No announcement yet.

Instance Tool - Editing instances directly in editor viewport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=283145]SOuNDSNC[/MENTION], sorry for the crash. I can't reproduce the crash on my test, but from the call stack it seems like a conflit between editor modes when registering, I might need your help to identify the root cause:

1. Is there any other editor mode plugins installed?

2. Do you experience same crash if you put Instance Tool to launcher version's plugins folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.15\Engine\Plugins) ?

3. If you move Instance Tool from engine's Plugin folder to project's Plugins, will it crash too?

4. Is there any error output in Visual Studio output window if you're running from Visual Studio?

5. Open "InstanceTool.uplugin" (e.g. C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.15\Engine\Plugins\InstanceTool\InstanceTool.uplugin) in text editor, change line:

Code:
    "LoadingPhase": "Default"
    to

Code:
    "LoadingPhase" : "PostEngineInit"
    Is that make a different?
    | twitter | github | #ue4tip

Comment

The PostEngineInit option did the trick, thank you!

Comment

Hi! Just bought the plugin and was having the same problem as SOuNDSNC in 4.16. Changing the LoadingPhase fixed it for me as well.

Comment

[MENTION=14967]lucasncv[/MENTION], thanks a lot for letting me know! I'll make the LoadingPhase default to "PostEngineInit" in next update. (though I still can't reproduced the crash on my own environment, weird)

Comment

1.2.3 maintenance release is now live on itch.
            Unreal marketplace version submitted.

• Add option to mark material 'Used with Instanced Static Mesh' usage flag when converting actors into ISM/HISM instances
            • Change plugin loading phase from 'Default' to 'PostEngineInit' to avoid potential crash reported by users when starting up engine

Comment

[MENTION=702]Nate[/MENTION] hi there, 1st time user here. I watched your videos but I have a bit of a problem. I converted all my floor planes into a single instance using your tool, but the draw calls seem unchanged. I also had a bit of a lag on the 1st time I played the level after converting the said planes.

Any tips?
              Grand Guilds | Twitter | Facebook

AI Behavior Toolkit - UE4 Marketplace

Comment

Hi [MENTION=12406]Jujaswe[/MENTION], the drawcalls reported in level editor viewport is not always accurate, you can check more accurate mesh drawcall numbers by click "Play - Standalone Game", then press "`" key to invoke console window, type in "stat scenerendering" to view rendering stats.

Here's a test scene with 82 cylinders:
                When placing cylinders as normal static mesh actors: http://i.imgur.com/DoG4pSc.jpg
                When placing cylinders as HISM instances: http://i.imgur.com/JP5u7AU.jpg

Comment

Hi [MENTION=702]Nate[/MENTION], I just started using this. My mobile scene went from 20fps to 50fps, pretty big difference! It's a really essential tool.

Just four points/questions:
                  1. I came across the mirrored asset bug which is mentioned earlier, I assume this is not fixed yet in UE? The shadows etc were still being cast, but the asset appeared invisible/glitched for some reason.

2. The names/labels/tagging of the assets is a little confusing at first, so I wasn't sure what I was working with after a while - as far as I can tell, by default (most use cases), when you instance an actor, the original actor's rendering is turned off and it's then moved into the source actors folder. And then when you convert the instance back into an actor, it doesn't use the original actor but creates a new copy that is placed in converted and that one can also be manipulated directly with your plugin tool. Something like that..?

3. Is there a way to easily ungroup instances into new groups or something? When I first used the tool, I just selected a bunch of stuff in the outliner to convert into instances, but then later realized I didn't like how they were grouped/was difficult to work with/move around. And then I kind of made a mess with converting stuff (as in point 2), but no worries I'll get used to it..

4. A lot of walls/assets have a dashed seam inbetween instances.. any idea how to fix these? The attached screenshot shows HISMA instances at the top (with the seam) and the bottom parts are actors which appear fine. I'd be really happy to know what is causing this.

