This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Your path is probably through 3Ds max. We could consider dwg, but your version would require object enablers that only autodesk provides that we don’t have access to.

I can be wrong it’s been a long time I was exposed to those technical aspects..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello all,
    I work at a construction firm and have been following several companies who are getting into the VR realm. They are uploading their models into software to be able to walk the job sites and give their foreman a better understanding of what they are going to be building. My company currently uses AutoCAD MEP and Fabrication MEP, both produce dwg files and I noticed that Unreal studios doesn't support those files yet. Is there any way to get those file types available for the engine?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I second the greggotsch request but from CityEngine end. CityEngine utilizes raster DEMs but landscape offers lot more functionality.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is on our list of "to do", just that there is a lot of stuff ahead of it. We're aware of the problem.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is it possible to request a more streamlined terrain to landscape conversion? Currently exporting terrain as a datasmith is great but lacking the functionality of a landscape object. I am trying to incorporate UE into my workflow for large scale visualizations using real world survey data and it would be great if I could import graded civil 3d terrain objects into max and then export them as datasmith and have them functions as a landscape in UE4. If there is already a plan for this or I have missed another suggested workflow to accomplish this my apologies.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by cwm83 View Post
    Testing 4.20 with Rhino, and definitely enjoying the improvements! The reimport process has been noticeably improved, but still a few requests:
    Edit: After testing with Blocks some more, the recent changes have unfortunately made them nearly worthless, at least for my workflow. The pivot point of the imported block actor is at zero, forcing the elements within the block to have non-zero relative transforms, which is pretty much the opposite of how blocks are meant to behave in my mind. The added actor within the hierarchy breaks the layer=actor pattern that helps navigate through the scene, so they hurt not just block workflow, but also breaks layer-based workflows. And most importantly, the usefulness of a block is that if I change one, that change is seen in all of them. When they came in a single static mesh, I could at least easily replace that one mesh with my own custom mesh. Now I have to write a custom editor script that searches by name, digs down the hierarchy to the components to get the appropriate world pivot, spawns my custom actor at that spot, and deletes the imported actors. I think importing them as blueprints by default would come closest to mimicking how they work in Rhino. If anyone finds them more useful this way, I'd enjoy hearing about it. Maybe I am thinking about them all wrong!
    Can you log this as a bug?
    Report Unreal Studio bugs here: https://unrealstudiohelp.epicgames.c...I-report-a-bug

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Stephen Ellis View Post
    gidiodev
    sbecker777

Please reserve this topic for feature requests, and not issues. You are welcome to create a new topic, or log a support ticket for Unreal Studio workflow issues here. Although, since you mention importing FBX and not files through the Datasmith workflow, then it sounds like it may be a general engine issue, in which case it should be logged as a bug report here.

Thanks
    thanks for the answer, I apologize for having the wrong page.
    I will try to report the bug, in the correct section.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi there!

I work as a VR programmer revolving around Cinematic/Archvis content. The following is primarily requested for the '3DS Max to UE4' pipeline:

UE4 Import process:
    - Have a checklist to update only the objects intended, not at a bulk each time.
    (Like the 'import into level' feature)
    - Option to retain custom lightmap info on a per object basis.
    (Lightmaps assigned within UE4 are overwritten on reimport.)
    - High-level ability to control the lightmap generation on import.
    (I.e add auto unwrap or which UV channel ID to use.)
    - Option to delete existing geometry on update rather than being additive
    (i.e keeps the UE scene in sync with the Datasmith file)

3DS Max Export Process:
    - Integrate the 'deletemesh' modifier and delete existing geometry accordingly.
    - better handling of non-Xformed objects
    - Integrate object visibility as an animation track or similar.

~ Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by davide445 View Post
    Ok returning to UE/US for a special kind of archviz project, comparing with Lumion and searching for the faster way to populate and render an area and existing BIM architecture with vegetation, persons, materials, etc I did say a huge collection of pre-made assets will be beneficial.
    Lumion appear to be way inferior in term of rendering customization and dynamics, but it's really easy to use with the tons of pre-made assets one can just push inside his project.
    Sure professionals as I see in this forum didn't need this, but for less tech capable users and use cases where the final goal it's to push out a result in the fastest way can be a real plus.
    A Lumion license is costing about 30 months of Unreal Studio subscription but came with 1465 models, the Pro cost twice but come with 4395 models and more features, there is space to go from current Unreal Studio 100 materials.
    Returning on the same project will be also valuable a tool for importing GIS buildings such as OSM.
    If Unreal Studio ambition is more than being only for interior renderings this is one of the first needs, and I didn't find any reliable tool to do so, except the beautiful CityEngine that's anyway an overkill for most needs.
    Last edited by davide445; 06-25-2018, 03:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Testing 4.20 with Rhino, and definitely enjoying the improvements! The reimport process has been noticeably improved, but still a few requests:

1. Option to delete assets that have been removed from the original file (one option to remove from the level only, and another option to also delete from the unreal project entirely). Currently, the static mesh actors that correspond to deleted objects remain in the level, but are not attached to a layer-actor. This makes them relatively easy to spot and delete manually, but still a pain when it includes potentially hundreds or even thousands of meshes. We go through lots of iterations, and having to manually delete these makes it often not any better (and sometimes worse) than simply importing the entire file as a whole new level.

2. Option to merge blocks into a single mesh on import.

3. Bring back the option to import a file as a blueprint!

4.Not sure how technically feasible this is, but an option to only to reimport a selected mesh (or potentially the whole file, but only overwrite geometry that has changed). Currently, if I make one change to the texture mapping of one object, reimport still overwrites all the other meshes, and then I have to re-save all of them. Not deal breaker, but it does take significant time for very large files.

5. Option for material behavior for geometry with no materials assigned to be a basic white instead of using layer color.

Thanks!

Edit: After testing with Blocks some more, the recent changes have unfortunately made them nearly worthless, at least for my workflow. The pivot point of the imported block actor is at zero, forcing the elements within the block to have non-zero relative transforms, which is pretty much the opposite of how blocks are meant to behave in my mind. The added actor within the hierarchy breaks the layer=actor pattern that helps navigate through the scene, so they hurt not just block workflow, but also breaks layer-based workflows. And most importantly, the usefulness of a block is that if I change one, that change is seen in all of them. When they came in a single static mesh, I could at least easily replace that one mesh with my own custom mesh. Now I have to write a custom editor script that searches by name, digs down the hierarchy to the components to get the appropriate world pivot, spawns my custom actor at that spot, and deletes the imported actors. I think importing them as blueprints by default would come closest to mimicking how they work in Rhino. If anyone finds them more useful this way, I'd enjoy hearing about it. Maybe I am thinking about them all wrong!
    Last edited by cwm83; 06-22-2018, 01:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    We import whatever a renderer in 3ds Max would see. Doesn't that mean we support SmartRefs?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Datasmith Team,

Another quick request There is a fantastic new plugin called SmartRefs, it basically does everything Xref scene, object and containers were suppose to do.
    The developer is very active and helpful. The site has documentation for accessing his plugin via maxscript which might be helpful if you plan to integrate compatibility with Datasmith.

I might be worth supporting it as I think this plugin is very powerful and its here to stay. I see Kstudio's Project manager plugin for max already supports SmartRefs.
    I personally have not yet tried to export a scene with Datasmith that has a SmartRef linked to it.

http://smartrefs.com/
    http://smartrefs.com/documentation/maxscript/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    gidiodev
    sbecker777

Please reserve this topic for feature requests, and not issues. You are welcome to create a new topic, or log a support ticket for Unreal Studio workflow issues here. Although, since you mention importing FBX and not files through the Datasmith workflow, then it sounds like it may be a general engine issue, in which case it should be logged as a bug report here.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I just tried an FBX import to level, and I was missing faces as well. Thought I was the only one, or that my model was messed up.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello everyone,

I noticed that in the beta version I have problems with importing fbx.

It seems to lose faces.

Does it happen to you too?
    Last edited by Stephen Ellis; 06-20-2018, 05:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X