This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Hey Daniele, I agree -- we've been having conversations on the docs team recently about exactly this. The challenge is how to expose new updates in a way that won't overload you with notifications about typo fixes and content that you don't care about, so you can focus on what matters to you, without forcing you to subscribe individually to each individual page.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It would be very useful to receive an alert when new content is posted in the unreal studio online help. I have a check on the material already read, as happens for the videos of the Academy.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think it has been remarked as item in whishlist, but I insist on highlight it: it is really needed to generate UE4 terrain in MDL criterion from level curves, or directly import meshes representing terrain but not using heighmaps. In Civil Engineering it is very common to have mixed terrains with real topology but also excavations or aditions, and so on. Doing this work with heighmaps suffers from precision as many times we work with 1 meter or less level curves for bridges or other items.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by kenpimentel View Post
    Yes, we know we have to go back and look at these workflows now that we have MDL/AxF support. Did you create your own library of MDL?

Hey,

Yeah we've create our material library as and when projects have been rendered in 3DS Max. We always start out in substances (usually making Bitsmaps in B2M3 then importing them into Designer to create the MDL file.

We then load that into vray/iray and render using their supporting nodes.

Let me know if you require anything further though!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Definitely agree on the simplification aspects of Unreal Studio. This is targeting users who are not primarily game developers. The more drag and drop the better. "Modules" for archvis and product viewer aren't a bad idea.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by werx60 View Post

I did not install prerequisites of the same UE4 version on all machines. Should I?

No worries if your busy I understand.

Thanks

AM
    I've answered by private, I think this is not the topic for swarm issues.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the feedback, this is all on our agenda.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In order for Unreal Studio to capture archvis market, 'Simplification' is the key, I believe.

1. Simpler Setups
    Currently Unreal Engine is just too complex to be used for day-to-day visualisation for archi / archvis firms & artists. It requires steep learning process and more manpower than the conventional visualisation tools. In archvis industry, design changes regularly and often happens in the last minutes. Many opt to Enscape, Twinmotion or Lumion to produce quick / instant realtime visualisation. VRay, for instance, has this Quick Settings for starters who do not wish to dig into all the settings.
    Personally I think, it would be great if Unreal Studio provides alternative simpler settings / interface for starters, while all settings (incl. blueprints) are still avaiable at the background for expert users.

2. Stock Libraries / Pre-built Modules
    Not merely meshes and materials.
    Having many small 'modules' can help speed up the process. This can be for example : a default unreal master material, realtime clock, open/close door, light switch or other 'most-used' items. I understand these items can be easily built & setup at the background, but as speed matters in this industry, having those in some kind of modules that we can simply drag & drop will definitely speed up the process.

Datasmith in this case is one good example of what archvis industry really needs. It does simplify the process.
    Looking forward to a 'simpler' Unreal Engine / Unreal Studio.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Anaximedes View Post

Ok. I saw your private message but the image was too small. Here I can see it better.

The line that says "Failed to determine engine directory..." may be the key. Did you installed Prerequisites of the same UE4 version in all the machines?

Give me some days, I'm actually overworked...
    I did not install prerequisites of the same UE4 version on all machines. Should I?

No worries if your busy I understand.

Thanks

AM

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes, we know we have to go back and look at these workflows now that we have MDL/AxF support. Did you create your own library of MDL?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Have to ask - MDL import process from 3DS max -> prevents retexturing the model with the exact MDL materials all over again in Unreal and having to import each one individually (Either vray or iray - Would just love this feature). If that was done, our office would adopt unreal within a heart beat!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by werx60 View Post

OK so you are the only person on this forum to answer my question pertaining to my swarm issue. So I thank you for that.

I did follow the link you sent. Unfortunately I am still running into the same problem I was prior.

I keep getting the same error message. "certifcate check has failed.....then Failed to load error messages. 4 different ones.

I have four machines that I can use on my network all day except I cant get swarm to work.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Alex
    Ok. I saw your private message but the image was too small. Here I can see it better.

The line that says "Failed to determine engine directory..." may be the key. Did you installed Prerequisites of the same UE4 version in all the machines?

Give me some days, I'm actually overworked...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Anaximedes View Post

I agree word by word. For lightmassing on swarm here you have recent documentation. I've got near 90 cores running fine.
    OK so you are the only person on this forum to answer my question pertaining to my swarm issue. So I thank you for that.

I did follow the link you sent. Unfortunately I am still running into the same problem I was prior.

I keep getting the same error message. "certifcate check has failed.....then Failed to load error messages. 4 different ones.

I have four machines that I can use on my network all day except I cant get swarm to work.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Alex

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'd like the ability to explode and un-explode CAD assemblies with smooth animation. This is a pretty important/standard feature for viewing any CAD assembly. Are there any plans in the works for this already?

A quick and dirty solution could be having all parts move away from a central point, but that probably wouldn't look too good and wouldn't represent how the product actually comes apart. It would be great if there was a good workflow for positioning all of the parts in the exploded state, saving that exploded state, and then having the ability to animate all of the parts between exploded and un-exploded positions (similar to what can be done within any CAD software).

Here is what I think would be ideal: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...al-parts-in-vr

To give you some context, I am a Mechanical Engineer by day and a freelance game developer by night. I have lots of experience with various CAD software (Solidworks, Creo/Pro Engineer, Fusion 360, OnShape) and I think Unreal Studio could be greatly improved by implementing some of the standard features of any CAD software such as exploding assemblies. There is a chance I'll be implementing Unreal Studio into a large Engineering company if we find it suits our needs, and such a feature would greatly help.
    Last edited by ForemanDesigns; 09-12-2018, 01:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't know if this is the right place to do this but i'm voting for datasmith maya plugin.. I do my architectural work in Maya. The plugin will make my workflow much easier.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X