Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ability to allow players to safely make Bitcoin transactions within the game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Force of Will Battle Simulator” is scheduled to be released this coming September. More than 100,000 players will be able to trade their game items securely on the bitcoin blockchain."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/com...heduled_to_be/
    https://medium.com/@IndieSquare/indi...b4f#.3aeytys60

They seem to be solving a lot of problems with crypto by using tokens. Ill have to pay attention to this as info comes out.

edit: Once again I must stress. People NEED to be think about this and taking it dead serious because its a matter of time before it becomes a standard in the game industry.
    - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
    BLOG: https://steemit.com/@thecastle

Comment

It would be a completely new profit model that rewards players with real money seamlessly while hiding micro transactions under the hood by taking a percentage of each player transaction.
      You mean, like the There.com, SecondLife, and IMVU business models all relying on users creating content and the platform taking a cut of each transaction?
      Except buyers get their items right away, rather than having to wait for verification?

People NEED to be think about this and taking it dead serious because its a matter of time before it becomes a standard in the game industry
      What problem does Bitcoin solve for game microtransactions and player/player trade, that credit cards, prepaid cards, Paypal, SMS payments, and all the rest, don't?

Comment

Originally posted by jwatte View Post
        You mean, like the There.com, SecondLife, and IMVU business models all relying on users creating content and the platform taking a cut of each transaction?
        Except buyers get their items right away, rather than having to wait for verification?
        Accept the content would be a set list of items already in the game. But then that is just what I have in mind, there are all kinds of situations

What problem does Bitcoin solve for game microtransactions and player/player trade, that credit cards, prepaid cards, Paypal, SMS payments, and all the rest, don't?
        Its not very easy to go those routes for a profit model based on dynamic interactions such as player transactions. Digital money has a lot of advantages in terms of how you can use it quickly. Some cryptos like Monero are nearly instant transactions of wealth and can happen without any need for infrastructure that dealing with banks would need.

One solid system written and updated on an engine like UE4 to support various coins would be far easier to setup for indie developers. In addition to that most coins are valued very low right now outside of bitcoin and will likely increase in value within the next 5 years on a dramatic scale. SO even if the percentages are low today those profits could sky rocket in the coming years.

Comment

One solid system written and updated on an engine like UE4 to support various coins would be far easier to setup for indie developers.
          There are at least 10 start-ups that already try to apply that same thinking, except "to all websites/apps" rather than just games.
          None of them is locking in the market, because the market is by its nature decentralized.
          And, because it's decentralized, it's fragmented, which means that it's a hassle to use for most normal users -- it's harder for me to log into coinbase (or whatever,) generate some wallet, and then wait for some transaction to post and verify, than it is to just punch in a credit card number.

Its not very easy to go those routes for a profit model based on dynamic interactions such as player transactions.
          Having built such systems at two different businesses, I respectfully disagree. The main challenge is making sure that you avoid fraudulent actors (once there's money, the sharks come swimming!) and making sure your system doesn't suddenly somehow count as "gambling" for some reason. Bitcoin actually makes for less control of those problems than regular payment channels.

without any need for infrastructure that dealing with banks would need.
          The PayPal or Square or Braintree or Paymentwall integrations are super simple to set up and gets you a large set of all payments that customers actually use. I see a lot of hard work and approximately zero upside in supporting this right now.

most coins are valued very low right now outside of bitcoin and will likely increase in value within the next 5 years on a dramatic scale
          If you want to live on wishful thinking, that's fine for you. Having dreams keeps you from being depressed about how hard it is to actually create real value in reality.
          Another way of looking at it is that the "coins" (outside perhaps bitcoin) are me-too experiments that failed in the market.
          Bitcoin has appeal to a variety of people, exactly because it sits outside the regular controls of the banking and governmental systems.
          This is not necessarily a bad thing -- there's value in freedom! But, unfortunately, those who realize the most value in that freedom are those who are the least free in regular society, which generally are evildoers of various kinds (as per definition in society.)
          What happens in real life is that the governments will want their control anyway, because of said evildoers, and then a real business that wants to play in real society has to choose between either accepting and using bitcoin under the regulatory framework that exists, or not use it at all. Given that bitcoin is such a small fraction of the legitimate economy, there's just no real incentive to actually do that, other than as an interesting experiment.

Anyway, good luck on your project, and I wish you the best! And maybe in 5 years, you will show me how wrong I am when you sit on a pile of bitcoins worth thousands of dollars each, and I am stuck in the old, regulated, governed, society.

Comment

Fiat currency has never been used for evil things am I right?

Anyway the focus is on digital currency not the moral dilemma of decentralization and how we victimize our so obviously benevolent government. Excuse me while use a voice changer while donning my handy dandy GuyFawks mask.

