X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Hello everyone,

I noticed that in the beta version I have problems with importing fbx.

It seems to lose faces.

Does it happen to you too?
    Last edited by Stephen Ellis; 06-20-2018, 05:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sequencer video renders at runtime/packaged projects, please! We need the functionality to render videos to disk exposed through blueprints.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Two (2) point perspective.
    I know this does not make seance in a gaming environment, but for anything Architectural related this is very important.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You'd be happily surprised to learn how many of those wishes are in progress...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by roberteker View Post
    A robust and modern hierarchy system, with expand all, collapse all, hide/delete subtree, etc. etc.

The hierarchy support in Unreal right now is so rudumentary and volatile that we still prefer to use Unity. Unreal is also really picky about object and file naming, which Unity isn't, and you get a lot of long and complicated file/part names with CAD importing.
    +1 for this. Ken, I know you did mention the team is aware of this but if I may add another vote for this so you can tally up feedback. Specifically the Hierarchy and layer explorer is very limited. If your team wants to look at examples to follow I would say Max is not a bad place to start as it is pretty powerful when is comes to its layer and hierarchy explorers. There are some issue with allowing duplicate names and so on that maybe shouldn't be that way however simple things like:
    • Collapse all
    • Auto collapse
    • Select children
    • Allow nested layers
    Addition features that would be useful are:
    • A more powerful layer or grouping system (perhaps Both). I listed a few things above but in depth research could be done on this
    • Allow quick isolation of objects
    • More robust snapping and alignment tools - options to choose what to snap to or functionality to press tab to switch to different reference points (this is a hard one to do but look to Revit as a example software. I know that their software is intended for industrial use so accuracy is very important which is not such the case for UE but look at how things can be rotated and moved by any point or reference accurately and easily)
    • More effective select all assets with the same Material (Maybe its just me but i cant always get this to work right)
    • Selection Sets Feature. Additional to having Grouping and layers. Selections sets can be a real life saver in Max
    • Simple Uv mapping - Planar. Cylindrical etc. This is just a nice to have for some of those odd Revit object that need better mapping
    • Fixing the issue with using altered pivots correctly in UE. With the Revit plugin coming these types of changes will only be done in UE and not Max. So offsetting the pivot to the end of the door so it can be animated in sequencer is going to be required. - it is possible to hack this with creating an parent actor and moving the static mesh the to the correct place of the desired pivot but the current pivot offset feature should work with sequencer)
    These are just a few things that would allow UE to become alot easier to manage as a go to solution for Visualization. UE with the intention of Datasmith is in effect replacing many common tasks that one would use a DCC app to do. It would likely become the final software where all other data is being imported and composited in. Therefor Organization of actors and the ability to correctly place data from multiple sources in the final level is very important.

A simple example of where I hope our workflow in ArchViz will go in the coming year or two.
    • The building will be created in Revit and Linked/updated directly into UE using the coming Datasmith plugin (Cant wait for this become a reality)
    • 2D/3D plans will quickly be exported to MAX as a reference to allow population and placement of custom interior assets (either created in MAX or SKP) - Populating Interior in UE really isnt the best workflow so its best to do that in a DCC app.
    • Interiors will then be exported to UE from MAX with datasmith (The ability to properly update these assets with proper bi-direction sync is vital - no more finding which actors need to be deleted in UE because the scene in MAX has changed - I believe this issue better resolved in the next version)
    • Utilize Substance materials as much as possible (I hope Datasmith will translate this material from MAX to UE in the future with the new substance plugin for max now available. Substance materials should not have their textures exported but rather a link to the actual substance file with the correct preset used in the max mat should be done when exported)
    • Utilize SpeedTree for vegetation.
    • Render HQ stills with VRAY for UE (For now this is requirement till hardware is up to date with DXR than maybe Vray would not be so necessary bu certainly still useful)
    • Produce walk-throughs / VR experiences / videos with already power UE features.
    If the Team working on DataSmith can keep this workflow in mind when testing and creating new feature I think this would be wise as I see UE being used in this way a lot more for ArchViz. I know thier focus is mostly on the export and transfer tools however i like the new addtions being added in 4.20 like Mesh Editing. You guys are on track to start making more changes to the way the editor functions and how it can be more efficient and easier to use and not just translating data from different sources. So although alot of the above mention are just mere wishes, in the long term they can be invaluable.
    Last edited by MarcelJFA; 06-08-2018, 08:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's coming. We successfully compiled it for 2019, but we still have to QA it and we're all at Unreal Academy. Sorry, shouldn't have to wait more than a week or two.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/studio/downloads has been updated for the 4.20 preview release. Still no Datasmith exporter for Max 2019!!!!
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Another patiently waiting for 2019 support here, thanks to anyone listening! We had already made the move to 2010 and don't want to roll back to get Unreal/Datasmith operational. Here is hoping :-) Cheers, John

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello,
    Lots of people (including me) want to have the compatible exporter for 3dsmax 2019. currently it doesn't support 2019. here is even a thread about this topic:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...-max-2019.html

I bought couple of v-ray scenes that i need to import to ue4. Will there be any update about this problem anytime soon? Im currently using trail version to try unreal studio. renting v-ray and 3dsmax will depend on unreal studio.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    We are constantly working on improving the templates that ship with Unreal Studio. We know we have further to go. Nothing should stop you from using Blueprint VR with assets from Unreal Studio (that I know of).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, I am new to UE & VR. I am wondering if Unreal Studio will have similar template like the Blueprint VR in future?

Currently the Product Viewer VR is not exactly like Blueprint VR, where we pickup, throw & interact with objects -or- is it possible to create something like that with Product Viewer template? I am coming from archvis industry and wanted to create something like Blueprint VR but using the benefit of Datasmith export/import process.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    mikrons
    Niagara's dev-branch has been merged into master branch yesterday

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mikrons View Post

This is great news. I think Niagra might cover most of the bases provided it performs well. If I get and build the master branch will it contain Niagra functionality?
    I'm not sure. Watch for 4.20 previews.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, I have an idea of something that could be added to its engine.
    Sometimes we have to go from a blueprint actor to a blueprint character.
    Se would be well its of power with a variable or other that could be of the blueprint of an actor and that one could receive on the blueprint of a character.
    I was often blocked because of this problem.
    There you go!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by kenpimentel View Post
    You might check out our new particle system and see if you can use it to do some of what you're trying to do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNPYdfRVPtM

Multi-channel rendering is coming. Contact us for details.

This is great news. I think Niagra might cover most of the bases provided it performs well. If I get and build the master branch will it contain Niagra functionality?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X