want to mislead you, it will happen in 2019.
                                If nobody on the mac is using UE4/Unreal Studio - how could you expect to get any kind of representative feedback from Mac users that are shut out? I'm principal of an architecture firm that subcontracts to many other architects for viz services. But we are staunch Mac supporters for the simplicity of management/IT/Security. We use all Mac Pros - it's not a question of hardware capability. This is a huge bummer for us bc we don't like Twinmotion.

Comment

Working...
                                X