Dialogue Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    is there a quest system I can use with this dialogue system? or can someone recommend one that works easy with this one? for example, I need to be able to have the dialogue trigger quest and such

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Franches View Post
    Which means I only want the NPC to go through a number of dialogue lines, with a slight delay between them, without never having the reply widget appear there.
    Like Dark Souls, then?

This would require a rather drastic modification of the widget. I recorded myself doing it, here you go: https://youtu.be/CcRarFL_iiU

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Franches View Post
    Hey there! Thanks for this awesome plugin.

I am playing with it for a while now and maybe I am missing something - I tried to modify the UMG widget to change the continue functionality - but it didin't work.

Basically I need an NPC to be clicked on as the event and then he starts talking, but no replies ensues. Which means I only want the NPC to go through a number of dialogue lines, with a slight delay between them, without never having the reply widget appear there.

How would I be able to achieve this?

Cheers and keep up the good work!
    Any chance to help me with this?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey there! Thanks for this awesome plugin.

I am playing with it for a while now and maybe I am missing something - I tried to modify the UMG widget to change the continue functionality - but it didin't work.

Basically I need an NPC to be clicked on as the event and then he starts talking, but no replies ensues. Which means I only want the NPC to go through a number of dialogue lines, with a slight delay between them, without never having the reply widget appear there.

How would I be able to achieve this?

Cheers and keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Franches; 02-09-2019, 01:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey I think I fixed my issues! I had to use my default laser beam for the widget interaction. Thanks for all the support! Im one step closer to finishing thanks!
    Last edited by PRESSURE2000; 02-07-2019, 10:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    CodeSpartan I clearly missed out on it completely , thank you for your patience and quick reply ,cheers.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Ultimatelegend18 View Post

Thank you for your reply , i have changed the values and with the set focus keyboard node its working properly , except i can't select anything with the enter button , this is what i did , for some reason the branch always fails and it automatically casts to the original demo reply widget. I thought of just setting the "clicked" boolean as true from the get go because logically the function shouldn't be called unless the button was clicked , or is there something that i am missing? Thank you for your time.
    Why is it "CastToDemoReplyWidget" and not "CastToDemoReplyWidget_2" on your second screenshot? Did you follow the video on how to import widgets into your project, specifically at this timestamp?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post
    There's already this functionality for gamepads, so if you want to use keyboard arrows instead, you just change these (in your custom DemoDialogueWidget):

Thank you for your reply , i have changed the values and with the set focus keyboard node its working properly , except i can't select anything with the enter button , this is what i did , for some reason the branch always fails and it automatically casts to the original demo reply widget. I thought of just setting the "clicked" boolean as true from the get go because logically the function shouldn't be called unless the button was clicked , or is there something that i am missing? Thank you for your time.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by PRESSURE2000 View Post

when you say my NPC "should have a field of type Dialogue" do you mean the dialogue text tree? I created one and moved over the vr widgets and vr actor to my project

I created a widget inside my NPC , like you did with your vr dialogue actor and I set an overlap to trigger it but I get errors.
    I'm going to send you a PM about this in a couple of minutes with a short video.

Leave a comment:

• replied

The plugin is only responsible for displaying dialogues. Interacting with objects (which is what you want to do here) is not part of the plugin, but part of basic Unreal functionality.

The demo projects show a lot of the functionality that people ask about. So feel free to open a normal demo and see how the dialogue opens there, then re-implement the same thing in your project.

To give you an idea, let's assume you have an NPC class. It should have a field of type Dialogue. You put your dialogue asset in there. If you want to talk to that NPC, do a raycast from your camera a few meters forward and if you meet an NPC, open a dialogue using his dialogue asset. This is basic unreal, there's no plugins for this.
    when you say my NPC "should have a field of type Dialogue" do you mean the dialogue text tree? I created one and moved over the vr widgets and vr actor to my project

I created a widget inside my NPC , like you did with your vr dialogue actor and I set an overlap to trigger it but I get errors.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied

ok I bought the plugin and downloaded the VR version demo for engine 4.20. Is there any documentation on how to set up the VR way of doing things? I know I can press k to open a dialogue but how do we add it to an NPC? I want to be able to go up to the NPC and use the plugin in VR mode, not just press k to open a dialogue. im just really confused right now because the youtube video has a NPC blocking the door and you do the intimidation factor but the VR project has none of this. am I suppose to download both and put them in my VR project so I can have the code for the NPC and get the code for the VR settings?

The plugin is only responsible for displaying dialogues. Interacting with objects (which is what you want to do here) is not part of the plugin, but part of basic Unreal functionality.

The demo projects show a lot of the functionality that people ask about. So feel free to open a normal demo and see how the dialogue opens there, then re-implement the same thing in your project.

To give you an idea, let's assume you have an NPC class. It should have a field of type Dialogue. You put your dialogue asset in there. If you want to talk to that NPC, do a raycast from your camera a few meters forward and if you meet an NPC, open a dialogue using his dialogue asset. This is basic unreal, there's no plugins for this.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Yes, it can.
    ok I bought the plugin and downloaded the VR version demo for engine 4.20. Is there any documentation on how to set up the VR way of doing things? I know I can press k to open a dialogue but how do we add it to an NPC? I want to be able to go up to the NPC and use the plugin in VR mode, not just press k to open a dialogue. im just really confused right now because the youtube video has a NPC blocking the door and you do the intimidation factor but the VR project has none of this. am I suppose to download both and put them in my VR project so I can have the code for the NPC and get the code for the VR settings?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Ultimatelegend18 View Post
    if i wanted to scroll through the displayed node choices with the keyboard instead of the of mouse
    There's already this functionality for gamepads, so if you want to use keyboard arrows instead, you just change these (in your custom DemoDialogueWidget):

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can this use audio sounds for the words or is it just text?
    Yes, it can.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can this use audio sounds for the words or is it just text?

Last edited by PRESSURE2000; 02-03-2019, 10:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X