Edit: Seems you need to right click that image and click open in new tab to see it fully. Not sure why you can't just left click it.. but whatever.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Krenade; 08-05-2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RodenHirata View Post
                    1. I came across the mirrored asset bug which is mentioned earlier, I assume this is not fixed yet in UE? The shadows etc were still being cast, but the asset appeared invisible/glitched for some reason.
                    As far as i know that the bug hasn't been fixed yet. The workaround is that either avoid using mirrored asset with instancing or create an new HISMA for all mirrored assets (with mirror apply on HISMA but not instanced meshes).

2. The names/labels/tagging of the assets is a little confusing at first, so I wasn't sure what I was working with after a while - as far as I can tell, by default (most use cases), when you instance an actor, the original actor's rendering is turned off and it's then moved into the source actors folder. And then when you convert the instance back into an actor, it doesn't use the original actor but creates a new copy that is placed in converted and that one can also be manipulated directly with your plugin tool. Something like that..?

3. Is there a way to easily ungroup instances into new groups or something? When I first used the tool, I just selected a bunch of stuff in the outliner to convert into instances, but then later realized I didn't like how they were grouped/was difficult to work with/move around. And then I kind of made a mess with converting stuff (as in point 2), but no worries I'll get used to it..
                    It seems that part of the confusion comes from the fact the naming of converted actor is generated and hard to find in the scene outliner. I'll add option to let user specific the naming of converted actors in future update.

4. A lot of walls/assets have a dashed seam inbetween instances.. any idea how to fix these? The attached screenshot shows HISMA instances at the top (with the seam) and the bottom parts are actors which appear fine. I'd be really happy to know what is causing this.
                    It's a renderer issue, log within UE-17458: https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-17458. It's current status is "Backlogged" so probably won't be fixed in official release anytime soon. I fixed that in my own repository and will submit it to Epic as a pull request soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
                      It's a renderer issue, log within UE-17458: https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-17458. It's current status is "Backlogged" so probably won't be fixed in official release anytime soon. I fixed that in my own repository and will submit it to Epic as a pull request soon.
                      That's great news, thanks. It happened again on completely different assets so I was really confused!

But anyway, can't state how essential this tool is. My mobile games are now much faster, thanks! And I haven't even tested the good stuff yet

Comment

Hey there [MENTION=702]Nate[/MENTION] !

i have question! if i convert all my static mesh actors into a single instanced static mesh actor in a engine with the plugin, and later I move the project to other engine version without the plugin, I will lose the stuff? or the generated instanced static mesh actor will keep working without the plugin? if it keeps working I will buy this!

Thanks!
                        Last edited by WhitmanAndOlbert; 08-17-2017, 12:11 PM.
                        We Are Brothers, Interested in the game development, since 2014, we have been learning fast, with passion, all the topics related with the videogames development world, and now, with a bit of knowledge, the UE4 Marketplace offer us a opportunity for success, Thanks Epic Games!

Our New PC:

CPU: I5 6600K 3.5GHz
                        GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
                        RAM: 2x8GB G.skill TridentZ 3200MHz

Marketplace Content: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...20And%20Olbert

Comment

Hi [MENTION=518508]WhitmanAndOlbert[/MENTION], the converted instanced static mesh actor will works without the plugin. Actually you can just disable the plugin after the conversion if you only need the convert function.

Comment

Instance Tool 1.2.4 update is now live on itch.io. Marketplace update submitted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	InstanceTool124.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1356655

Change Log:

------------------
                            * Add option to convert actors with negative scale to instances
                            * Add option to customize converted actor's label
                            * Now source actors will be deleted by default after conversion
                            * Support non-unity build; Drop 4.14 support

Comment

Heya ! I have a question, I never worked with instances before. and I was wondering if instances could be used for objects that spawn, for example collectable objects. Or are they only good for static mesh ?

Comment

Hi Tuxmask75, you can use instanced static mesh for both static or dynamic objects.

Here's a video showcase how to use instances within blueprint.

Comment

Working...
                                X