No announcement yet.

Runtime Mesh Component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone managed to build for 4.19 preview?

Edit; running on 4.17 now due to the visual studio loading bug in 4.18.
    Last edited by housekiller; 02-07-2018, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Hello everyone! So I said I'd have more of an update for you soon, and today would be that day!

As of a few minutes ago Version 3 was pushed to a separate branch in the GitHub repo. It is expected that there's going to be bugs in this, so I wouldn't recommend jumping to it for a critical project. It is a 100% rewrite of the core component, and brings a few major changes to how it fundamentally works. I'll be updating the examples project/wiki as I have some time.

There are several breaking changes in this version, and several deprecated functions. the Readme on the GH repo has more information on what has changed.

For right now the RMC will only have collision cooked correctly in packaged games if it is set to async mode due to an apparent engine bug.

I will be closing all outstanding issues/prs on the GH repo. I thank all of you that have reported issues or submitted things, but as this is a total rewrite nearly none of it will directly apply to this version. If you find problems, or have suggestions, as always feel free to post them to the GH issue tracker.

You can check out V3 beta here: https://github.com/Koderz/RuntimeMes...ee/Version3Dev
      Runtime Mesh Component - The best way to render procedural/runtime created meshes! - Version 4.1 out now!

Come talk about anything RMC or Procedural Mesh Related in our Discord!

Comment

Did some include fixes in V3

You probably have unity build on which hides these errors.

https://github.com/GeorgeR/RuntimeMe...ee/Version3Dev
        George Rolfe.
        Technical Coordinator at Orbit Solutions Pty Ltd.

Comment

Awesome! Can't wait to try it out.
          For a project I'm currently still on v2, when I do runtimeMesh->CreateMeshSection I can compile perfectly but intellisense complains that "pointer to incomplete class is not allowed" so I can't use intellisense. Is there anything I can include to make it work correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by housekiller View Post
            Awesome! Can't wait to try it out.
            For a project I'm currently still on v2, when I do runtimeMesh->CreateMeshSection I can compile perfectly but intellisense complains that "pointer to incomplete class is not allowed" so I can't use intellisense. Is there anything I can include to make it work correctly?
            Yeah you're missing an include. I don't know what one exactly, I use Visual Assist so it tells me
            George Rolfe.

Comment

Originally posted by duke22 View Post

Yeah you're missing an include. I don't know what one exactly, I use Visual Assist so it tells me
              I'm using visual assist but it doesn't tell me more than to add RuntimeMeshComponent.h which is already added. But intellisense has been a PITA in this project so I'm just ignoring it.

Another more annoying issue I'm having with v2; I'm using:
              runtimeMesh->CreateMeshSection(meshSectionInt, vertices, triangles, normals, texMap, vertexColors, tangents, false, EUpdateFrequency::Frequent);

I run that in a loop that adds +1 to meshSectionInt every loop.

The problem is that I end up with only 1 object, where i expect about 150 of them. Only the last object is in the runtime mesh. Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Edit:
              I seem to have misunderstood the inner workings, I though I could add pieces to a runtime mesh by calling createmeshsection multiple times for the same runtimemeshcomponent.

I have an actor that wants to create multiple meshes for itsself with different materials, how is it best to create multiple URuntimeMeshComponent instances? Any example with a piece of code? Or do I need to create an actor per mesh?

Edit2:
              I seem to have overcome the issue with adding components to the actor;
              URuntimeMeshComponent* newComp = NewObject<URuntimeMeshComponent>(this, objectName);

Edit3:
              I have not solved it nor have i managed to figure out what the int index (first parameter of createmeshsection) does, when adding creating a meshsection with index 150 for example, i get a component with 149 empty elements and an element on the 150th component with no apparant way to fill the other 149 components.

When making an extra component during runtime I can't even get a mesh in it to show up for some reason, I can only get it to work if the component already exists when the actor is created. Any clues?
              Last edited by housekiller; 02-16-2018, 03:01 PM.

Comment

housekiller if I remember right, mesh sections are indexed. read the wiki, its explained there. if you want to manipulate or create one of the sections, you always have to specify the index you want to work at

Comment

I was able to solve my issues, I'll post here what I did wrong so others may be helped.

Another more annoying issue I'm having with v2; I'm using:
                  runtimeMesh->CreateMeshSection(meshSectionInt, vertices, triangles, normals, texMap, vertexColors, tangents, false, EUpdateFrequency::Frequent);

I run that in a loop that adds +1 to meshSectionInt every loop.

The problem is that I end up with only 1 object, where i expect about 150 of them. Only the last object is in the runtime mesh. Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?
                  I kept overwriting my variables which created the object, thus I created the last object many times over.

Edit:
                  I seem to have misunderstood the inner workings, I though I could add pieces to a runtime mesh by calling createmeshsection multiple times for the same runtimemeshcomponent.

I have an actor that wants to create multiple meshes for itsself with different materials, how is it best to create multiple URuntimeMeshComponent instances? Any example with a piece of code? Or do I need to create an actor per mesh?
                  Working with sections works like a charm, my problem was that I kept creating new objects and did a CreateMeshSection for each of them.

