Physical Water Surface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Theokoles,

First of all congratulations for your amazing work. I add your water place in battle royale system and if my character stand on the pawn boat the boat slowly diving to the depth. can i give more power to buoyancy? like the character have wheight. And other one problem for all my projects if i place the water plane in my projects i see this message:
    Blueprint Runtime Error: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_GetPlayerCameraManager_ReturnValue from function: 'ExecuteUbergraph_WaterPlane' from node: Set World Scale 3D in graph: EventGraph in object: WaterPlane with description: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_GetPlayerCameraManager_ReturnValue

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by GG_OlympiosTV View Post
      Hi Theokoles,

First of all congratulations for your amazing work. I add your water place in battle royale system and if my character stand on the pawn boat the boat slowly diving to the depth. can i give more power to buoyancy? like the character have wheight. And other one problem for all my projects if i place the water plane in my projects i see this message:
      Blueprint Runtime Error: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_GetPlayerCameraManager_ReturnValue from function: 'ExecuteUbergraph_WaterPlane' from node: Set World Scale 3D in graph: EventGraph in object: WaterPlane with description: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_GetPlayerCameraManager_ReturnValue

Thank you
      I've replied via email.

Comment

Until now I've developed Physical Water Surface in engine version 4.10. At the moment I'm considering to switch development to a newer engine version (for example 4.20) so that newer engine features (like Planar Reflections) can be used. As a consequence, future updates of Physical Water Surface would only be available for 4.20 and higher.
        Would such an approach be acceptable for everyone? From the support request I've seen that most customers use a recent engine version anyway and my feeling is that it would make sense to use the latest engine features in development.
        Please let me know your opinion about this!

Comment

Originally posted by Theokoles View Post
          Until now I've developed Physical Water Surface in engine version 4.10. At the moment I'm considering to switch development to a newer engine version (for example 4.20) so that newer engine features (like Planar Reflections) can be used. As a consequence, future updates of Physical Water Surface would only be available for 4.20 and higher.
          Would such an approach be acceptable for everyone? From the support request I've seen that most customers use a recent engine version anyway and my feeling is that it would make sense to use the latest engine features in development.
          Please let me know your opinion about this!
          I would really appreciate the upgrade & all the new features that upgrade to the new engine version brings

Comment

Can this asset be used without the bouancy? In other words, can we stick a completely static ship in this physical water surface and not have any movement? This is for VR purposes, so I'm afraid that movement would make people feel queezy.

Also, is it possible to go down below the surface in the ship interior and not have water coming through the hull?

Unless I'm mistaken, this seems to be the only maintained ocean solution that also works for VR in the entire Unreal Marketplace?

Comment

Originally posted by roberteker View Post
              Can this asset be used without the bouancy? In other words, can we stick a completely static ship in this physical water surface and not have any movement? This is for VR purposes, so I'm afraid that movement would make people feel queezy.

Also, is it possible to go down below the surface in the ship interior and not have water coming through the hull?

Unless I'm mistaken, this seems to be the only maintained ocean solution that also works for VR in the entire Unreal Marketplace?
              Yes, that's possible of course. If you don't add the Buoyancy Component to the ship it will not move.
              I recommend that you experiment with different setups. In my VR experiments it was quite a comfortable experience to have the player position be controlled by the buoyancy motion of the ship, especially when only the position of the boat but not the rotation is applied to the player (so that in VR the horizon always stays horizontal).

And yes, the water can be hidden inside of ships so that the player can go down below the surface inside the ship. However, there is no underwater environment so when you look out of the ship through portholes under water you will not see anything.

Comment

Hello. I just bought this asset for my project. Please see attached screenshot.
                Water looks like on screenshot. I'm noob in UE, hence support will be much appreciated.
                ps: I was doing all steps with water integration as per instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by Svyberg View Post
                  Hello. I just bought this asset for my project. Please see attached screenshot.
                  Water looks like on screenshot. I'm noob in UE, hence support will be much appreciated.
                  ps: I was doing all steps with water integration as per instructions.
                  When you use Physical Water Surface for the first time it can take a few minutes for the water shader to compile. The "compiling shaders" messages in the engine is not always reliable. Please check in the task manager if the CPU load is high, this is an indication that the shaders are sill compiling. So my advice is to just wait a few minutes, the water will eventually appear.
                  Please let me know if waiting doesn't work for you. Does the water also look like this when you open the DemoMap that comes with PhysicalWaterSurface?

