StarSphere - Parameterized skybox material for space environments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roi Danton View Post
    I'm especially interested in the planet feature - is it made with mobile in mind (like the StarSphere _mobile materials)?
    Hi Roi, thanks for your interest. Unfortunately, planet shader is not suited for mobile applications. It uses several high resolution textures so this will be a major limiting factor.
    StarSphere :: Strategy Camera

Comment

Thanks for the fast answer - if I would replace the textures with lower resolution ones (I don't need that high fidelity you are providing out of the box), would you think the complexity of your planet material(s) would be ok for mobile (a subjective feeling would be enough for me as answer, I'd have to do performance tests nevertheless ;-) )?

Comment

Originally posted by Roi Danton View Post
        Thanks for the fast answer - if I would replace the textures with lower resolution ones (I don't need that high fidelity you are providing out of the box), would you think the complexity of your planet material(s) would be ok for mobile (a subjective feeling would be enough for me as answer, I'd have to do performance tests nevertheless ;-) )?
        Well, it all really depends on what kind of limitations you will set in your game. It's all about smoke and mirrors, right? If you won't need any close-up approaches to the planet and it will always be far away, then you can get away with fewer and lower resolution textures. But obviously, you will have to significantly change the planet material setup. Rayleigh effect is faked, pretty light and I believe is ok to run on mobile. Surface, clouds and lights are simple textures with simple compositing so you just need to fit in your texture budget. Still, 3 texture lookups might be too expensive for mobile, so you will have to drop night-light effect for example, or bake clouds layer into surface texture.
        StarSphere :: Strategy Camera

Comment

Working...
        X