X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SUBMITTED] Volumetric Light System Release/Support Thread

IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ

Originally posted by hippowombat View Post
    Hey there, thanks for your interest! This system is working in 4.15, but the live build does not currently have sch5's improvements. I'll likely be adding them in a future update, though I don't have a timeline at the moment as I've been caught up with other projects.

However, this system was originally developed to work around the absence of volumetric lighting being built into UE4, and recently some other solutions created by developers who are much more talented than myself have come about, and as such I wouldn't feel right trying to sell you on my product without giving you details on other free options that are available.

If you're willing to do a bit of engine compilation, nVidia released a custom build of UE4 4.15 with Gameworks Volumetric Lighting built in, here is a link to the github repository:

https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEng...cLighting-4.15

Alternatively, it looks like Epic is working on implementing volumetric lighting into UE4 by default, as detailed in these posts:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post684068

So you could hang tight until these changes go live in 4.16-4.18 (my guess as to when volumetrics will hit a master branch) or compile nVidia's build of 4.15. Or, if you're still wanting to try out my system, it works in 4.15 right now, with very little set up time.

I just wanted to be sure to inform you of all the options available before you spend your money. I've been debating taking my asset down from the store considering these new solutions are becoming available, so far the only thing that my asset does better than the other solutions is that it has a shorter setup time, but I'd highly encourage you to check out the other solutions, as they look and perform much better than mine.

Cheers!

-Christian
    Hey guys, a follow up to this post, I'm going to be removing this asset from the marketplace, as some newer, better, free-er options are available, and I feel bad that people are still buying it when they may not know that they could be setting themselves up with something that performs and looks nicer without having to pay for it. I'll link this post to the front page as well. I'm waiting to hear from Epic on a timeframe of when this asset will be removed from the marketplace, and if you've already bought the asset and would like to continue using it, I can offer my assistance via support emails at contactsmallheartstudios@gmail.com or via my Skype (link to the left.)

Thanks for your support, I appreciate every single one of you who bought this asset and supported me as a developer.

Available now on the marketplace for $5!

Short Description

A flexible, efficient, blueprint-driven volumetric lighting solution for 4.12 and up.

Long Description

A workaround for achieving volumetric lighting in Unreal Engine 4.12 and up using a single drop-in blueprint that handles simulating volumetric lighting in your worldspace. Any light source that affects translucent lighting will simulate volumetric lighting. Using only in-editor tools and assets made in Blender, this system performs comparatively to industry-standard volumetric lighting solutions, utilizing optimizations like frustum culling, scalable sample quality, and three pre-set render distances, as well as artistic tools like automatic or manual color selection and density control, without the need for any C++ or custom HLSL code. Instantly ramp up the atmosphere in your project on the Windows platform, simply by dragging the blueprint actor into your level and assigning your directional light-source.

Technical Details

Number of Materials: 10
    Do Materials derive from a Master Material with instances as variation: Yes
    Number of textures: 8
    Texture Resolution: 251x253, 1920x1080
    Engine Compatibility: 4.12 and Up
    Intended Platform: Windows
    Platforms Tested: Windows
    Documentation Included: No
    Important\Additional Notes: At an average 2ms frame-time cost, this system performs on-par with other industry-standard volumetric lighting solutions. (Crytek – 2-3ms, Ubisoft – 1.1ms, NVIDIA – 1.2ms)

Current average performance cost at max render quality/render distance: 2ms
    Average performance cost of Cryengine's volumetric fog shadows: 2-3ms
    Average performance cost of Ubisoft's Volumetric Lighting: 1.1ms
    Average performance cost of Nvidia's Volumetric Lighting: 1.2ms
    Features
    • Quality selector
    • Distance selector
    • Active/Inactive Modes
    • Debug Mode
    • Density Slider
    • Color Picker
    • (Optional) Tie color to sun color

Screenshots:

Screens are at high quality, medium render distance settings.

