Dialogue Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    UE 4.12 got released today, and so we just submitted Dialogue Plugin v1.1 to the Marketplace for review:
    • New: Zoom was introduced to allow easy workflow with large dialogues.
    • Code optimizations were implemented: 300+ nodes in the same dialogue are no longer causing performance issues. The number of dialogue nodes is now virtually unlimited.
    • Bugfix: UMG Widget no longer executes all children NPC lines that return "true", but only the first one found to be "true". A "break" was missing.
    • Bugfix: The asset tab now correctly displays which dialogue you're editing, followed by a '*' if it's currently dirty.

We don't know how much time it'll take for the new version to get approved, so if you're in a hurry to get it, just send us an email to codespartan.supp@gmail.com with proofs of purchase (and your GitLab account name) and we'll add you to a private repository where you can grab updates as soon we roll them out.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Fantastic! Already purchased, going to make development so much easier and quicker now. Can't wait to see what else you bring to the market in future.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Jazz View Post
    That looks fantastic and exactly what I need! Last few questions before I pick it up. Does it currently have any support for text formatting, like Bold, Italics, Colours, etc?
    Sure, since the UI uses UMG you can implement text formatting freely. Here's an example how you can style player's "intimidate" lines:

In this example all player lines starting with [Intimidate] appear in green with a custom font:

In the Reply widget, add an Intimidate bool variable and these nodes:

Also, I assume it could be setup so a dialogue option can call another UMG widget, such as a shop for example.
    Sure, you can easily spawn another UMG widget through the dialogue plugin's conditions/events system.
    Last edited by Glabrezu; 05-29-2016, 07:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That looks fantastic and exactly what I need! Last few questions before I pick it up. Does it currently have any support for text formatting, like Bold, Italics, Colours, etc? Also, I assume it could be setup so a dialogue option can call another UMG widget, such as a shop for example.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm very interested in picking this up, is it capable of being setup to call variables from the player character. Such as Name, Gender, Race, etc and inserting them into the dialogue?
    Sure, you can insert your own macros, for example "replace %charname% with a variable" in the UMG widget.

Here, I'll make a screenshot of how to do it:

1. Insert %charname% into a dialogue.

2. Go into the UMG widget and insert these nodes that I have selected on this screenshot. My character class has a variable "Name" which I use in this example:

3. Success:

Note that before you can customize the UMG widget provided with the plugin, it is recommended that you duplicate it into your project first as described in the documentation: 3. Customizing the widget.
    Last edited by Glabrezu; 05-28-2016, 06:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm very interested in picking this up, is it capable of being setup to call variables from the player character. Such as Name, Gender, Race, etc and inserting them into the dialogue?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Okay, thank you, I'm not at all experienced with C++, so hopefully the vids help.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Hafgren View Post
    Not sure if I'm just not seeing it, but how do you add conditions?
    Hi! We'll be recording a short 3-4 min video describing the process of creating custom conditions and events in a couple of days, now that the plugin is released. But for now, there's the documentation that goes over it at length.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Not sure if I'm just not seeing it, but how do you add conditions?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Dialogue Plugin has been released today! You can get it on the Marketplace.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ^Awesome, thanks ! Sounds like this is the right dialogue system for my project, then.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for your interest in Dialogue Plugin.

Will you be able to trigger animations from within the dialogue editor, the same way you can trigger sound?
    You can add your own fields to the events/conditions and add blueprint logic to process them. This way, you can trigger any events/conditions really - playing animations or granting items. The documentation already covers that, and we plan to make a video tutorial as well.

The video shows that each node has both a sound input and a voice-over input. What's the difference between the two?
    Sound field's type is USoundBase and Voiceover is UDialogueVoice, both native UE4 types. You can use either of them for voiceover, UDialogueVoice is a bit easier to use if you have different NPC recorded voice depending on player's gender or language.

Will you be able to set variables within the dialogue editor?
    Not sure what you mean by that, but if you want to grant a player gold or experience, or do any other gameplay action, you can do it via events (see documentation link above).

Can you assign different controller buttons to different dialogue options? So, for example, if I have four dialogue options, could I assign the Y button to the first, B to the second, A to the third and X to the fourth option and rather than clicking on a dialogue option, I could simply press the corresponding button to trigger it?

I'm assuming you can also display the dialogue options in 3D space (like in Heavy Rain/Life is Strange) if you make your own custom widget for it. Is that correct?
    All user interface in Dialogue Plugin is handled by a UMG widget. So if you're familiar with UMG, you can freely customize its appearance and controls.

I understand that this has support for voice overs, however, could this drive a text to voice engine / plugin?
    If you already have a text to voice code/plugin, you can use it in the UMG widget that displays the dialogue.

Can you run Blueprint functions from dialog responses? If its a C++ plugin will the source be available?
    Yes to both.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can you run Blueprint functions from dialog responses? If its a C++ plugin will the source be available?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm super excited for this one. I bought a dialogue system previously that was reliant on data tables and found it to be way too prone to error when moving writing over from something like Articy. Being able to do it in the editor like this would be fantastic!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This looks very interesting. I do have a few questions, though:
    • Will you be able to trigger animations from within the dialogue editor, the same way you can trigger sound?
    • The video shows that each node has both a sound input and a voice-over input. What's the difference between the two?
    • Will you be able to set variables within the dialogue editor?
    • Can you assign different controller buttons to different dialogue options? So, for example, if I have four dialogue options, could I assign the Y button to the first, B to the second, A to the third and X to the fourth option and rather than clicking on a dialogue option, I could simply press the corresponding button to trigger it?
    • I'm assuming you can also display the dialogue options in 3D space (like in Heavy Rain/Life is Strange) if you make your own custom widget for it. Is that correct?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X