No announcement yet.

Birds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now each bird does a down-forward trace (while flying to random targets) and gets upward thrust if it gets a hit, so you can increase your trace distance or thrust amount to fit your environment. If you are mindful of where your placing your sky targets you can avoid most issues.
    You can also set-up a multi-trace system (Shameless plug for Fish) if your looking for an obstacle avoidance system
    Also Birds has the physics asset already set up- so you can always ragdoll on weapon trace hit, or toggle visibility and set off a particle effect..... You bird murdering monster ~
    Last edited by Living Systems; 03-20-2017, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Great asset...however, birds keep flying through walls!!!!

CharacterArtist128 --

I purchased Birds 2.0 and am very pleased with it . You did a fantastic job on this asset. I'm having a problem, though. The flying birds seem to fly through the walls of a castle I built. I tried setting collision on the walls to BlockAllDynamic ... then tried BlockAll ... doesn't seem to matter - the birds still fly through the walls . Is there any way to prevent this?

Thanks...and keep making more assets like this one.

FuzzyTom

Comment

After seeing that a few of you are having issues with Birds flying through things I have come up with a rather elegant solution that piggybacks on the single trace that we are already doing.
        After some more testing I'll post a video of the fix in action, and submit an update by weeks end or so

Thanks...and keep making more assets like this one.
        Thank you FuzzyTom, Also keep your eyes out for "Rodents" - coming soon .
        Last edited by Living Systems; 04-25-2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

What started out as a simple fix has turned into a pretty great update. Now when the Birds get a down trace hit they get vertical thrust as well as a variable pitch adjustment.
          This behavior piggybacks on top of the trace we were already doing, so this enhanced behavior comes without any additional processing cost.
          This new behavior is also very modifiable, you can change the draw distance and vertical thrust amount to fit any environmental condition. Just be sure that you place your Sky Targets higher than your Birds avoidance draw distance.
          I will submit this update next week, in the mean time here is a quick video showing Birds v2.5 in action

Last edited by Living Systems; 05-02-2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

thx for this update ! really looking forward to it !!!
            some basic questions that i came along:
            - is it possible to exchange the birds models with my own birds ? what kind of steps do i have to take.
            (means i have a tucan and want it to work with your great kit)

kind regards
            stucki
            www.ofpawnsandkings.de

Comment

thx for this update ! really looking forward to it !!!
              some basic questions that i came along:
              - is it possible to exchange the birds models with my own birds ? what kind of steps do i have to take.
              (means i have a tucan and want it to work with your great kit)
              Yes it is Stucki, there is an easy way, and a hard (but better) way.

The easy way would be to bind your mesh to one of the included skeletons. Export the Skeletal Mesh as FBX from the engine, and bind new Geometry to it in your 3D package. This way you can just duplicate any Bird Blueprint- and then simply swap out the existing mesh with your new one. This way you can use the existing Animations and Animation Blueprint.

The hard way would be to create your own custom Skeleton and Mesh, if you go this route you will need to create your own Animations and Animation Blueprint, just use the existing Animations and Animation Blueprint as your guide. It's really not that hard- but certainly more work is involved. This way you duplicate any Bird Blueprint- Then swap out the existing mesh with your new one- and assign your new Animation Blueprint.
              Hope that was helpful
              Last edited by Living Systems; 05-01-2017, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Birds version 2.5 has been submitted to Epic, So hopefully if all goes well it should be live quite soon.
                The major addition to this version is obstacle avoidance. However there were also some Bug Fixes, and I also went through and commented everything including all the variables to make the Whole system more understandable.
                I hope you find this update to be a Big improvement. As always, updates like this are only possible because of the continued support of the community. If you back em' I'll pack em'

Last edited by Living Systems; 05-01-2017, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Thx very much for the detailed explanation !!
                  www.ofpawnsandkings.de

Comment

How do i fly? i can only walk and jump, but i cant keep myself in the air when i play as a Bird.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Revzor View Post
                      How do i fly? i can only walk and jump, but i cant keep myself in the air when i play as a Bird.
                      E and the Right Face button on a Gamepad is the walk-fly toggle.
                      Also Left Shift or Gamepad Left Face Button is for Speed Boost, this works while walking and flying.
                      You can always change the key configuration in the Input section of the Project Settings.

Also as a note to everyone the latest update is now live

Comment

Hello, I'm having an issue using your birds in 4.15.3

I'm placing the required components and building nav, but the bird just flies in loops in a central area, seemingly unresponsive to the governing objects. Image, and video below:

Is there an email you're using for support?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwmItMFJ9Fc

EDIT1: If I open StayOnGround_Birds.umap and simulate, all the birds on the ground take off and fly off into the distance together immediately.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Feracon; 06-26-2017, 06:11 PM.

Comment

You are having this issue because you are using them without using a player. The Birds work in conjunction with player character 0. Their behavior changes based on the distance to the player. So if there is no player then their logic doesn't work properly. I'll address this in the next update, so that they will work properly without the need for a player.

Comment

I didn't realize you needed the player controller in the scene. Thank you!

EDIT: Unfortunately even with the player controller in the birds wont seem to land for me. Also the test scene i used did have a player controller in it since it was the default "blank" UE4 map.

Maybe the logic doesn't work in simulation for some reason?

EDIT2: Here's the behavior I'm seeing in StayOnGround_Birds.umap that comes with the package. All birds instantly fly away indefinitely.

https://youtu.be/2BRdPyziqOs
                            Last edited by Feracon; 06-27-2017, 02:12 PM.

Comment

In simulation mode that player start is not possessed- so Player Character 0 (Player Controlled Character) is never registered.

This is what i'm adding right now for the next update. it's just a few IsVailid? checks, so that the Birds will work properly in simulation mode, and with a player controlled character

This guy right here:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1130333
                              Last edited by Living Systems; 06-27-2017, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Tested. Works great in VR preview. We'll design without simulate till your update releases. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                                X