X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by roberteker View Post
    Dataprep Commit seems to add everything back into the current level, which is annoying if you've made changes. Datasmith has an option to not respawn deleted actors, but Dataprep doesn't seem to have this?

Also, the result from the Dataprep Commit does not have the white balls on empty actors that the result from a straight Datasmith import has (which is preferrable actually, so I'd rather hope that when you drag a Datasmith scene into a level in the future the white balls will be hidden for it as well).
    Once a Dataprep Commit has been made, I believe the intended workflow is to then update the scene through the Datasmith Asset Dataprep > Update Datasmith Scene(s). From my experience, this then works as expected.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Dataprep Commit seems to add everything back into the current level, which is annoying if you've made changes. Datasmith has an option to not respawn deleted actors, but Dataprep doesn't seem to have this?

Also, the result from the Dataprep Commit does not have the white balls on empty actors that the result from a straight Datasmith import has (which is preferrable actually, so I'd rather hope that when you drag a Datasmith scene into a level in the future the white balls will be hidden for it as well).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Are there plans to improve the Python API reference, to match the more recent features of the Dataprep asset? Would be nice to have those in relative feature parity. As far as I can tell the more recent features of Dataprep aren't covered by the API: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...s&area=default.

Also speaking of the Dataprep asset, attempting to view Metadata to filter assets is nearly impossible through the Dataprep window—UI needs some adjustment.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation-20200114-163436.png Views:	0 Size:	40.7 KB ID:	1708590
    Last edited by pprfrost; 01-14-2020, 01:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by goodchild31 View Post
    Hi, I need to read PDF files in UE4.
    A data of assets contain the path to the PDF file and I need to watch it in the viewport.
    Maybe it's already possible but it seems no.
    Is it possible now and how?
    Thks.
    I'd love to be able to load PDF data in too. I guess you'd need a PDF reader that could generate bitmap data for a texture at runtime. It's definitely possible to load in a folder of JPGs etc and use those dynamically. I wrote some C# functionality for that a while back using USharp to run the code in UE4. Adding the PDF conversion too would be a cool idea.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by IslandPlaya View Post

What you say is true. However if you want to use models in Max, Revit, Sketchup etc format then you need to own these applications. Unreal won't import their native file/project formats.
    Correct - however also check out the direct model import options too as there are a lot of native formats supported there too which may help you out

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would like Dataprep to have it's merge functionality work similar to HLODs:

Define a radius, and check if the total bounds of each sub-hierarchy (ie CAD assembly) can fit within that radius, and if so, merge those actors.
    Last edited by roberteker; 01-08-2020, 11:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, I need to read PDF files in UE4.
    A data of assets contain the path to the PDF file and I need to watch it in the viewport.
    Maybe it's already possible but it seems no.
    Is it possible now and how?
    Thks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by david.gillespie View Post

Unless I'm mistaken, Unreal Studio included Datasmith functionality was included in Unreal Studio which has been wrapped into 4.24. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.
    What you say is true. However if you want to use models in Max, Revit, Sketchup etc format then you need to own these applications. Unreal won't import their native file/project formats.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Unfortunately this is not the case. You need to have a valid license for these products and then use the Datasmith exporter to output a .udatasmith file that you can subsequently import into Unreal.
    This is for licensing reasons I believe and is not likely to change.
    There is no reason why Unreal shouldn't support .blend files natively as Unity does however....
    Unless I'm mistaken, Unreal Studio included Datasmith functionality was included in Unreal Studio which has been wrapped into 4.24. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Dataprep should have a box mapping UV unwrap node, with real-world units as input for the tiling (yes, I know you can achieve it with materials, but not everyone using Datasmith is a shader wizard).

Leave a comment:

• replied

Unfortunately this is not the case. You need to have a valid license for these products and then use the Datasmith exporter to output a .udatasmith file that you can subsequently import into Unreal.
    There is no reason why Unreal shouldn't support .blend files natively as Unity does however....
    Licensing reason ? How can that be possible?

