Runtime Mesh Component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is some great news for the plugin.

In the meantime, is it hard to push a 4.15 update to the marketplace? Even if nothing changes other than putting the compatible version number up. I would love to upgrade my project to 4.15 but RMC is holding me back

Comment

Originally posted by wilberolive View Post
      That is some great news for the plugin.

In the meantime, is it hard to push a 4.15 update to the marketplace? Even if nothing changes other than putting the compatible version number up. I would love to upgrade my project to 4.15 but RMC is holding me back

No, actually I thought I submitted it but apparently I never actually sent it! It's now sent so hopefully it will get updated once Epic has time to get it through their update process.
      Runtime Mesh Component - The best way to render procedural/runtime created meshes! - Version 4.1 out now!

Come talk about anything RMC or Procedural Mesh Related in our Discord!

Comment

Hi, is there a way to import FBX objects to UE4 (and store it as a .uasset) in a runtime with this tool?
        Artheon VR Museum: http://artheon.co
        Impossibility Labs Inc.: http://impossibilitylabs.com

Comment

Have anyone faced bug then RuntimeMeshComponent disappeared after editor reopening? It happens only with one actor. Others save their components.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-03-01_23-14-04.png
Views:	1
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1124175
          Available for contract hiring! Complex mechanics, quick game prototyping, VR, AI, Animation, Tools for designers.

Check out my latest game! Last Joy - 2D RPG with unique combat system.

Comment

Originally posted by gnuchev View Post
            Hi, is there a way to import FBX objects to UE4 (and store it as a .uasset) in a runtime with this tool?
            Not really... The uasset creation tooling doesn't compile into a shipping build. You could in theory load an FBX model at runtime but you'll have to do it manually or use something like Assimp.

Originally posted by Two-faced View Post
            Have anyone faced bug then RuntimeMeshComponent disappeared after editor reopening? It happens only with one actor. Others save their components.

I can't say I've seen that. What version of the engine is this?
            Runtime Mesh Component - The best way to render procedural/runtime created meshes! - Version 4.1 out now!

Comment

Hi,

I'm using the plugin through it's sources. The integration into my project works fine for about 3 months. Basically I'm using it to import user data at runtime from files (FBX, SKP, ...). I have to mention that I'm using only the C++ API.

Since yesterday, I switched from the 4.14.3 version of the engine to the 4.15 version. Since then, when I load user data, no geometry appears on the screen. I checked on my code, everything seems fine.

The fun fact is that I made a BP creating a RMC and fill it with a simple quad (two triangles). That worked, when I hit play, the quad appears on the screen.

I stepped into the code, it seems that both my code and the BP I created enters the same methods ...

Any idea on what changed in 4.15 that may cause this issue ?

Comment

Originally posted by Koderz View Post
                I can't say I've seen that. What version of the engine is this?
                Tested on 4.12. I'm not sure about 4.13+. It bugged If you reference to actor containing ProceduralMeshComponent or RMC (plugin ver. 2) from FPC actor (for example to get variables from target). https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...eshcompon.html

Originally posted by kara-mveit View Post
                Hi,

I'm using the plugin through it's sources. The integration into my project works fine for about 3 months. Basically I'm using it to import user data at runtime from files (FBX, SKP, ...). I have to mention that I'm using only the C++ API.
                Don't you use fbxsdk?
                Last edited by Two-faced; 03-05-2017, 12:37 PM.
                Available for contract hiring! Complex mechanics, quick game prototyping, VR, AI, Animation, Tools for designers.

Check out my latest game! Last Joy - 2D RPG with unique combat system.

Comment

Originally posted by Koderz View Post
                  No, actually I thought I submitted it but apparently I never actually sent it! It's now sent so hopefully it will get updated once Epic has time to get it through their update process.
                  Thanks. Though Epic's update process must be painfully slow. Such a tease having a shiny new engine version that I can't update to.

Comment

Originally posted by wilberolive View Post
                    Thanks. Though Epic's update process must be painfully slow. Such a tease having a shiny new engine version that I can't update to.
                    Usually they're pretty quick for updates, but I haven't heard anything back... Wondering if the email failed to go through because now that I look back I don't even have the automated response I usually get from the ticket system it goes too. Just resent it, we'll see how it goes!

Comment

Hi, I really like the plugin, congratulations Koderz for your work. I'm completely new to UE4. I am also implementing Dual Contouring algorithm and at the begining was using Procedural Mesh Component. After a while I found your Runtime Mesh Component, I wanted to try it out. The issue I am having is: I would like to have a colored vertices, instead of materials. Could you help me with this?

