Birds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Britannic: Patroness of the Mediterranean made it into the News and Community Spotlight this week.

Congratulations
    Vintage Digital Revival on a fantastic product.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Britannic: Patroness of the Mediterranean is now released on Steam. and as you can see in their trailer they use Birds . Another fantastic piece of work by Vintage Digital Revival.
    I'm hoping for an Epic Games store release too.
    I'm eagerly anticipating Titanic: Honor and Glory as well.
    Last edited by Living Systems; 06-25-2020, 03:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is a big milestone for me. As far as I'm aware this is the first time that one of my assets has made it into a finished game that is now for sale in the Unreal Store.
    Birds is in The Sinking City, developed by Frogwares.

Fantastic work to all involved at Frogwares, I'm so very happy to be a small part of your beautiful sunken world. I especially like how they even used the Birds to solve and find clues throughout the game. I was a fan of the Sherlock Homes games, but wow they really knocked it out of the park with The Sinking City. It's such a huge beautiful world. I'm also eagerly looking forward to the newly announced Sherlock Holmes Chapter One. Great work Frogwares!
    Last edited by Living Systems; 06-03-2020, 08:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Living Systems View Post

Yes you can have Birds and Fish in the same level.
    First of all, you do need to add a blocking volume to the top of your water so that the Fishes obstacle avoidance traces have something to hit, that's how it works, you can make it pretty thin too.
    Next look into collision channels, you can set up collision channels so that the blocking volume only blocks the Fish.
    Finally in the viewport click on show and check the navigation box (or just hit "P" on your keyboard). If it's Green on top of your water the Birds will think they can walk there. The Birds think they can walk anywhere you see Green NavMesh, you can get rid of green NavMesh with a "Nav Modifier Volume"
    Hope that helps, sounds like its just a few setup steps.
    Neat looking show!!! keep me posted on the project, I'd love to see what you put together.
    That's great thanks, I'll try it this week and let you know how I get on!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Do you have your NavMesh volume in place and build navigation? What does the bird do? just stand there or fly away?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the prompt reply and help. But unfortunately it didn’t work for me.

I can add print screen.

I have two tags, first is - player
    second is - BirdEnemy (like in tutorial map)

But still nothing

P.S. The same story with youre NPC
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lars Madok; 06-01-2020, 05:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have a question about Enemy TAG. I transferred the "birds" folder to my project. But they do not perceive my character as an enemy.

I have a question where to add TAG to start working. Thanks in advance.
    You add the Tag in your character blueprint. Under the Class Defaults look for the Actor section, then in the Tag area click on the little + symbol and add the tag there- the tag is "BirdEnemy"

Last edited by Living Systems; 06-17-2020, 08:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Good evening.

Thanks for such a great job. I feel that I will be a collector soon)))

I have a question about Enemy TAG. I transferred the "birds" folder to my project. But they do not perceive my character as an enemy.

I have a question where to add TAG to start working. Thanks in advance.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by D0KY0 View Post
    Is it possible to have the birds and fish in the same level? My fish swim into the sky, so i put a collision box there to stop them but now my birds land on the colision box. So i have had to turn off bird landing
    I was adding them to my jungleroo jungle island eco system
    Yes you can have Birds and Fish in the same level.
    First of all, you do need to add a blocking volume to the top of your water so that the Fishes obstacle avoidance traces have something to hit, that's how it works, you can make it pretty thin too.
    Next look into collision channels, you can set up collision channels so that the blocking volume only blocks the Fish.
    Finally in the viewport click on show and check the navigation box (or just hit "P" on your keyboard). If it's Green on top of your water the Birds will think they can walk there. The Birds think they can walk anywhere you see Green NavMesh, you can get rid of green NavMesh with a "Nav Modifier Volume"
    Hope that helps, sounds like its just a few setup steps.
    Neat looking show!!! keep me posted on the project, I'd love to see what you put together.
    Last edited by Living Systems; 05-29-2020, 03:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is it possible to have the birds and fish in the same level? My fish swim into the sky, so i put a collision box there to stop them but now my birds land on the colision box. So i have had to turn off bird landing

I was adding them to my jungleroo jungle island eco system

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Here is a video showing the new Birds distance limiting behavior. The Birds will now only keep track of Sky, Perch, and Ground Targets in the range you define. This way you can have groupings of birds in different places around your levels. These days levels are getting quite large and cover a rather substantial amount of land mass. This new limiting behavior will allow you to keep groupings of birds to local areas of your map. in the AI Controller you can adjust what range to give the Birds to look for destination Targets. This also comes with a performance increase because now the birds don't store all the targets in the whole level, but instead they only store the targets around them in the range you define. In this video we are zoomed way out in the Demo Level, I have added 3 different groupings of birds- you can see how they behave using different distance ranges.

