Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature request: native c# support. Or at least epic helping to debug the usharp plugin and make it production ready.

Comment

Request please - Slice modifier animation support from 3ds max

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua42777 View Post
        Feature request: native c# support. Or at least epic helping to debug the usharp plugin and make it production ready.
        I know by now, our position on C# is that it is essential for AEC development. So many tools are made using C# and being able to port them to UE4 would make it a such a powerhouse for development. Developing the same functionality across multiple languages isn't the best thing. Grasshopper is C#, Revit/Dynamo is C# and Unity is too, so support of this would open the floodgates for so many tools to be made available in UE4.

Would be interesting to hear from other Enterprise users what they think
        David Gillespie
        Associate
        Foster + Partners

Comment

Originally posted by MaxISoP View Post
          Both Unity and Lumberyard now have ECS workflow built-in. It would be awesome if Unreal has a ECS workflow.
          Unreal has ECS system available to integrate way before Unity and Lumberyard actually made it. You can google for ECS system for C++ and simply integrate with Unreal Engine and use it. You can find this framework in variety on Github

Comment

I would love an easy way to undo "Merge Actors".

It's really destructive right now, and really problematic to revert.

Very often, I discover that I accidentally merged something I shouldn't have, and then I need to start from zero again and hope I don't do another mistake.

Mistakes are really easy to creep in when you have thousands of parts in an import.

EDIT: To clarify, I was talking about the "Merge Actors" found in the developer menu. Apparently, there's a different workflow with Visual Dataprep as well.
            Last edited by roberteker; 12-13-2019, 07:16 AM.

Comment

I still hope there soon will be full support for native Direct import of Autodesk 3DS Max, Revit, VRED and Trimble SketchUp Pro files, so that poor indie developers could convert/import paid assets/projects bought on other marketplaces directly into UE4 whenever FBX or other exchanging formats are missing as well as not having to deal with materials conversions for expensive renderers like V-Ray and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkS474 View Post
                I still hope there soon will be full support for native Direct import of Autodesk 3DS Max, Revit, VRED and Trimble SketchUp Pro files, so that poor indie developers could convert/import paid assets/projects bought on other marketplaces directly into UE4 whenever FBX or other exchanging formats are missing as well as not having to deal with materials conversions for expensive renderers like V-Ray and so on.
                Datasmith does this - it's been added to 4.24.
                (Merry Christmas)
                David Gillespie
                Associate
                Foster + Partners

Comment

Originally posted by david.gillespie View Post

Datasmith does this - it's been added to 4.24.
                  (Merry Christmas)
                  Unfortunately this is not the case. You need to have a valid license for these products and then use the Datasmith exporter to output a .udatasmith file that you can subsequently import into Unreal.
                  This is for licensing reasons I believe and is not likely to change.
                  There is no reason why Unreal shouldn't support .blend files natively as Unity does however....

Comment

Originally posted by IslandPlaya View Post

Unfortunately this is not the case. You need to have a valid license for these products and then use the Datasmith exporter to output a .udatasmith file that you can subsequently import into Unreal.
                    There is no reason why Unreal shouldn't support .blend files natively as Unity does however....
                    Licensing reason ? How can that be possible?

Here is the link to the current status of supported software... Autodesk Alias Wire, Autodesk AutoCAD, Autodesk Inventor have direct import support while Autodesk 3DS MAX, Revit and VRED need the export plugin so requiring to own the software packages.
                    If that was a license issue with Autodesk.. why would they allow Epic Games to create native direct import code for Alias Wire, AutoCAD and Inventor files but stop them from doing the same with 3DS MAX, Revit and VRED ?

And there is direct import support for PTC Creo Pro/ENGINEER, Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks and CATIA V5 which are far from cheap software... it just doesn't make much sense that only some Autodesk packages would never get direct import support.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...pes/index.html
                    3D ACIS .sat Up to R21 Direct Datasmith CAD
                    3DEXCITE DELTAGEN .fbx (CSB not supported) 2017, 2018 Export Deltagen FBX
                    3DXML .3drep, .3dxml FS 2.0 Direct Datasmith CAD
                    Autodesk 3ds Max .udatasmith 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 Export Plugin Datasmith Datasmith
                    Autodesk Alias Wire .wire Direct Datasmith CAD
                    Autodesk AutoCAD .dwg Direct Datasmith CAD
                    Autodesk Inventor .iam, .ipt Up to 2018 Direct Datasmith CAD
                    Autodesk Revit .udatasmith 2018.3, 2019, 2020 Export Plugin Datasmith Datasmith
                    Autodesk VRED .fbx VRED Professional 2018 and 2019 Export Plugin VRED FBX
                    Dassault Systèmes CATIA V5 .CATpart, .CATproduct, .cgr R10 - R24 Direct Datasmith CAD
                    Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks .sldasm, .sldprt Up to 2017 Direct Datasmith CAD
                    ESRI CityEngine .udatasmith Export Plugin Datasmith Datasmith
                    glTF .gltf 2.0 Direct GLTF glTF
                    Industry Foundation Classes (IFC) .ifc IFC 2x3 Direct IFC IFC
                    Initial Graphics Exchange Specification (IGES) .iges, .igs 5.2, 5.3 Direct Datasmith CAD
                    JT Open .jt Up to 10 Direct Datasmith CAD
                    MAXON Cinema 4D .c4d Direct Cinema 4D C4D
                    McNeel Rhinoceros .3dm up to 6 Direct Datasmith CAD
                    Parasolid (x_t) .x_t up to 20 Direct Datasmith CAD
                    PTC Creo (Pro/ENGINEER) .asm, .creo, .neu, .prt V13 up to Creo 4 Direct Datasmith CAD
                    Siemens NX .asm, .prt V11 - NX9 Direct Datasmith CAD
                    STEP .step, .stp AP203, AP214, AP242 Direct Datasmith CAD
                    Trimble SketchUp Pro .udatasmith 2017, 2018, 2019 Export Plugin Datasmith Datasmith
                    Last edited by DarkS474; 12-25-2019, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Dataprep should have a box mapping UV unwrap node, with real-world units as input for the tiling (yes, I know you can achieve it with materials, but not everyone using Datasmith is a shader wizard).

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken, Unreal Studio included Datasmith functionality was included in Unreal Studio which has been wrapped into 4.24. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.
                        David Gillespie
                        Associate
                        Foster + Partners

Comment

Originally posted by david.gillespie View Post

Unless I'm mistaken, Unreal Studio included Datasmith functionality was included in Unreal Studio which has been wrapped into 4.24. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.
                          What you say is true. However if you want to use models in Max, Revit, Sketchup etc format then you need to own these applications. Unreal won't import their native file/project formats.

Comment

Hi, I need to read PDF files in UE4.
                            A data of assets contain the path to the PDF file and I need to watch it in the viewport.
                            Maybe it's already possible but it seems no.
                            Is it possible now and how?
                            Thks.

Comment

I would like Dataprep to have it's merge functionality work similar to HLODs:

Define a radius, and check if the total bounds of each sub-hierarchy (ie CAD assembly) can fit within that radius, and if so, merge those actors.
                              Last edited by roberteker; 01-08-2020, 11:13 AM.

Comment

What you say is true. However if you want to use models in Max, Revit, Sketchup etc format then you need to own these applications. Unreal won't import their native file/project formats.
                                Correct - however also check out the direct model import options too as there are a lot of native formats supported there too which may help you out
                                David Gillespie
                                Associate
                                Foster + Partners

Comment

Working...
                                X