Instance Tool - Editing instances directly in editor viewport

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instance Tool - Editing instances directly in editor viewport

Click image for larger version  Name:	instancetool_banner_s.jpg Views:	1 Size:	73.2 KB ID:	1192613

Get it from Unreal Engine Marketplace or itch.io!

Instance Tool is an editor mode plugin for Unreal Engine, with it you can manipulate instances of Instanced Static Mesh Component and Hierarchical Instanced Static Mesh Component directly in editor viewport. It also comes with align and snap tools to make level editing with instances much easier!

Features
    • Apply delta transform to instances panel with duplicate option (new in 1.1.3)
    • Distribute/Line-Up instances (new in 1.1.2)
    • Convert between Static Mesh and Instanced Static Mesh (new in 1.1.0)
    • Experimental Blueprint Instances Editing support (new in 1.1.0)
    • Select/move/rotate/scale/add/remove instaces directly in editor viewports
    • Multi-edit supprt
    • Alt + Drag to duplicate instance
    • Marquee select
    • Select by axis
    • Focus to selected instance
    • Hide/unhide widget
    • Lock/unlock selection
    • Align selection by location/rotation
    • Align selection to grid
    • Snap selection by axis
    • Full c++ source code included, works with both Luancher and Github builds
    • Editor mode plugin, works with both c++ and blueprint only projects

Video: Overview (1.0)

Video: Timelapse (1.1.0)

Documentation

Instance Tool User Guide (WIP)

UI
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ui_1.1.2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	1200059

Get it:
    Marketplace
    itchi.io

Change Log

• Add option to convert actors with negative scale to instances
    • Add option to customize converted actor's label
    • Now source actors will be deleted by default after conversion
    • Support non-unity build; Drop 4.14 support

• Add option to mark material 'Used with Instanced Static Mesh' usage flag when converting actors into ISM/HISM instances
    • Change plugin loading phase from 'Default' to 'PostEngineInit' to avoid potential crash reported by users when starting up engine

• Now 4.16 ready; drop 4.13 support
    • Add spawn instances on spline

• Update for 4.15 IWYU header changes

• Add new Spawn panel
    • Now can spawn blueprint instances base on ISM/HISM instances and auto assign instance id to blueprint instances
    • Convert to new ISM/HISM actor base on staic mesh material (thanks Emanuel May from Subiculum Interactive)
    • Set default value of bUseAsOccluder and bDisallowMeshPaintPerInstance for converted ISMA/HISMA,to make it consistent with manual created ISMA/HISMA

• Now 4.15 ready
    • Fixed Mac compile error (thanks jeff_lamarche)

• Add pivot option for converting instance actor
    • Fixed potential ui setting object name collision

• Fix bug enabling actor viewport select might cause editor out of memory due to early cancel of undo transaction

• Add new Delta Transform panel with duplicate option
    • Now can duplicate/delect instances in Edit menu/Select panel or using standardard Ctrl+W/Del hotkeys
    • Add Use Own Snap Dir option in Snap panel
    • Improve Align to Grid function to get rid of gap between 90/180 degree rotated instances
    • Remove Use Local Bound For World Space Box Trace option in Snap panel
    • Set SnapOffset default to 0.f
    • Fix bug PlaceInstancesInto setting not read from save correctly
    • Fix bug setting scale in Transform panel when parent component has scale was wrong
    • Fix bug marquee select should not select invisible instances
    • Fix bug PlaceSourceActorsInFolder not working properly when converting actors to instances

• Add new Distribute panel in Select tab, now can distribute/line-up instances
    • Add Auto Align Scale to Grid option to workaround instances scale drifting issue
    • Avoid applying unnecessary rotation to instances when converting instances between ISMC and HISMC
    • Fixed a bug that undo snapshot not been updated after converting actors to instances

• Adding full undo support
    • All properties of static mesh component will be transfered when converting
    • Add Disable Undo option
    • Fixed a bug editing instance transfrom in transform panel alwas use relative transform even parent component set to use absolute transform
    • Change Name of Select Invalid to Select Overlapped
    • Change Name of Snap Use Last Selected to Snap Follw Last Selected Instance

• Add new Convert Tool, support flexible conversion between Instances to Static Mesh Actors
    • Add experimental Blueprint Instances Editing support
    • Add Snap Offset option to avoid seams between snapped instances
    • Add options to enable select normal actors in InstanceTool editmode
    • Add tolerance for Select By Axis
    • Add Rotate To Hit Normal option for snapping instances
    • Add Select Parent Acotr/Component option
    • Add more notification message when doing vary operations
    • New Icons
    • Minor bug fixes

1.0.2 Fixed instances not translate correctly if parent component has rotation applied

1.0.1 Fixed Mac compile warning

1.0 Initial Release
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Nate; 09-19-2017, 09:58 PM.

• replied
    Hi, I've just converted my project from 4.19 to 4.22 and EVERYTHING that was made with the Instance Tool is now with messed up textures. Rebuilding the project, fixing redirections, moving the project to a clean 4.22 project or using the "Rebuild Instances" button on the tool don't help. All my assets that are made with the Instance Tool are now completely messed up...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey Nate looking to see if you've incorporated the hotfix for precision issues when instancing into 1.2.8? It doesn't appear to be available as an option as far as I can see.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by J.C. Smith View Post

You can use it on existing maps. You just select the actors you want to convert and go to the instance tool panel and hit the convert button and it will convert them.
    yes this tool is good hopefully it gets updated

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Trying to install to game SDK anyone had any successing doing so or is it just pure engine.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by PRESSURE2000 View Post
    how does this tool work if I already have spent 6 months making a map? Can I convert everything with a click of a button or do I need to make my whole map all over from the beginning?
    You can use it on existing maps. You just select the actors you want to convert and go to the instance tool panel and hit the convert button and it will convert them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Nate, have you got a version working with 4.22 preview yet?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    how does this tool work if I already have spent 6 months making a map? Can I convert everything with a click of a button or do I need to make my whole map all over from the beginning?
    Last edited by PRESSURE2000; 03-10-2019, 05:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello, I have pivot offset to world center after i convert static meshes to instance Here video with explanation. https://youtu.be/-vXN8QdsMiw
    In File menu i just reopen level and my pivot wrong
    Can you fix this ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's unclear to me if you are able to go from a previously created instanced static mesh back to the original static meshes using this tool? I ask because I wonder how compatible this is with re-imports from Datasmith.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I wish you would implement some randomize transform/rotation/scale functions into this, because I need them badly right now. Mostly for introducing the lifelike small imperfections making every scene much more natural.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have the same issue.in 4.20,ISMA is correct,but HISMA is wrong,is it solve now?ths~
    Last edited by Michaelmong; 09-22-2018, 06:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you, that's good to know... and puzzling.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    tib_hou Very sorry for the confusion, 'Minimun num converted instances' option was added recently, the default value of "2" might puzzle other users if they're following the manual. I'll change that in next update.

Macw0lf I'm currently investigating the lightmap issue of HISM, it seems an editor issue when applying lightmap data (it's correct in PIE). I haven't nailed down the problematic code, will update you if I've more finding.

The workaround of the issue is after the lightmap been built, save and re-open the map, you should notice the lightmap data apply correctly.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    thanks.. don't think this is the issue. I am using static lights throughout, and my materials are set to use Instanced static meshes.. so would expect this to work out of the box. I found another thread by the author showing how static lighting renders correctly... but I can't seem to get that result.

So tried a brand new 4.20 project with nothing but a few cubes and a material. same problem! This should be very easy to replicate and confirm as a bug?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X