No announcement yet.

Birds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's changed/new in latest release (after v. 2.5)?

Hi CharacterArtist128 --

I've purchase and am using Birds 2.5 in my game (the version with obstacle avoidance). It works flawlessly. Superb work. When I went to my Epic library, I saw that you have another update. So, I downloaded it into a new Birds project. But, I want to know what's new/changed from version 2.5, so I can decide if I should migrate it into my current game. Everything is working fine right now, so I don't want to wreck anything. Is it going to be worth my while to migrate the new version (what is the new version number anyway)?

Thanks for the info

FuzzyTom

Comment

What's changed/new in latest release (after v. 2.5)?
      That update is version 2.5.1
      all I added is some IsValid? checks- so that the birds will work properly in simulation mode, or in instances where there is no player character 0.
      I also added a custom collision channel so that the birds don't hit each other and fall to the ground while in flight.

I'm happy to see that the new update went live so quickly, Thanks Epic!
      Last edited by Living Systems; 06-28-2017, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Thank you, sir, for the quick response. BTW, I hadn't noticed birds hitting each other and falling out of the sky. Maybe that only happens if the air space is very congested.

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyTom View Post
          Thank you, sir, for the quick response. BTW, I hadn't noticed birds hitting each other and falling out of the sky. Maybe that only happens if the air space is very congested.
          Yes indeed, the Demo level has 111 birds in a rather small space.

Comment

CharacterArtist -- In my game, I have several enemy BOTs that chase my player. I want the birds to react to the BOTs when they run near the birds (as they do when the player runs near them). Is there a (relatively) simple way to make the blueprints (those with "GetDistanceTo" nodes to the player character) also recognize the enemy BOTs? They have a character BP and a controller separate from the player character/controller, so I can identify them. It seems like it could/should work. But, you're the authority on it. Thanks again for a super asset.

FuzzyTom

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyTom View Post
              CharacterArtist -- In my game, I have several enemy BOTs that chase my player. I want the birds to react to the BOTs when they run near the birds (as they do when the player runs near them). Is there a (relatively) simple way to make the blueprints (those with "GetDistanceTo" nodes to the player character) also recognize the enemy BOTs? They have a character BP and a controller separate from the player character/controller, so I can identify them. It seems like it could/should work. But, you're the authority on it. Thanks again for a super asset.

FuzzyTom
              This is exactly what I'm putting together for my next Marketplace submission, "Rodents".
              In this little demo, the red guys are simple Bots running to random locations, but what makes them special is that they have an "Enemy Tag".
              The green guys are the Rodents, they are using the perception system to populate a Structure with nearby enemy's. Then they check which enemy in that Struct is closest, and that becomes the "current enemy". This system makes enemy switching very fluid.
              Last edited by Living Systems; 07-14-2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Here is an example of Birds being used in Nicobass's Tomb Raider 2 Remake.

I am very proud of the fact that Birds made it into the intro cut scene. Also later in the video you can see that he made the crows attack the player. Very cool!
                Here is the website for Nicobass's Tomb Raider 2 Remake. you can download the demo and try it out for your self. Fantastic work on this remake, any Tomb Raider fan will love it! The game feels and plays just like those old school Tomb Raider games that we all remember so fondly.
                Last edited by Living Systems; 04-16-2018, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Do you plan to create one large pack that combines all your packs (birds, fish, rodents) together to work as one single eco-system? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Valauskas View Post
                    Do you plan to create one large pack that combines all your packs (birds, fish, rodents) together to work as one single eco-system? Thanks!
                    I don't have immediate plans to do this, but it is a long term goal.

Comment

START EVENTS INSIDE SEQUENCER

Hi,
                      I have read on previous posts that works only with character's trigger, is it possible to start BP birds inside a sequencer shot?

Thank you
                      ADL

Comment

Originally posted by Living Systems View Post

I don't have immediate plans to do this, but it is a long term goal.
                        Is there any chance that we will see a unified global eco-system in 2018? If so, how big is that chance?

Do you plan to create predatory animals that could hunt rodents?

Comment

Originally posted by Valauskas View Post

Is there any chance that we will see a unified global eco-system in 2018? If so, how big is that chance?

Do you plan to create predatory animals that could hunt rodents?
                          I can't really give a timeline for my Eco-System project because i am still in the midst of building the individual elements, So 2018 is probably too soon.

However, I think you will like this, My next project is an Attack Boar. The Attack Boar will hunt any Actor with the appropriate enemy tag when it gets hungry or angry.
                          The neat thing here is that Rodents will run from any Actor with the appropriate enemy tag. So by adding just a couple of tags the Rodents will run from the Attack Boar while the Attack Boar hunts them down. This behavior will work with the player as well. it's already testing quite well

Good things to look forward to, to be sure.

Originally posted by ADL67 View Post
                          START EVENTS INSIDE SEQUENCER

Hi,
                          I have read on previous posts that works only with character's trigger, is it possible to start BP birds inside a sequencer shot?

Thank you
                          ADL
                          I haven't been working with sequencer, so I am not sure- but my guess is it would take some custom adjustment on your part.
                          Last edited by Living Systems; 10-06-2017, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Living Systems View Post

My next project is an Attack Boar. The Attack Boar will hunt any Actor with the appropriate enemy tag when it gets hungry or angry.
                            The neat thing here is that Rodents will run from any Actor with the appropriate enemy tag. So by adding just a couple of tags the Rodents will run from the Attack Boar while the Attack Boar hunts them down. This behavior will work with the player as well. it's already testing quite well
                            Sounds too much delicious!!! Just can't wait!

I will allow myself a little more to dream. I can be mistaken, but, it seems, predatory animals have a certain habitat where they hunt, build a den and protect cubs. This territory they protect very zealously. Especially from other predators. To indicate the ownership of the territory, it is marked. However, if the victim or a competing predator goes far beyond this territory, then the owner returns back home. Return is necessary, because while you are catching up with one enemy, five others will be in your place, eat your prey, destroy the nest and so on. Many flocks use the same landscape to drive the victims to the same dead end.

Of course, there are exceptions. For example, some wolves living in Russia and Canada can pursue their prey for several days without stopping, leaving their home for hundreds of kilometers. Other wolves may live alone because they are driven out by their pack (flock). As far as I know, such lone wolves actually lead a nomadic life, migrating after their victims.

Nevertheless, the protected area remains an important component of the existence of predators. Therefore, I have a question - is it possible to realize something similar to this territories?
                            Last edited by Valauskas; 10-06-2017, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Any chance pigeons might be add to the mix? Would be great for a city, park, etc...

Comment

Yes Kneebasher, Pigeons will be up next in the next Birds update. I'm finishing up the first Rodents update now- giving them a health system, that I will also be adding to these birds.
                                I should be getting to it in the new year.

Comment

Working...
                                X