Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Physical Water Surface

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Helper7 View Post
    I want the boat not to turn over when I jump. Is there a way?
    If you wan't to make really sure that the boat doesn't flip over, you can place a large number of buoyancy points above the boat (shaped like a dome). When the boat starts to tilt, these additional points above the boat will start to make contact with the water and create an upwards force, preventing it from tilting further. This way, the boat will always roll back to an upright position.

    Comment


      Whenever I try to add manual buoyancy points, I can't actually see the points until I press Play. Is there anyway to get it so that I can adjust the point locations and visually see them before I test the effect? Turning on draw debug will show them in Play Mode, but not in the editor itself.

      Comment


        Originally posted by ConceptualTrap View Post
        Whenever I try to add manual buoyancy points, I can't actually see the points until I press Play. Is there anyway to get it so that I can adjust the point locations and visually see them before I test the effect? Turning on draw debug will show them in Play Mode, but not in the editor itself.
        At the moment this is not possible. I will check if I can make this possible in the next update. If you have a large number of points, I recommend to create the coordinates in an external software, and import them into the engine. See here how to import tabular data: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/b...ata-from-excel

        Comment


          Physical Water Surface is fully compatible with the newest Unreal Engine version 4.20

          Comment


            Hi Theokoles your work is awesome!. I have a problem with the ship movement (check the image). When I try add force to my mesh, it has a strange behaviuor and does not moving forward correctly.
            Can you help me? Maybe I have to add more flotating points?

            Comment


              Originally posted by Edwar_Rojas View Post
              Hi Theokoles your work is awesome!. I have a problem with the ship movement (check the image). When I try add force to my mesh, it has a strange behaviuor and does not moving forward correctly.
              Can you help me? Maybe I have to add more flotating points?
              Which buoyancy mode are you using? AutoPoints or ManualPoints? The buoyancy points should be distributed equally over the hull of your boat, from your picture I can see that someting did go wrong because the points are just on one side of the boat.
              Can you show me a screenshot of the buoyancy settings? You can also reply to my support email adress, communication there will be faster.

              Comment


                How would you go about adding multiple bodies of water with different height and let the buoyancy know which body it should interact with? An example would be a waterfall with a body of water at the top and at the bottom.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Sebviz View Post
                  How would you go about adding multiple bodies of water with different height and let the buoyancy know which body it should interact with? An example would be a waterfall with a body of water at the top and at the bottom.
                  Physical Water Surface is built in such a way that multiple WaterPlanes can be added to a map. By default there is only one sea level and all the Buoyancy Blueprints read the SeaLevel property from the WaterSettings Blueprint. Have a look at the Event BeginPlay in the WaterSettings Blueprint, there you will see that the SeaLevel property is set automatically, using the Z position of the first WaterPlane that is found. This works fine as long as all the WaterPlanes are at the same level.

                  If you want to put WaterPlanes at different heights with working Buoyancy, you need to make some modifications:
                  In the BuoyancyBlueprint you need to find out above which WaterPlane you are. Depending on the situation you can use Traces or Trigger Actors for this. Then you add the appropriate height offset to the SeaLevel value that is used in the Buoyancy calculations in the Buoyancy Blueprint. It is only used in 5 locations that you can easily find with the search function.
                  And you probably want to disable the the FollowCamera option of the WaterPlane Blueprints, otherwise the WaterPlanes will move with the camera. It's probably a good idea to use your own mesh for the water plane that has the correct shape of the body of water that you need.

                  That was a very general description how this can be accomplished. If you have more detailed questions, you're welcome to write an email to my support address and I will help you get this working.

                  Comment


                    Thanks a lot for the response! I'll see if i can get it to work :-)

                    Comment


                      How does the character swim and view in the water? Will it be added to the package?

                      Comment


                        Is this pack still getting updates for some of the commonly requested features such as land/shore interaction, translucency, etc.?

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by nansenone2 View Post
                          How does the character swim and view in the water? Will it be added to the package?
                          Originally posted by meuliano View Post
                          Is this pack still getting updates for some of the commonly requested features such as land/shore interaction, translucency, etc.?
                          Yes, there will be more updates. Translucency has the highest priority for me, and I hope that I can bring it with the next update. Other much requested features that I want to bring in future updates are:
                          • A character that can enter the water and swim in it
                          • A floating ragdoll
                          • Shore interaction
                          • Investigate if Physical Water Surface can be modified to run on mobile
                          Please let me know if you have anything to add. I hope that I have some news about translucency very soon.

                          Comment


                            I think some sort of vertex painting wave magnitude would be cool, so it could be used as a lake or bay or something where the middle has larger waves than the shorelines

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by meuliano View Post
                              I think some sort of vertex painting wave magnitude would be cool, so it could be used as a lake or bay or something where the middle has larger waves than the shorelines
                              This is already possible, you just need to make a small modification in the WaterMotion Material Function. Add a VertexColor node and a Multiply node before the Output Displacement as shown here:

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	VertexColor2.png
Views:	109
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1550077

                              Then, you use Mesh Painting on the water plane mesh like in the Tutorial to scale the Amplitude of the water motion.
                              Don't forget to set the FollowCamera option to false (see tutorial), otherwise the Mesh Painting will not work as intended.

                              Comment


                                Physical Water Surface is compatible with engine version 4.21. Please let me know if you should encounter any problems.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X