When making an extra component during runtime I can't even get a mesh in it to show up for some reason, I can only get it to work if the component already exists when the actor is created. Any clues?
                  Solved by using RegisterComponent() after creating a new object in the actor. This is how I create the empty objects;

URuntimeMeshComponent* newComp = NewObject<URuntimeMeshComponent>(this, objectName);
                  newComp->RegisterComponent();

Comment

Thanks Koderz! Still on the previous version as i can't afford anything to break right now - looking forward to give 3.0 a testrun though.

On a different note: i couldn't find any info on this but i am wondering if the runtime mesh component supports getting UVs from Hit results? I couldn't get it to work right away.

Comment

Is it possible for RMC to generate a distance field for itself?
                      George Rolfe.

Comment

Did some include fixes in V3

You probably have unity build on which hides these errors.

https://github.com/GeorgeR/RuntimeMe...ee/Version3Dev
                        Hey, will take a look at that. Always forget about UBT hiding some stuff like that.

Originally posted by a_prototype View Post
                        Thanks Koderz! Still on the previous version as i can't afford anything to break right now - looking forward to give 3.0 a testrun though.

On a different note: i couldn't find any info on this but i am wondering if the runtime mesh component supports getting UVs from Hit results? I couldn't get it to work right away.
                        Both current versions should I think but I haven’t tested it in a while.

Is it possible for RMC to generate a distance field for itself?
                        Currently, no it’s not. This is something I want to add but it’s not trivial and right now also isn’t possible. I tried a few months back to get Epic to accept a couple very minor engine changes that would allow it but unfortunately they rejected them. Here’s the PR if you’d like to see more info on that.
                        https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/4125

Runtime Mesh Component - The best way to render procedural/runtime created meshes! - Version 4.1 out now!

Comment

Originally posted by Koderz View Post

Hey Koderz,

i had a quick look into the RuntimeMeshComponent.cpp and found this section
                          Code:
                          #if ENGINE_MAJOR_VERSION == 4 && ENGINE_MINOR_VERSION >= 13

// See if we should copy UVs

bool bCopyUVs = UPhysicsSettings::Get()->bSupportUVFromHitResults;
                          if (bCopyUVs)
                          {
                          CollisionData->UVs.AddZeroed(1); // only one UV channel
                          }
                          #endif
                          so my guess is that it the collision should have the neccessary UV information for a UV trace. I'm on 4.18 on MacOS, support uv from hit in project settings is enabled and working on simple static meshes.

Whatever i do though, i can't get it to show anything else than 0,0. I tried using non overlapping UVs in 0-1 space, swapping through all sorts of collision settings on the "Add RMC" blueprint node. Do you have any idea what i could be doing wrong? Do you know if Normals/Tangents have to be setup up correctly for the UV Trace to work?

What i am doing is creating multiple RMCs with a single mesh section each within a simple blueprint Actor.

EDIT: Quick follow-up:
                          I made a very simple setup of just a box in an empty BP Actor and Create Box Mesh

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-20 um 12.57.04.png
Views:	168
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1431619

The Procedural Mesh component works flawlessly whereas the Runtime Mesh component doesn't return the UVs on LineTrace. Any clue what could be causing this?

EDIT 2: The Simple Box Setup from the first edit was created inside the Construction Script.
                          Doing the Geometry Creation on BeginPlay in the EvenGraph stops both, RMC and PMC from returning UVs.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by a_prototype; 02-20-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Hey, will take a look at that. Always forget about UBT hiding some stuff like that.

Currently, no it’s not. This is something I want to add but it’s not trivial and right now also isn’t possible. I tried a few months back to get Epic to accept a couple very minor engine changes that would allow it but unfortunately they rejected them. Here’s the PR if you’d like to see more info on that.
                            https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/4125

I can't say I completely understand their reasoning. The people that would use it understand the implementation might change. Anyhow, i'm probably going to split out that mesh slicing you did as a separate plugin that depends on runtimemeshcomponent as I'm going to need that pretty soon
                            George Rolfe.

Comment

I can't say I completely understand their reasoning. The people that would use it understand the implementation might change. Anyhow, i'm probably going to split out that mesh slicing you did as a separate plugin that depends on runtimemeshcomponent as I'm going to need that pretty soon

I really don't get their reasoning to be honest. It's not like things that are exposed on the engine API this release can't be broken next even in the uppermost layers of what people interact with. Each engine version I have to change a few things in the RMC, in 4.18 for example they changed a return reference to a pointer. I expect this type stuff, especially in the lower levels of the rendering subsystems. I had plans of upgrading the slicer to directly slice a distance field which means you still have all the distance field support for meshes you go hacking apart with the slicer. After that I was planning the utilities needed to do full runtime generation of distance fields. All of that got put on hold until either they decide to accept it (or open it up in a way they'd prefer) or I get some other things done that more people can use and then come back to it since that will take a source compile of the engine with that PR to allow it.

What did you mean by splitting out the mesh slicing? btw RMCv2s slicer is pretty broken. I'm working on its replacement and it should be up in the next day or two hopefully.

Comment

What did you mean by splitting out the mesh slicing? btw RMCv2s slicer is pretty broken. I'm working on its replacement and it should be up in the next day or two hopefully.
                                Oh ok i'd never used it before so I didn't know it was broken, i'll leave you to the replacement then!
                                George Rolfe.

Comment

Working...
                                X