Price
    Price is $4.99 USD

Release Date
    June 22, 2016

Disclaimer
    Although UE4 is slotted to have volumetric lighting/fog iterated upon starting in July, this is a fully feature-complete system that is organized and ready to go right now. If you want to save your money, wait for the real thing from Epic. Otherwise, thank you very much for your support, you're helping me realize my dream of becoming (on some level or another) a paid developer.
    Last edited by hippowombat; 04-13-2017, 07:18 PM. Reason: Added GIF example of system in motion.

Here it is in motion:

Comment

Working on rebuilding the example area for the 4.12 update, using the point-light to show off the flexible system handling omnidirectional volumetric shadow casting. Just waiting for the release schedule to get hammered out at Epic and I'll have a release date for you all!

Comment

Yes, I'm interested in this!

Does this allow things like floating dust/sparkles?

Comment

Yes, swirling dust/fog patterns are something that I'm rolling into another system that'll be using a more advanced version of this, though I will be implementing the extra features I'm building there to this system as well once they're more polished, in a future update. I hadn't considered sparkles, though with the same principles it could be done, I'll post a screenshot when I get home and try implementing it

Comment

Originally posted by Aumaan Anubis View Post
            Does this allow things like floating dust/sparkles?
            I have added the ability for fog-swirl patterns as well as floating dust/sparkles, here is an example video showcasing how it looks. System is showcased at around 30s in.

Last edited by hippowombat; 06-04-2016, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Oh, my God that looks beautiful!

The fog is so immersive. The dust looks good too, but a little vertically stretched for some reason, but it still looks good so far.

Is the dust material customizable? (for example, if we wanted the dust to be emissive, to react to bloom and such).

Comment

Originally posted by Aumaan Anubis View Post
                Oh, my God that looks beautiful!

The fog is so immersive. The dust looks good too, but a little vertically stretched for some reason, but it still looks good so far.

Is the dust material customizable? (for example, if we wanted the dust to be emissive, to react to bloom and such).
                Yep, DustEmission can be exposed with a parameter slider.

Comment

very cool system !
                  can i set any light to have or not have voluemtric effect.
                  and can i set one to have dust and one not ? can i control the strenght of all effects individual for everye light i choose ?
                  www.ofpawnsandkings.de

Comment

Originally posted by stucki View Post
                    very cool system !
                    can i set any light to have or not have voluemtric effect.
                    and can i set one to have dust and one not ? can i control the strenght of all effects individual for everye light i choose ?
                    You can set different lights to have or not have the volumetric effect by ticking/unticking "affect translucent lighting" on the individual lights. As for the individual lights controlling individual settings like dust/fog/density etc, right now the way the system works, everything is built with global settings from a central blueprint actor you bring into your level, it doesn't add any extra parameters to the engine-default light actors. You could theoretically use trigger volumes to have more granularity as you've described, but this probably won't be a built in feature.
                    Last edited by hippowombat; 06-05-2016, 07:08 AM.

Comment

will get it either way ;-)
                      but wouldnt it be better if the lights could be controlled individually ?
                      www.ofpawnsandkings.de

Comment

Originally posted by stucki View Post
                        will get it either way ;-)
                        but wouldnt it be better if the lights could be controlled individually ?
                        It definitely would, and I'm exploring it as a possibility as I'm continually working on it, if I end up getting it to work reliably I'll add it in as a feature in a future update thank you very much for your interest and support, having these comments has pushed this system further and further, and that wouldn't be possible without you kind folks!
                        Last edited by hippowombat; 06-05-2016, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Looks great. Does this technique scatter colored light correctly, or is it limited to a single global color?

Comment

Unfortunately this technique is limited to one global color. That's another thing I'll tack onto my experiments list though

Comment

One question: What is the meaning of your disclaimer? There seems to be an "unclickable" link in there. And what does your feature provide that the Engine will not integrate?

Comment

Working...
                              X