Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by czlowiek_kon View Post
    Hey!

I'm using this plugin and it works great, but I need to tweak it to make it really streamlined. I tried to achieve it, but I need your help. I'm affraid I will mess it up on some pint.

I need to:

- add an alternative text window for a PC, so I can display a dialogue option like "I will do that", but print (and add audio) the full answer like "Of course I will do that, honey!" - i tried to add the box using the instructions in the post #282, but i got those errors when I try to compile it through the Viseual Studio:

Code:
    1> [1/4] Module.DialoguePluginEditor.cpp
    1>F:/allmother/UE4/AllMother/Plugins/DialoguePlugin/Source/DialoguePluginEditor/Private/DialoguePluginEditorSettingsDetails.cpp(82): error C2039: "AlternativeText": nie jest sk�adow� elementu "FDialogueNode"
    1> F:\allmother\UE4\AllMother\Plugins\DialoguePlugin\Source\DialoguePlugin\Public\Dialogue.h(92): note: zobacz deklaracj� "FDialogueNode"
    1>F:/allmother/UE4/AllMother/Plugins/DialoguePlugin/Source/DialoguePluginEditor/Private/DialoguePluginEditorSettingsDetails.cpp(166): error C2039: "AlternativeText": nie jest sk�adow� elementu "FDialogueNode"
    1> F:\allmother\UE4\AllMother\Plugins\DialoguePlugin\Source\DialoguePlugin\Public\Dialogue.h(92): note: zobacz deklaracj� "FDialogueNode"
    1>F:/allmother/UE4/AllMother/Plugins/DialoguePlugin/Source/DialoguePluginEditor/Private/DialoguePluginEditorSettingsDetails.cpp(174): error C2039: "AlternativeText": nie jest sk�adow� elementu "FDialogueNode"
    1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(46,5): error MSB3073: The command ""E:\Epic Games\UE_4.26\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" AllMotherEditor Win64 Development -Project="F:\allmother\UE4\AllMother\AllMother.uproject" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild" exited with code 6.
    1>Done building project "AllMother.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
    I don't know why it's in polish, but translations is like "zobacz deklaracj�" - "see declaration" and "nie jest sk�adow� elementu" - is not a part of element"

The instructions in that "post #282" worked back then (in 2018), but can't work now, because the plugin has evolved since then, so when an instruction from 3 years ago says "add something to line 62", in 2021 the line number will be absolutely out of place.

I've recorded a video on a broader subject, but in that video I perform the necessary changes to the plugin that add a second text field. It's a long video, but the second text field is already added and is functional by 11th minute, so watch it and do what I do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpxErm--dvE

As for other changes you're trying to make. The "demo dialogue widget" is just that - a demo. If it doesn't fit your needs, then you can alter it if you can, or just write your own. I'd recommend the latter for you. 99% of the plugin is in the editor. 1% is the widget. Just write your own widget, this way you'll know exactly what lives where and why. All the API is exposed, and you can look at the demo widget to look for examples of how to interact with the dialogue asset.
    Last edited by CodeSpartan; 02-05-2021, 04:10 PM.
    MMO Starter Kit
    Dialogue Plugin
    Voxel Plugin
    Character Customization: Female
    Character Customization: Male

Comment

Hello! I'm considering buying this dialogue system which seems very nice. I have a few questions ;

- If my player can chose one reply from several, is it possible to link their reply back to the previous node where they were able to chose from all the questions but tweak it so they are not able to ask the same question again (like hide it), and add a question they could not ask before.

Example: From 'node A' they can ask (How are you? AND How old are you?) they chose (How are you are?) / Dialogue unfolds / then there is a link back to the 'node A' and they are now able to ask (I'm fine as well AND How old are you?)

- Is there a way to hide or show replies options according to other variables (e.g. strength of my character)

- Is there a way to make replies options another colour if they have already been asked?

- Is there a way to keep a record of what has been said in the conversation? (In a journal for example)

- Can I call a tree inside of a tree?
      (For example, the player has a reply option "I want to talk about Game Of Thrones", and this node links to a whole other tree that is all about Game Of Thrones and it starts directly there)

- Can I use tasks blueprint to make nodes inside the dialogue (open doors, npc gives an item to the player, their opinion of the player increases or lowers...)

Thank you for your help! I tried very hard to create this on my own but without success haha.
      Last edited by Claudelag; 02-17-2021, 05:33 AM.

