Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GAUGING INTEREST] AAA Grass

Post updated:

Once again we're pleased to have the opportunity to have something to offer to this great community! This time, what you needed the most! [Purchase here]

Package intro and description

Spoiler

Example setups:

Spoiler

Performance test:

Spoiler

Other products:

Last edited by Maximum-Dev; 09-11-2016, 10:50 AM.

The thing that really matters most with grass is how it's optimized give that UE4 still uses crapped deferred rendering and not forward. Can you give some stats on resource consumption and optimization strategies employed to ensure it looks good but doesn't drop the guillotine on framerate?
    Ironbelly Studios- Your External UE4 Development Partner: AAA Quality Services at Indie Prices
    Request a quote today:
    https://ironbellystudios.com
    Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ironbellystudios

Comment

Hey Ryan,

Sure thing.
      The scene there contains 44,500 grass instances. Running with a GTX 970 at 1080p it gives ~87 FPS. Haven't cleaned up the shader for optimization purposes yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
        Hey Ryan,

Sure thing.
        The scene there contains 44,500 grass instances. Running with a GTX 970 at 1080p it gives ~87 FPS. Haven't cleaned up the shader for optimization purposes yet.

What's the material instruction count in that scene if you don't mind me asking? All things considered grass of that density and distance at that framerate on that hardware isn't too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by hippowombat View Post
          What's the material instruction count in that scene if you don't mind me asking? All things considered grass of that density and distance at that framerate on that hardware isn't too bad.
          Right now it's 110 instructions. There is room for optimization.

Comment

Hey Ryan,

Sure thing.

I am very interested. How large is that demo terrain?

Comment

I would be interested
              https://www.casualdistractiongames.com

Comment

One more question, are you looking into anything as far as shader-simulated collisions/wind patterns, stuff like that?

Cheers!

Comment

Does it work well for like backyard grass, how customizable is it?

Comment

is this realistic or cartoony grass? looks stylized

Comment

[MENTION=26882]phantom530[/MENTION], There is no landscape. Just a floor mesh scaled up so much.
                      [MENTION=25181]hippowombat[/MENTION], Wind yes, not collision (at least for now).
                      [MENTION=287455]jojo8026[/MENTION], I need to point out that this does not affect the mesh. You'd have to create the backyard grass mesh yourself but yes you can apply the master material to any kind of grass.
                      [MENTION=14197]Crushed[/MENTION], Well that's up to you to decide. I do think the current grass blades look a bit stylized.

Comment

[MENTION=26882]phantom530[/MENTION], There is no landscape. Just a floor mesh scaled up so much.
                        [MENTION=25181]hippowombat[/MENTION], Wind yes, not collision (at least for now).
                        [MENTION=287455]jojo8026[/MENTION], I need to point out that this does not affect the mesh. You'd have to create the backyard grass mesh yourself but yes you can apply the master material to any kind of grass.
                        [MENTION=14197]Crushed[/MENTION], Well that's up to you to decide. I do think the current grass blades look a bit stylized.
                        I know that, I meant how big is the floor mesh? It looks big, but I want to know how big an area you are using to test.

Comment

Originally posted by phantom530 View Post
                          I know that, I meant how big is the floor mesh? It looks big, but I want to know how big an area you are using to test.
                          120x120 Meters. I had to set the painting density to 400 in order to have so much instances in this area. Normally you wouldn't have 45,000 instances in within 120x120 meters.

Comment

Originally posted by Crushed View Post
                            is this realistic or cartoony grass? looks stylized
                            A problem with creating realistic grass is that more realistic, thinner blades looks bad on many screens. There isn't enough pixels to render them properly so you often get tons of aliasing that can't really be fixed easily. That's why most games, even the otherwise realistic looking ones have cartoonishly thick grass blades.

Comment

Distributed using grass node on landscape I reduced the scale along XY making the blades thinner.

Comment

Working...
                              X