Keep in mind that you must have at least one of each Target (Sky, Ground, and Perch Targets) within the distance range set for the birds or they wont know where to go.

This behavior will be added to Birds in the next update.
    **Update- This update is now live.
    Last edited by Living Systems; 06-25-2020, 02:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That doesn't work because it changes the class of the Bird_Sky_Target and that breaks some references in ParentClassBlueprints (like BTService_Bird_FlyToARandomSkyTarget).
    Oh yes, I forgot about the Services. I will come up with something much more elegant in the next update. I think the best solution would be for each bird to only store targets within a distance range and make that range editable. I think that would allow the most flexibility without the need to duplicate so many things, way less work for the end user. I'm glad you at least have something that is working for you now. And thanks for the suggestions for improvement.

**UPDATE**
    Ok so i came up with something that will make everything much easier. I will upload this in the next update but wanted to post the fix here so you could take advantage of it right away. I created a variable in the AI Controller called "StoreTargetsWithinThisRange" . You can set that Float to whatever distance you like.
    So now in the Construction Script of the AI Controller where the Ground, Sky and Perch targets are set. All the targets are only stored in the Array if they are within the range you set in that Float Variable. In the attached image here you can see how the Sky Targets are being set.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DistanceRange.jpg Views:	0 Size:	439.7 KB ID:	1767223

Set the Ground and Perch Targets the same way after that Shuffle Node.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DistanceRange_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	446.7 KB ID:	1767224

Now when you place a Bird in your level it will only store Targets within your set range of that Birds starting position.
    Keep in mind that whenever you add Birds to your level you must have at least one of each Target within that new range. If not you will get errors. This should get rid of the need to duplicate different groups for different areas of the map. Now they will always stay in the area you placed them in and they will only be interested in local Targets around them (Perch, Sky, and Ground Targets).

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Living Systems; 05-26-2020, 05:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, i'm finally getting around to implementing your suggestion and the solution for grouping birds is a little different than what you described:

Originally posted by Living Systems View Post

To do this first duplicate the "Bird_Sky_Target" and name it something like "Bird_Sky_TargetPoint_Group1".Do the same for the ground and perch targets. Next you will do the same with the Bird_AI_Controller, Duplicate the AI Controller and re name the Controller to "Bird_AI_Controller_Group1". Now open that new AI Controller and click on the construction script tab. In the get all actors of class nodes- replace the entry's with the Group 1 sky, ground, and perch targets.
    That doesn't work because it changes the class of the Bird_Sky_Target and that breaks some references in ParentClassBlueprints (like BTService_Bird_FlyToARandomSkyTarget).

The correct way to do this, it seems to me, is not duplicating the SkyTarget, but instead creating a Child from it. I also create a child AI_Controller for each Group of Birds, and i find i also need to create a a child for each birdtype in each group (although i don't understand why it isn't enough to set the AI_Controller Propert of any existing bird…)

Altogether this works, but it really doesn't feel very elegant if i want 20 different groups of birds… perhaps as an improvement suggestion, you could make the ai controller match Targets for Birds based on tags in a future release…

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It was mentionned that the birds react to ground character, but the perching birds react to your presence even if the perch target is not on the same plane than your character right?
    The Birds will fly away when perched if the enemy character gets too close. This is also true for when the Birds are on the ground.

The perch target can indicate if bird must face the same direction or not when perched
    When landing on a perch target the Birds will rotate to face the "FaceThisWay" arrow while playing the landing animation- if the "UseFaceThisWayArrow?" Bool is set to true. If it's not set to true the Bird will land on the perch in the direction it is already facing. You set this Bool on the perches themselves and they can be set on a per perch basis.
    I think that answered your question, Let me know if you need any further information.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, I have 2 question about this pack

1) It was mentionned that the birds react to ground character, but the perching birds react to your presence even if the perch traget is not on the same plane than your character right? Or by ground character you meant they can't change direction when flying, but can detect a (close) flying enemy when they are on ground or perched?

2) The perch target can indicate if bird must face the same direction or not when perched. Does this mean the bird will come to the target from opposite direction to land, or it will rotate to face it when makeing the landing animation?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X