No announcement yet.

Physical Water Surface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is very cool. Thanks for creating this. Add foam and this is even better.

Free PBR Texture Maps for UE4 http://freepbr.com/

Comment

Awesome asset! Are there underwater visuals included?

Comment

Originally posted by hippowombat View Post
        Awesome asset! Are there underwater visuals included?
        No, at the moment there is no transparent version of the water material and no underwater visuals included.

Comment

Is it possible to stop water in some point with blueprint of seawall or something like this?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteRedBlue View Post
            Is it possible to stop water in some point with blueprint of seawall or something like this?
            Can you please explain in a bit more detail what you mean? Do you want the water react to an obstacle, or do you just want to prevent the water from penetrating a wall?

Comment

I have the problem that the water rises up through landscape / meshes. Any way to prevent this? For landscapes i have to make sure my lowest point is above the water plane (even if the lowest point is in the middle of the landscape) otherwise the water waves rise and fall over the landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by Theokoles View Post
                Can you please explain in a bit more detail what you mean? Do you want the water react to an obstacle, or do you just want to prevent the water from penetrating a wall?
                Yes, I want that water react to an obstacles. That something can stop water.
                Like in attached picture, this "wall" should block the water, but currently it doesn't
                Click image for larger version

Name:	water.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	1114359

Comment

Originally posted by moody.by.name View Post
                  I have the problem that the water rises up through landscape / meshes. Any way to prevent this? For landscapes i have to make sure my lowest point is above the water plane (even if the lowest point is in the middle of the landscape) otherwise the water waves rise and fall over the landscape.
                  Yes, there is a good solution for that: Make your own water plane mesh with exactly the shape you need, so that there is no water under the landscape.

Yes, I want that water react to an obstacles. That something can stop water.
                  Like in attached picture, this "wall" should block the water, but currently it doesn't
                  This is not implemented in Physical Water Surface at the moment. The water always moves according to the Gerstner equations, it doesn't react to obstacles.

Comment

Great stuff! Got a few questions:
                    1.Was this odd triangle left out by mistake?

Name:	ScreenShot00000.png
Size:	354.6 KB
ID:	1117519
                    2.Is it going to be correct if I add more wind and fetch values?
                    3.If I want a different water color then what exactly do I have to alter besides dark and bright colors in blueprint, do I have to alter foam textures' color?
                    And lastly...
                    4.Are you planning any more updates for this?
                    Thanks a lot, Mark.

Comment

No this is intentional, see https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Physic..._water_surface

You can only select from the wind speed and fetch values that are available, it is not possible to add your own values.

3.If I want a different water color then what exactly do I have to alter besides dark and bright colors in blueprint, do I have to alter foam textures' color?
                      The Blueprint color parameters basically control the water color. The foam color has also a small influence on the water color, depending on how transparent the foam is.

Yes, I have a long list of features that I want to implement. I hope that I can find the time to work on it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Theokoles View Post
                        No this is intentional, see https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Physic..._water_surface

You can only select from the wind speed and fetch values that are available, it is not possible to add your own values.

The Blueprint color parameters basically control the water color. The foam color has also a small influence on the water color, depending on how transparent the foam is.

Yes, I have a long list of features that I want to implement. I hope that I can find the time to work on it soon.
                        Oh wow, not sure how did I miss that part about the artifacs and bounds
                        Thanks for answering and looking forward to an even more awesome water!

Comment

Hi,

I cannot get my boat to have stable buoyancy. By default, it is Single Point mode but then it is jerking too much (pitch and roll down and up 2 or 3 times a second). The boat is quite big as can be seen in the image below - the elliptic mesh is the pawn boat supplied together in the asset, so you can get the rough size comparison here. My guess is the buoyancy setting is not right. But then as soon as I set it to Auto Points, it either doesn't move at all or it simply vanish (maybe fly somewhere else!)

Name:	buoyancy.png
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	1118500

Comment

Originally posted by Syed View Post
                            Hi,

I cannot get my boat to have stable buoyancy. By default, it is Single Point mode but then it is jerking too much (pitch and roll down and up 2 or 3 times a second). The boat is quite big as can be seen in the image below - the elliptic mesh is the pawn boat supplied together in the asset, so you can get the rough size comparison here. My guess is the buoyancy setting is not right. But then as soon as I set it to Auto Points, it either doesn't move at all or it simply vanish (maybe fly somewhere else!)
                            If you haven't done so already, please read the Wiki. It's important to to have a good understanding how the different Buoyancy Modes work.

You're right, SinglePoint Mode will not look good for a boat of that size. It takes the translation and rotation directlyl from a single point on the water surface. The advantage is that in this mode the boat can't become unstable.

In AutoPoints mode, Simulate Physics is turned on and a physics simulation with your boat is performed. Please check if your boat has a realistic mass, and that the center of gravity is where it's supposed to be. If for some reason it is too high or too low, the buoyancy won't work correctly. Next, please enable the DrawDebug option to see where the Buoyancy Points are placed. On the example boat, you can see what it should look like. If you can't see the Buoyancy points, the problem might be that the Buoyancy blueprint failed for some reason to correctly determine the dimensions of your boat. There is also the possibility to place the Buoyancy Points manually with the ManualPoints option, but let's first try to get in to work in AutoPoints mode before considering that.
                            It is also a good idea to check if your boat behaves correctly in a physics simulation, for example just drop it on a plane and observe if it moves in a realistic way.

If all this fails, I suggest that you send me an email to the support address and I will help you get this working. Also, you can send me a small example project with your boat and I will have a look what's going wrong.

Comment

Okay thanks for all the tips. I have read the Wiki thoroughly before posting the problem here.
                              Btw, do you think scaled actor (boat) has got to do with this jerking? My artist exported boat which is too small, and the correct size should be 100x so I set the scale in the details.

Comment

Originally posted by Syed View Post
                                Okay thanks for all the tips. I have read the Wiki thoroughly before posting the problem here.
                                Btw, do you think scaled actor (boat) has got to do with this jerking? My artist exported boat which is too small, and the correct size should be 100x so I set the scale in the details.
                                The scaling could be problematic, for example it could lead to an unrealistic mass of the boat. I usually advise people to not to scale meshes, instead the fbx file should already contain the mesh in the correct size. What is the mass of the boat in kg? You can easily query this from Blueprint.
                                One more question: Is the boat a static mesh, or something else (skeletal mesh, Blueprint etc)?

Comment

Working...
                                X