Comment

@Claudelag yes to almost everything you asked, except I don't know about replied that have been asked being another color. I don't think thats supported out of the box.

@CodeSpartan One thing I'd really love and I can't quite think of how to do it, I want dialogue between 3 characters (2 NPC's and the player). Its not that different than what we have here but a different UI setup and add the ability to have more than 1 character in the plugin named section. Do you think you'd be open to adding that? I love the way this plugin works, so powerful, just one area that's kind a got a snag for me. I could help if you wanted it, but the plugin needs to have more options for me to connect it up to a new UI.
        www.youtube.com/user/destruct007

Comment

Originally posted by daveSchoneveld View Post
          @CodeSpartan One thing I'd really love and I can't quite think of how to do it, I want dialogue between 3 characters (2 NPC's and the player). Its not that different than what we have here but a different UI setup and add the ability to have more than 1 character in the plugin named section. Do you think you'd be open to adding that? I love the way this plugin works, so powerful, just one area that's kind a got a snag for me. I could help if you wanted it, but the plugin needs to have more options for me to connect it up to a new UI.
          I don't know what should happen when you have a 3 people dialogue, but let's assume you need the following changes
          - the name should change
          - the avatar
          - and maybe the camera should lock on on the new speaker

All of that is achievable without any changes to the demo dialogue widget. Simply create a dialogue event that changes all those 3 things in the widget. And when you're ready to go back to another talking character, just call that same event again to set up new values. Ideally the event has a class parameter (purple thing). It does a "find all actors by class", gets the first one from the array and retrieves the values from the actor.

Does that achieve what your goal, or did you have something else in mind?
          Last edited by CodeSpartan; 02-22-2021, 08:32 PM.
          MMO Starter Kit
          Dialogue Plugin
          Voxel Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Claudelag View Post
            Hello! I'm considering buying this dialogue system which seems very nice. I have a few questions ;

- If my player can chose one reply from several, is it possible to link their reply back to the previous node where they were able to chose from all the questions but tweak it so they are not able to ask the same question again (like hide it), and add a question they could not ask before.
            Not out of the box, but the documentation has a link to a video where I show how to implement this.

- Is there a way to hide or show replies options according to other variables (e.g. strength of my character)
            Yes, using dialogue conditions (second tutorial video).

- Is there a way to make replies options another colour if they have already been asked?
            Not out of the box, but the principle is very similar to your first question. Perhaps you'd be able to do it if you've got some unreal experience. A beginner might not be able to do that, though.

- Is there a way to keep a record of what has been said in the conversation? (In a journal for example)
            Not out of the box. Easy to implement on your own, though. I can show you the entry points for custom code. But if you're not comfortable with blueprints, this is not doable.

- Can I call a tree inside of a tree?
            (For example, the player has a reply option "I want to talk about Game Of Thrones", and this node links to a whole other tree that is all about Game Of Thrones and it starts directly there)
            You mean you want to link a node to a different conversation? A dialogue event can help you achieve that, but you'd have to write the logic of going into a different dialogue and then returning to this one. You'd also need to modify the widget's "OnExit" behavior a little.

- Can I use tasks blueprint to make nodes inside the dialogue (open doors, npc gives an item to the player, their opinion of the player increases or lowers...)
            I'm not sure I understand the question. Please watch the second tutorial video on dialogue events to see if this is what you're referring to.
            MMO Starter Kit
            Dialogue Plugin
            Voxel Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post

I don't know what should happen when you have a 3 people dialogue, but let's assume you need the following changes
              - the name should change
              - the avatar
              - and maybe the camera should lock on on the new speaker

All of that is achievable without any changes to the demo dialogue widget. Simply create a dialogue event that changes all those 3 things in the widget. And when you're ready to go back to another talking character, just call that same event again to set up new values. Ideally the event has a class parameter (purple thing). It does a "find all actors by class", gets the first one from the array and retrieves the values from the actor.

Does that achieve what your goal, or did you have something else in mind?
              Thanks for the reply. I'll have to try that and see if I can get it to work. I think it does make sense. But its a little hazy right now being just in my head. Once I get down to it I think I should have it. Thanks again. I'll let you know if/when I get that working to see how I did it, or failed completely

Comment

CodeSpartan I noticed a lot of your youtube videos are unlisted, sometimes I can't find one I once saw. Any reason you can't make the unlisted videos listed? It'd be helpful, thanks!
                Last edited by daveSchoneveld; 02-24-2021, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X