No announcement yet.

Physical Water Surface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's right actually with the relative speed. The way I did it, at zero speed at least with the x,y,z, split-damping, there is only bouyancy z speed acting and drag from the waves, so relative speed in x,y is not high. But I could not create a 'surfer' riding the wave actually without relative speed in the equation.

Theokoles, I tested a new foam method that I picked up in the forum. It uses the DistanceToNearestSurface node and works if you generate mesh distance fields in the project settings. (and set skylight to moveable). It measures the true distance to a surface and with this you can produce foam around any object/any wave height. Really cool. Like at 1:50min foam under the rock.

Last edited by BlueBudgie; 06-17-2016, 05:30 PM.

Comment

it looks so cool !
      is there a way to add transparency and reflections to the water ?
      www.ofpawnsandkings.de

Comment

Originally posted by stucki View Post
        it looks so cool !
        is there a way to add transparency and reflections to the water ?
        Yes it it possible. Look at the first video BlueBudgie posted above, he added transparency to the water surface. Screen Space Reflections are there and enabled by default, but in many videos they are not visible because of the lighting conditions.

Have a look at these two videos, there you can see the reflections:

(at 0:30)

Comment

In the water material that comes with the pack, you can also fade out the normals with a snippet like this.
          That takes the heavy noise away at large distances and makes the material look good from high altitudes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unbenannt.png
Views:	1
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1108582

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBudgie View Post
            In the water material that comes with the pack, you can also fade out the normals with a snippet like this.
            That takes the heavy noise away at large distances and makes the material look good from high altitudes.
            I've implemented something similar (reducing the noise at large distances) in the upcoming first update of Physical Water Surface that should be released by Epic any day now. The ocean now looks good from war away and also from high above.

Comment

This is great work But, I cant see a way to add or tweak transparency. How do we do this?
              System
              ASUS ROG Maximus IX Forumla - ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - G.Skill RGB 16GB, Samsung M2 500GB

ArtStation
              Artwork thread

Comment

Hell, impressive material, that UV stretching makes me cry of happiness.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBudgie View Post
                  That's right actually with the relative speed. The way I did it, at zero speed at least with the x,y,z, split-damping, there is only bouyancy z speed acting and drag from the waves, so relative speed in x,y is not high. But I could not create a 'surfer' riding the wave actually without relative speed in the equation.

Theokoles, I tested a new foam method that I picked up in the forum. It uses the DistanceToNearestSurface node and works if you generate mesh distance fields in the project settings. (and set skylight to moveable). It measures the true distance to a surface and with this you can produce foam around any object/any wave height. Really cool. Like at 1:50min foam under the rock.

That's sooo cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Frequia View Post
                    This is great work But, I cant see a way to add or tweak transparency. How do we do this?
                    At the moment the material that comes with the pack does not have transparency enabled, you need to enable transparency yourself. You can have a look at the "Water Planes" Feature Sample that is available for free in the launcher to see how this can be done. The Sample includes a translucent water material. In the Tutorial section of my documentation you will find a tutorial how to combine an existing water material (that could be transparent) with the water motion of Physical Water Surface.

Comment

Some waves that automatically generate towards the beaches would be very appreciated.
                      Artstation
                      Join the support channel
                      Gumroad Store

Comment

Update 1
                        Released on June 21, 2016

This update brings improvements and new features requested by customers. Also some small bugfixes for the Buoyancy Blueprint are included.

Fixed Problem: Water Surface looks noisy/shimmering far away
                        The left picture shows the old look, the right picture shows the updated version:

Name:	FarAwayOld.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1109023 Click image for larger version

Name:	FarAwayNew.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1109024

Fixed Problem: Repeating foam texture visible when camera is far away
                        The foam texture is now modulated randomly so that it is not repeating any more. Also, the foam can be faded out at a certain distance. The left picture shows the old look, the right picture shows the updated version:

Name:	Disabled_small.jpg
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	1109025 Click image for larger version

Name:	Enabled_small.jpg
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1109026

New example map is included that shows how to set up a player controlled boat
                        The boat is controlled witht the WASD keys, the space bar can be used to jump out of the water. The boat can interact with other objects that have simulate physics enabled.

New Buoyancy Mode "Manual Points" that allows manually defining the points for buoyancy calculation
                        The automatically created points in Auto Points Mode are always generated in a plane. This prevents the floating object from flipping upside down in most cases. However, sometimes you want an object to rotate freely, for example a floating box that is smashed around by the waves. In the new Manual Points Buoyancy mode you can define the coordinates of the points that are used for the buoyancy calculation yourself. You can set the values in the Details panel, or from another Blueprint.
                        A new example map is included with a box that has manually defined buoyancy points:

Name:	3D Points.png
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1109027

Comment

I've update the documentation in the Wiki to reflect the new features and content that came with Update 1.
                          Physical Water Surfaces sell quite well and you guys seem to be generally happy with the water shader after Update 1.
                          I'd like to thank everyone who has bought Physical Water Surface so far and kindly ask you to rate it on the Marketplace store page, it helps a lot to have your feedback.
                          Also, if you've created something awesome using Physical Water Surface, please post in this thread! I'm looking forward to seeing all the amazing things you're working on!

Comment

Please implement the foam around the objects like BlueBudgie has done in the video above - looks awesome

Comment

Like moody stated, would love to see foam interacting with edges, then this would be the perfect package for me.

Comment

I tried doing it myself based on BlueBudgies use of DistanceToNearestSurface node - when i lerp it with just a color to see if it is working, it seems fine around static meshes and the landscape (but very blocky), but when I try to go one step further and implement a foam texture, it just goes wrong - would be great if you could implement in the pack with the same quality as the rest of it - would be perfect.

In fact, if you added really good believable foam around objects / landscapes and waves towards a shoreline also a transparent water version, then there would be no need for any other water packs on the marketplace again (except maybe rivers). Really pleased to see you are working on maintaining / updating this pack...

Comment

Working...
                                X