I tried changing your examples a bit to fill the ColorBuffer with apropriate colors:
                      RuntimeMeshLibrary.cpp:
                      Code:
                      void URuntimeMeshLibrary::CreateBoxMesh1(FVector BoxRadius, TArray<FVector>& Vertices, TArray<int32>& Triangles, TArray<FVector>& Normals, TArray<FVector2D>& UVs, TArray<FRuntimeMeshTangent>& Tangents, TArray<FColor>& Colors)
                      {
                      	// Generate verts
                      	FVector BoxVerts[8];
                      	BoxVerts[0] = FVector(-BoxRadius.X, BoxRadius.Y, BoxRadius.Z);
                      	BoxVerts[1] = FVector(BoxRadius.X, BoxRadius.Y, BoxRadius.Z);
                      	BoxVerts[2] = FVector(BoxRadius.X, -BoxRadius.Y, BoxRadius.Z);
                      	BoxVerts[3] = FVector(-BoxRadius.X, -BoxRadius.Y, BoxRadius.Z);

BoxVerts[4] = FVector(-BoxRadius.X, BoxRadius.Y, -BoxRadius.Z);
                      	BoxVerts[5] = FVector(BoxRadius.X, BoxRadius.Y, -BoxRadius.Z);
                      	BoxVerts[6] = FVector(BoxRadius.X, -BoxRadius.Y, -BoxRadius.Z);
                      	BoxVerts[7] = FVector(-BoxRadius.X, -BoxRadius.Y, -BoxRadius.Z);

// Generate triangles (from quads)
                      	Triangles.Reset();

const int32 NumVerts = 24; // 6 faces x 4 verts per face

Colors.Reset(); 
                      	Colors.AddUninitialized(NumVerts);

for (int i = 0; i < NumVerts; i++)
                      		Colors.Add(FColor(255, 0, 0, 255)); 

Vertices.Reset();
                      	Vertices.AddUninitialized(NumVerts);

Normals.Reset();
                      	Normals.AddUninitialized(NumVerts);

Tangents.Reset();
                      	Tangents.AddUninitialized(NumVerts);

Vertices[0] = BoxVerts[0];
                      	Vertices[1] = BoxVerts[1];
                      	Vertices[2] = BoxVerts[2];
                      	Vertices[3] = BoxVerts[3];
                      	ConvertQuadToTriangles(Triangles, 0, 1, 2, 3);
                      	Normals[0] = Normals[1] = Normals[2] = Normals[3] = FVector(0, 0, 1);
                      	Tangents[0] = Tangents[1] = Tangents[2] = Tangents[3] = FRuntimeMeshTangent(0.f, -1.f, 0.f);

Vertices[4] = BoxVerts[4];
                      	Vertices[5] = BoxVerts[0];
                      	Vertices[6] = BoxVerts[3];
                      	Vertices[7] = BoxVerts[7];
                      	ConvertQuadToTriangles(Triangles, 4, 5, 6, 7);
                      	Normals[4] = Normals[5] = Normals[6] = Normals[7] = FVector(-1, 0, 0);
                      	Tangents[4] = Tangents[5] = Tangents[6] = Tangents[7] = FRuntimeMeshTangent(0.f, -1.f, 0.f);

Vertices[8] = BoxVerts[5];
                      	Vertices[9] = BoxVerts[1];
                      	Vertices[10] = BoxVerts[0];
                      	Vertices[11] = BoxVerts[4];
                      	ConvertQuadToTriangles(Triangles, 8, 9, 10, 11);
                      	Normals[8] = Normals[9] = Normals[10] = Normals[11] = FVector(0, 1, 0);
                      	Tangents[8] = Tangents[9] = Tangents[10] = Tangents[11] = FRuntimeMeshTangent(-1.f, 0.f, 0.f);

Vertices[12] = BoxVerts[6];
                      	Vertices[13] = BoxVerts[2];
                      	Vertices[14] = BoxVerts[1];
                      	Vertices[15] = BoxVerts[5];
                      	ConvertQuadToTriangles(Triangles, 12, 13, 14, 15);
                      	Normals[12] = Normals[13] = Normals[14] = Normals[15] = FVector(1, 0, 0);
                      	Tangents[12] = Tangents[13] = Tangents[14] = Tangents[15] = FRuntimeMeshTangent(0.f, 1.f, 0.f);

Vertices[16] = BoxVerts[7];
                      	Vertices[17] = BoxVerts[3];
                      	Vertices[18] = BoxVerts[2];
                      	Vertices[19] = BoxVerts[6];
                      	ConvertQuadToTriangles(Triangles, 16, 17, 18, 19);
                      	Normals[16] = Normals[17] = Normals[18] = Normals[19] = FVector(0, -1, 0);
                      	Tangents[16] = Tangents[17] = Tangents[18] = Tangents[19] = FRuntimeMeshTangent(1.f, 0.f, 0.f);

Vertices[20] = BoxVerts[7];
                      	Vertices[21] = BoxVerts[6];
                      	Vertices[22] = BoxVerts[5];
                      	Vertices[23] = BoxVerts[4];
                      	ConvertQuadToTriangles(Triangles, 20, 21, 22, 23);
                      	Normals[20] = Normals[21] = Normals[22] = Normals[23] = FVector(0, 0, -1);
                      	Tangents[20] = Tangents[21] = Tangents[22] = Tangents[23] = FRuntimeMeshTangent(0.f, 1.f, 0.f);

