No announcement yet.

Instance Tool - Editing instances directly in editor viewport

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, so I used this plugin to basically select all the objects in my 6000 objects scene, and we brought it down to about 1500 ISMA. Unfortunately about 800 of the remaining ISMA have only 1 instance in them, which actually adds needless calculation. Anyone know if there's a way to either only convert actors if there's at least 2 of them, or convert ISMA back to static mesh actors if there's only one?

Thanks very much!
    Alex Coulombe
    Creative Director
    Agile Lens: Immersive Design
    New York City
    www.agilelens.com

Comment

iBrews

I'm adding a "Minimum Num Converted Instances" option in next update so you can customize minimum instances needed to be converted into HISMA/ISMA.
      | twitter | github | #ue4tip

Comment

I've just submitted a fix for UE-17458 (https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-17458)

Pull Request here: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/4584

With the fix, there's a new "Use Full Precision Instance Stream" option in ISMC detail panel (Advance Property), by checking this option on, full precision vertex array will be used instead of half float. (To solve the seam issue between instances due to lack of precision)

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
          iBrews

I'm adding a "Minimum Num Converted Instances" option in next update so you can customize minimum instances needed to be converted into HISMA/ISMA.
          AWESOME. Can't wait
          Alex Coulombe
          Creative Director
          Agile Lens: Immersive Design
          New York City
          www.agilelens.com

Comment

Hi Nate, I'm having a problem with LODs when using your tool. Once converted to a ISMA the LODs do not work as setup in the mesh. To do testing I converted a cluster of rocks to ISMA and left one of them in the front unconverted. The unconverted mesh is well past it's 5th LOD before any of the other converted mesh even hits LOD 1. I am unsure if I am doing something wrong or not. I have gone over the tool over and over again to see if there is something I am missing. My draw calls are lower but my FPS changes significantly when I hide or show the converted mesh. I am talking 10 FPS drop. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

hi nate!

i ´m using ue4.19.2 and i just bought your plugin"instance tool" and i got a huge problem with it:

- i took my hierarchy meshes and converted them into "actors (hisma).
              - Those actors are shown in my viewport
              - but when i duplicate these actors, they are invisible in my viewport.....
              and thats not so good ;-)

what can i do to fix this problem?

thanks for an answer!

greetz
              loopon
              Last edited by loopon; 07-09-2018, 05:21 AM.

Comment

loopon, you can try duplicate those actors when Instance Tool is open. (When you duplicating HISMA in normal editor mode, the instances won't be duplicated but only actor itself get duplicated)

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSwide View Post
                  Hi Nate, I'm having a problem with LODs when using your tool. Once converted to a ISMA the LODs do not work as setup in the mesh. To do testing I converted a cluster of rocks to ISMA and left one of them in the front unconverted. The unconverted mesh is well past it's 5th LOD before any of the other converted mesh even hits LOD 1. I am unsure if I am doing something wrong or not. I have gone over the tool over and over again to see if there is something I am missing. My draw calls are lower but my FPS changes significantly when I hide or show the converted mesh. I am talking 10 FPS drop. Any help would be appreciated.
                  Hi SuperSwide, sorry for late reply. The material used by the ISMA should has the "Use with Instanced Static Mesh" option checked otherwise the LODs might not working properly.

Comment

Instance Tool 1.2.6 update with 4.20 support is now live on both itch.io and Unreal marketplace.

Change Log:

------------------
                    * Add option to specific minimum instances needed to be converted from static meshes into instanced static meshes
                    * Add option to delete source (H)ISMA after all instaces been converted
                    * Now delete instances and ISMAs after converted by default
                    * Add 4.20 support

Comment

version 4.20 crashes on deleting an instance of a HISMA after I save it as a BP in content folder

Comment

Hi saeedc, I can reproduce the crash, working on a fix now.

Comment

Hi Nate, the materials on the rock clusters are instanced from a master material. That master material was set to use with instanced static mesh. I don't think that is the issue. Is anyone else having the same problem as me?

Comment

Instance Tool 1.2.7 is now live on both itch.io and unreal marketplace.

Change Log:

------------------
                            * Fix editor crash when editing blueprint instances
                            * Fix a bug that first instance selection not been registered for undo
                            * Refactoring undo system
                            saeedc please let me know if you still experience crash when editing instances inside blueprint

SuperSwide can you send me a test project with the problematic mesh if possible?

Comment

Hi Nate

I can make IT work if I manually create a instanced mesh, but it wont convert a static mesh to an instance, like it say on page 1 of the guide.

I select the actor in the viewport, switch to IT and click the 'convert to instances' button, and the plugin just says '0 actors have been converted to 0 instances of 0 actors!'.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comment

Dear Nate

Please see the attached steps, I can't get it to convert a mesh to an instance...

Thank you!

Pete
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X