No announcement yet.

Particle Editor Extension (Code Plugin)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GAUGING INTEREST] Particle Editor Extension (Code Plugin)

UPDATE: Current documentation: https://cultrarius.github.io/UE4ParticleEditorPlugin/

---

Hey,

I have created a code plugin to extend the particle editor (Cascade) with completely new modules. I would like to know if any of you are interested in such a plugin?
    Furthermore, if you have any ideas/wishes for new modules you can post them as well

Demo video:

Here is what the plugin includes to far:
    • Custom Logic: implement your own particle effect logic for position, velocity or color in C++ or blueprints!
    • Mesh Location: spawn particles on the surface or vertices of a static meshes (without having to use sockets). New! Also supports dynamic meshes (if you can provide triangle data at runtime).
    • Spiral Location: spawn particles on a spiral path to create galaxies (see screenshot)
    • Heightmap Location: Use a custom texture to determine the particle height
    • Texture Pixel Color: (CPU only) Use a custom texture to determine the particle color
    • Donut Location: A new shape (like the sphere or cylinder) to spawn particles in
    • Jiggle Location: (CPU only) Makes particles jump around a bit each tick, very useful to make e.g. insect swarms ort magic effects
    • Swarm Movement: (CPU only) let the particles behave like a swarm by using a flocking algorithm
    • Turbulence: (CPU only) a quick way to add turbulence similar to a vector field to (using 3d curl noise).
    • Translucency Sort Order
    • Particle Decals

Example Screenshot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ExampleScreenshot.png
Views:	1
Size:	394.0 KB
ID:	1186784

More feature videos:

Yes
    77.78%
    No
    22.22%
    Last edited by Cultrarius; 02-21-2017, 03:45 PM. Reason: added videos
    Particle Editor Extension: Marketplace Page | Documentation
    Code plugin which extends your particle effect toolbox with new possibilities.

SVG Importer Plugin: Marketplace Page | Gumroad Page
    Import SVG (scalable vector graphics) files as rasterized rendering or as multi-channel signed distance field.

Nice stuff. Is it for both CPU and GPU particles ?

Probably makes sense to offer more presets, like "flies", "snow", "rain", "dust devil", "sphere", "cube", etc.

Comment

I am very interesting in your projects!
      I am not a technical guy so I may be wrong but ...
      I am looking for a solution or plugin as below.
      - Import FGA(fluid grid ascii) file or OpenVDB format file to UE4
      - Simulate it using UE4 particle system

Is it possible?

Thanks

Comment

This is all good stuff!
        YES. Interest high.

Comment

Very cool! Yes, any kind of extensions to cascade functionality are interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
            Nice stuff. Is it for both CPU and GPU particles ?

Probably makes sense to offer more presets, like "flies", "snow", "rain", "dust devil", "sphere", "cube", etc.
            Thanks
            Yes, it is for both GPU and CPU, but it is of course bound to the limitations of the GPU particles.
            For example, the galaxy in the screenshot is created with GPU partciles as you can see.
            However, the "Texture Pixel Color" module can not work with GPU particles because all GPU particles from a single emmiter share the same color.
            Furthermore, GPU particles can not be updated from the CPU after creation, so for example the jiggle module does not work for them.

It is a good idea to offer presets in the form of examples with the plugin to show how to use the new modules, thanks!

Originally posted by dkjeong0815 View Post
            I am very interesting in your projects!
            I am not a technical guy so I may be wrong but ...
            I am looking for a solution or plugin as below.
            - Import FGA(fluid grid ascii) file or OpenVDB format file to UE4
            - Simulate it using UE4 particle system

Is it possible?

Thanks
            I don't know what FGA is, but why can't you just convert it to the vector field format that UE4 already supports?
            I think it would be possible to create a custom "vector field" module that takes a txt file or a texture file as input (where the rgb values indicate the field for the x, y and z directions), but I doubt that it would work for GPU particles (which really is the main application for vector fields).

Import SVG (scalable vector graphics) files as rasterized rendering or as multi-channel signed distance field.

Comment

Originally posted by Cultrarius View Post
              It is a good idea to offer presets in the form of examples with the plugin to show how to use the new modules, thanks!
              By "presets" I didn't mean examples. I meant menu options that generate specific particle effects in one click and then user can adjust parameters as (s)he pleases.

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
                By "presets" I didn't mean examples. I meant menu options that generate specific particle effects in one click and then user can adjust parameters as (s)he pleases.
                Ah, I understand. I think the particle editor modules are a bit too generic to make e.g. a "snow" module. They are more like building blocks to create a great variety of different effects.
                Cramming too much complexity into a single module would probably inhibit the artist/user more than it would help (because then you cannot combine different modules as well).

At best, each module only affects a single particle property, like position, velocity or color.

Comment

New demo video:

Comment

Do you have it on gumroad or something?

If this: Mesh Location: spawn particles on the surface or vertices of a static meshes (without having to use sockets)
                    means it can spawn particles on the surface of a mesh, eg. one every <x> units of a triangle, i'll buy it right now.

Comment

For what it is woth I would be interested in the plugin for sure

Comment

Originally posted by aureon View Post
                        Do you have it on gumroad or something?

If this: Mesh Location: spawn particles on the surface or vertices of a static meshes (without having to use sockets)
                        means it can spawn particles on the surface of a mesh, eg. one every <x> units of a triangle, i'll buy it right now.
                        No, it is not yet available, but I am working on it

The mesh module spawns the particles randomly distributed across the surface of a mesh (the chance for each triangle is proportional to its area). Optionally, it can add a velocity in the direction of the normal vector of the triangle the particle spawns on. Not sure if that answers your question

Comment

That sounds great.
                          The issue with the default Mesh emitter is that it spawns particles only from vertices, requiring pseudo-tessellated meshes.
                          If you have that part working, i'd happily pre-buy \ help QA it for early access!

Comment

Originally posted by aureon View Post
                            That sounds great.
                            The issue with the default Mesh emitter is that it spawns particles only from vertices, requiring pseudo-tessellated meshes.
                            If you have that part working, i'd happily pre-buy \ help QA it for early access!
                            Thanks!

Until the product is available on the Unreal marketplace, I created an early access version (30% off) on gumroad: https://gum.co/PpRSr/EarlyAccess

Comment

Update: I updated the mesh location module so it supports dynamic meshes where the triangle data is created at runtime (e.g. from the procedural mesh component).

I also created a "custom logic" module which let's you define your own spawn logic in C++ or blueprints. This way you can quickly iterate over custom algorithms without having to write new editor modules yourself!
                              Or maybe you just want to dynamically control your particle data from a blueprint instance - the possibilities are endless

Example screenshot:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	CustomLogicScreenshot.png
Views:	1
Size:	757.2 KB
ID:	1111930

Comment

Working...
                              X