// UVs
                      	UVs.Reset();
                      	UVs.AddUninitialized(NumVerts);

UVs[0] = UVs[4] = UVs[8] = UVs[12] = UVs[16] = UVs[20] = FVector2D(0.f, 0.f);
                      	UVs[1] = UVs[5] = UVs[9] = UVs[13] = UVs[17] = UVs[21] = FVector2D(0.f, 1.f);
                      	UVs[2] = UVs[6] = UVs[10] = UVs[14] = UVs[18] = UVs[22] = FVector2D(1.f, 1.f);
                      	UVs[3] = UVs[7] = UVs[11] = UVs[15] = UVs[19] = UVs[23] = FVector2D(1.f, 0.f);
                      }
                      RuntimeMeshLibrary.h:
                      Code:
                      UFUNCTION(BlueprintCallable, Category = "Components|RuntimeMesh")
                      	static void CreateBoxMesh1(FVector BoxRadius, TArray<FVector>& Vertices, TArray<int32>& Triangles, TArray<FVector>& Normals, TArray<FVector2D>& UVs, TArray<FRuntimeMeshTangent>& Tangents, TArray<FColor>& Colors);
                      BasicRMCActor.cpp:

Code:
                      void ABasicRMCActor::OnConstruction(const FTransform& Transform)
                      {
                      	TArray<FVector> Vertices;
                      	TArray<FVector> Normals;
                      	TArray<FRuntimeMeshTangent> Tangents;
                      	TArray<FVector2D> TextureCoordinates;
                      	TArray<int32> Triangles;
                      	TArray<FColor> Colors;

URuntimeMeshLibrary::CreateBoxMesh1(FVector(500, 500, 500), Vertices, Triangles, Normals, TextureCoordinates, Tangents, Colors);

// Create the mesh section specifying collision
                      	RuntimeMesh->CreateMeshSection(0, Vertices, Triangles, Normals, TextureCoordinates, Colors, Tangents, true, EUpdateFrequency::Infrequent);
                      }

But the effect is as shown in the image below:
                      Attached Files

Comment

[MENTION=391838]PJ87[/MENTION]: Are you using the vertex colors in your material? You need to apply a material to the mesh that uses the vertex color.

Comment

Actually probably not, I am googling on how to do it, but I couldn't find the exact way to do it.

//EDIT: I am posting the blueprint of the material I am using. This material doesn't show the vertex colors.

Name:	blueprint.png
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1124759

//EDIT2: I also tried changing it, so it would look like in the picture below, but still no luck.

Name:	blueprint1.png
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1124760
                          Last edited by PJ87; 03-15-2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

I finally managed to solve the problem. I will post it if somebody encounters a similar problem.

Code:
                            for (int i = 0; i < NumVerts / 3; i++)
                            	{
                            		Colors[i * 3] = FColor(255, 0, 0); 
                            		Colors[i * 3 + 1] = FColor(0, 255, 0);
                            		Colors[i * 3 + 2] = FColor(0, 0, 255);
                            	}

Name:	blueprint2.png
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1124761

Name:	ue4.png
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	1124762

Comment

Hey, just found your plugin and it appears to be awesome, I am on 4.15 however and 2.0 from github doesn't compile. Any chance to get an updated version? Otherwise I will go and try to fix the compiler errors.

Edit: Pulled master branch and it works.
                              Last edited by DennyR; 03-19-2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

First off, sorry for the double post, but I got it working and I love that I was just able to pop it in for the ProceduralMeshComponent.
                                I have a few questions though.

I am working on a pretty large and complex procedural hex grid terrain.

Name:	c3bea9c659053e15e7660b1698387633.jpg
Size:	492.1 KB
ID:	1124929

It gets pretty complex on the highest LOD level.

Name:	5a2dcdf93b28821c4f8caebdc01df84f.png
Size:	847.0 KB
ID:	1124931

At the moment I have everyting separated into 8x8 chunks to make use of automated frustum culling
                                (chunks are actually of variable size, so I can tweak frustum culling vs draw calls)

Name:	f64f2f6717f9d19463396904d9ba0de2.jpg
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	1124932

It actually blows the ProceduralMeshComponent out of the water in terms of performance. But, the more chunks I add the more it slows down though. Which would be expected but frustum culling should also make sure that the meshes out of the view can just be ignored for the most part.
                                So my main question is: how to get the most out of this for large terrains with high poly count (other than a dynamic LOD system - which I am working on atm). Mesh extraction/polygonizing is quite costly and I'd like to implement a multithreaded solution for it, but not sure how the UpdateFrequency thing works.
                                Could you give me some hints?
                                Last edited by DennyR; 03-19-2017, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X