Comment

I love the movement of the water shader, but I would love to make it translucent so I can get some realistic shore-interaction going; I read somewhere that you're working on making the material translucent, do you have any ETA on that? I would also really appreciate an updated engine Version release for the newest effects. By the way, in Your docs we're instructed to use FXAA instead of TemporalAA; I'm relying on TemporalAA for other assets, what do we gain from using FXAA With the Ocean shader? Thanks for a very Nice product!

Comment

Originally posted by Devatsu View Post
                      I love the movement of the water shader, but I would love to make it translucent so I can get some realistic shore-interaction going; I read somewhere that you're working on making the material translucent, do you have any ETA on that? I would also really appreciate an updated engine Version release for the newest effects. By the way, in Your docs we're instructed to use FXAA instead of TemporalAA; I'm relying on TemporalAA for other assets, what do we gain from using FXAA With the Ocean shader? Thanks for a very Nice product!
                      Yes it's true I'm working on translucency, ETA is early next year, hopefully. This update will also include the updated engine version.
                      By default, the water surface looks extremely blurry when using TemporalAA. There are two ways to improve this: One way is to switch to FXAA which I recommend for most cases. The other way is to enable "Accurate velocities from Vertex Deformation" which comes at a performance cost and will make the water less blurry when using TemporalAA.

Comment

Hello Theokoles,
                        does this work on the Nintendo Switch?

Comment

Originally posted by ias_holger View Post
                          Hello Theokoles,
                          does this work on the Nintendo Switch?
                          I can't officially confirm this because I don't have a Nintendo Switch to try it out, and I don't have reports from customers who used it on the Switch. But I have also have never received reports from customers saying that it doesn't run on console, so I would say the probability is high that Physical Water Surface works also on the Switch. I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful!

Comment

Some customers have reported the problem that the water surface does stay gray and the water does not appear after the shaders have finished compiling. Affected engine versions seem to be 4.19 and higher.
                            Today I finally was able to replicate this issue and I think I have the solution. If you have this problem, please make sure to use the following steps when adding Physical Water Surface to your project:
                            1. Add Physical Water Surface to your project as usual from the Launcher
                            2. In the Engine a little message may appear in the bottom right corner of the screen saying "3 changes to source content files have been detected..."
                            3. You need to close this message by clicking on "Don't Import". Physical Water Surface will still be added when you click this option, and everything will work as expected.
                            4. Open one of the maps that come with Physical Water Surface (for example DemoMap). The water will appear after the shaders have finished compiling.
                            The water shaders will need a few minutes to compile when Physical Water Surface is used for the first time. During this time the water surface also stays gray and does not appear yet. I found that the "compiling shaders" message in the Engine is not very reliably and sometimes disappears too early while the shaders are still compiling. A more reliable indicator is to observe the CPU load of your operating system. If the CPU load is high, this means that the shaders are still compiling.

I will add all of this information to the Wiki page once they turn on editing again in the Wiki.
                            Please let me know if the steps above solve this issue for you! In case you're still having problems, please feel free to contact me. You can find the support email address on the Marketplace page.

Comment

Anyone managed to get atmospheric fog working in forward shaded instanced stereo VR?

The cut off even in the default demo scene is very harsh:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	1580531
                              Last edited by roberteker; 02-04-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Physical Water Surface is compatible with the newest engine version 4.22. I've noticed though that the default water color appears to be quite dark in 4.22 (the color can be manually adjusted with the ColorBright and ColorDark material parameters). I'll quickly try to make an update that fixes this issue and gives the same default water color for all engine versions.

Comment

Working...
                                X