Here is the link to the current status of supported software... Autodesk Alias Wire, Autodesk AutoCAD, Autodesk Inventor have direct import support while Autodesk 3DS MAX, Revit and VRED need the export plugin so requiring to own the software packages.
    If that was a license issue with Autodesk.. why would they allow Epic Games to create native direct import code for Alias Wire, AutoCAD and Inventor files but stop them from doing the same with 3DS MAX, Revit and VRED ?

And there is direct import support for PTC Creo Pro/ENGINEER, Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks and CATIA V5 which are far from cheap software... it just doesn't make much sense that only some Autodesk packages would never get direct import support.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...pes/index.html
    3D ACIS .sat Up to R21 Direct Datasmith CAD
    3DEXCITE DELTAGEN .fbx (CSB not supported) 2017, 2018 Export Deltagen FBX
    3DXML .3drep, .3dxml FS 2.0 Direct Datasmith CAD
    Autodesk 3ds Max .udatasmith 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 Export Plugin Datasmith Datasmith
    Autodesk Alias Wire .wire Direct Datasmith CAD
    Autodesk AutoCAD .dwg Direct Datasmith CAD
    Autodesk Inventor .iam, .ipt Up to 2018 Direct Datasmith CAD
    Autodesk Revit .udatasmith 2018.3, 2019, 2020 Export Plugin Datasmith Datasmith
    Autodesk VRED .fbx VRED Professional 2018 and 2019 Export Plugin VRED FBX
    Dassault Systèmes CATIA V5 .CATpart, .CATproduct, .cgr R10 - R24 Direct Datasmith CAD
    Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks .sldasm, .sldprt Up to 2017 Direct Datasmith CAD
    ESRI CityEngine .udatasmith Export Plugin Datasmith Datasmith
    glTF .gltf 2.0 Direct GLTF glTF
    Industry Foundation Classes (IFC) .ifc IFC 2x3 Direct IFC IFC
    Initial Graphics Exchange Specification (IGES) .iges, .igs 5.2, 5.3 Direct Datasmith CAD
    JT Open .jt Up to 10 Direct Datasmith CAD
    MAXON Cinema 4D .c4d Direct Cinema 4D C4D
    McNeel Rhinoceros .3dm up to 6 Direct Datasmith CAD
    Parasolid (x_t) .x_t up to 20 Direct Datasmith CAD
    PTC Creo (Pro/ENGINEER) .asm, .creo, .neu, .prt V13 up to Creo 4 Direct Datasmith CAD
    Siemens NX .asm, .prt V11 - NX9 Direct Datasmith CAD
    STEP .step, .stp AP203, AP214, AP242 Direct Datasmith CAD
    Trimble SketchUp Pro .udatasmith 2017, 2018, 2019 Export Plugin Datasmith Datasmith
    Last edited by DarkS474; 12-25-2019, 04:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by david.gillespie View Post

Datasmith does this - it's been added to 4.24.
    (Merry Christmas)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DarkS474 View Post
    I still hope there soon will be full support for native Direct import of Autodesk 3DS Max, Revit, VRED and Trimble SketchUp Pro files, so that poor indie developers could convert/import paid assets/projects bought on other marketplaces directly into UE4 whenever FBX or other exchanging formats are missing as well as not having to deal with materials conversions for expensive renderers like V-Ray and so on.
    Datasmith does this - it's been added to 4.24.
    (Merry Christmas)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I still hope there soon will be full support for native Direct import of Autodesk 3DS Max, Revit, VRED and Trimble SketchUp Pro files, so that poor indie developers could convert/import paid assets/projects bought on other marketplaces directly into UE4 whenever FBX or other exchanging formats are missing as well as not having to deal with materials conversions for expensive renderers like V-Ray and so on.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would love an easy way to undo "Merge Actors".

It's really destructive right now, and really problematic to revert.

Very often, I discover that I accidentally merged something I shouldn't have, and then I need to start from zero again and hope I don't do another mistake.

Mistakes are really easy to creep in when you have thousands of parts in an import.

EDIT: To clarify, I was talking about the "Merge Actors" found in the developer menu. Apparently, there's a different workflow with Visual Dataprep as well.
    Last edited by roberteker; 12-13-2019, 07:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X