Anyway, jokes aside, the advantage is that that transactions of coins is more seamless. Its roughly as seamless as using the auction house in any MMO. This combined with the fact that items in video games do hold real world value anyway, yes even the games you currently play right now, its only natural to begin thinking this way.

This is absolutely something to be watching closely.

PS: In 5 years a bitcoin will likely be worth 10-50k at its current rate.

Comment

our so obviously benevolent government
              The most amazing thing is how much worse the other forms are -- feudalism, monarchy, dictatorship, monotheism, ...
              Democracy is really ******. It's the worst possible form of government, except for all the others we've tried. But that's a different discussion :-)

10-50k
              I don't understand your math.

If we use a two-year look-back, bitcoin has actually lost value against the dollar. If we look back one year, BTC/USD has moved in the last year from 300 to 550 or so. If we assume 80% increase year over year for five more years (which the currency has not sustained historically) we end up just below 10,000, so even with the best possible baseline, we don't get anywhere near $50k.
              (Before then, there wasn't really enough liquidity to establish a reasonably-grounded value -- a two to two and a half year baseline is the best we can do AFAICT.)

Anyway, as I said: good luck! Knock us out!

Comment

The most amazing thing is how much worse the other forms are -- feudalism, monarchy, dictatorship, monotheism, ...
                Democracy is really ******. It's the worst possible form of government, except for all the others we've tried. But that's a different discussion :-)
                Benevolent dictatorship hell yeah.

If the coins reach 10k that's ****ing huge. But either way, the value will increase once people actually start using them. as of right now, nobody is using crypto for anything yet. You cant get your pay checks in it.

I dont know why you keep telling ME to blow your mind in a thread marked as a request where all I am doing is saying why it would be a good idea.

In your world it seems like you are still stuck using candles to light your log cabin in the woods. This is you with an old man voice "En muh deh people dint wan no digital money. Gold is teh only thing dat holds value."

Hey let me sell you this stat tracking Factory new Dragon Lore for 5 grand though! Know what, nah, lets just pretend this kind of stuff hasnt been a thing for the last 15+ years.

Naah nothing to see here folks. No way to capitalize on that!
                Last edited by Castle; 08-15-2016, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I'm not into Bitcoin myself and have only read a little about it but what benefit will it have over let's say Stripe?

Comment

Originally posted by Errvald View Post
                    I'm not into Bitcoin myself and have only read a little about it but what benefit will it have over let's say Stripe?
                    Looking over what stripe is its actually a bit harder to answer that question. Thing thing about digital money is the ease of transactions without the need of a third party to do anything. In a game setting you can have full control over a wallet, track if transactions go through and have it be literally as seamless as buying or selling items on the auction house of an MMO.

When dealing with banks, fiat currency and such you have many more hurdles as well as the need for a third party to do anything.

Comment

Just a friendly word of warning...

I urge you not to make a game where players can earn items and sell them for real money.
                      This usually ends very badly for the game, where most of the player base actually aren't even human anymore.
                      Take the RMAH (real money auction house) in Diablo III as an example of this...
                      Blizzard eventually had to shut it down because they realized that nobody was actually playing the game anymore.
                      It was just a bunch of bots, utilizing advanced algorithms to try and turn a profit.
                      And a lot of these bots can (potentially) eat up bandwidth faster than most human players can, resulting in company money going into either supporting or trying to detect & ban these bots.
                      And all talk of botting aside, there will be an even worse group of human beings who will continuously attempt to scam other genuine players, which could easily become a liability issue for the company.

Of course, that's not to say that you won't turn some sort of profit with this business plan.
                      As a matter of fact, if the game itself is good enough, I'm pretty sure you will.
                      But it really does become more of a headache in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Castle View Post
                        Looking over what stripe is its actually a bit harder to answer that question. Thing thing about digital money is the ease of transactions without the need of a third party to do anything. In a game setting you can have full control over a wallet, track if transactions go through and have it be literally as seamless as buying or selling items on the auction house of an MMO. When dealing with banks, fiat currency and such you have many more hurdles as well as the need for a third party to do anything.
                        The FIAT system is the mother of all Ponzi schemes, here's looking at you almighty US Dollar
                        But like the 'mock' in Democracy until something better comes along what else is there...???
                        Swift is hackable at the bank level right now, but it still has more protections for consumers....
                        Whereas how many BC-VC exchanges have been wiped out and destroyed in the last 2-3 years?
                        The ledger system itself is fine, but the BC-VC wallet / exchange mechanism is a real liability.

Originally posted by EO Games View Post
                        Just a friendly word of warning...
                        CS-GO is another example of games gone bad:

Comment

Working...
                        X