Dialogue Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post
    The dialogue widget is just a basic UMG widget. If you watch a couple of tutorials on UMG, I'm sure you can customize it completely to your liking.
    Thanks for your answer Now this is probably a sign that I'm losing my marbles but is there a built in 'say once' check I can attached to nodes?So that in your example 'I'm Blacksmith Calvin' only gets called the first time the PC interacts, from there always starts at the next NPC node (making sure of course there is one immediately after) I'm sure I saw that but for the life of me can't find a reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagual101 View Post

Thanks for your answer Now this is probably a sign that I'm losing my marbles but is there a built in 'say once' check I can attached to nodes?So that in your example 'I'm Blacksmith Calvin' only gets called the first time the PC interacts, from there always starts at the next NPC node (making sure of course there is one immediately after) I'm sure I saw that but for the life of me can't find a reference.
      No, but the question has been asked more than once, so I should probably write a tutorial on that. Or, considering that it's not an easy modification of the plugin, maybe I should implement it myself in an update. I'll think about it.
      MMO Starter Kit
      Dialogue Plugin
      Voxel Plugin
      Character Customization: Female
      Character Custmization: Male

Comment

Can anybody please tell me how to make it working with third-player-template? Iam using the story adventure asset which use the third-person but camera is in first-person-location to give player in first person a body. How can I add the dialogue system? Please ... I just switched from Unity to Unreal.

Comment

Hello everyone. I want to apologize if this has already been asked, but this is really hard to find. I'm kinda new in Unreal Engine, and my question is if I am able to create a dialogue node programmatically. Like for example, I have an NPC ID (who is speaking), a flag if the node is a PC answer, text itself and node id. I want to create programmatically a data asset of the dialogue plugin with all the nodes of the specific NPC. Would be greatfull if you tell me how this is possible. Many thanks and sorry for my bad English. Hope, I explained correctly.

Comment

When I use a delay inside a dialogue event and the dialogue ends while this delay still happens UE4 crashes as soon as this delay runs out. So am I just not allowed to use delays in my events or is there a way around this? Is there a better way to make things happen a short time after the text box appears than a delay in the event?

Comment

Originally posted by Arkad2 View Post
              Hello everyone. I want to apologize if this has already been asked, but this is really hard to find. I'm kinda new in Unreal Engine, and my question is if I am able to create a dialogue node programmatically. Like for example, I have an NPC ID (who is speaking), a flag if the node is a PC answer, text itself and node id. I want to create programmatically a data asset of the dialogue plugin with all the nodes of the specific NPC. Would be greatfull if you tell me how this is possible. Many thanks and sorry for my bad English. Hope, I explained correctly.

To add nodes, have a look at this method: SDialogueViewportWidget::OnAddNodeClicked()

It's not difficult to create nodes. What may be difficult is to create menus that would call your particular method.

Originally posted by Rathren View Post
              When I use a delay inside a dialogue event and the dialogue ends while this delay still happens UE4 crashes as soon as this delay runs out.
              Thanks for reporting it, it's obviously a bug. I'll try to see if I can address it soon.

In the meantime, you can call a method on your character or controller or some other blueprint and use a delay in there. That would work.

MMO Starter Kit
              Dialogue Plugin
              Voxel Plugin

Comment

Hi, I have a problem with selecting Actor Objects Referances in a dialogue event that I created. I made a simple 'Master Quest' actor then created child actors of him and placed them in the level. I created a dialogue event that adds Quest (child of Master Quest) to Quest Log (Actor type). In the dialogue window after selecting the created event I can see the child actors (quests) in a drop down list however I am unable to select them, pressing on them does not work. Any ideas how to solve this ?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Daderot; 03-17-2019, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Hi CodeSpartan.

Not sure if this has been answered somewhere else before:
                  Is it possible to bind the text? In that, it picks a text from a data table (to swap between different languages)

Comment

Hi, when I click to the replies with the mouse cursor it freezes up and nothing works.
                    If I select the reply with keyboard arrows and set it so enter responds then it will work...
                    What do I need to do to get the mouse cursor to trigger the buttons?

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha McLean View Post
                      Hi CodeSpartan.

Not sure if this has been answered somewhere else before:
                      Is it possible to bind the text? In that, it picks a text from a data table (to swap between different languages)
                      The plugin is compatible with UE4's native localization system.

Originally posted by chackaloso View Post
                      Hi, when I click to the replies with the mouse cursor it freezes up and nothing works.
                      If I select the reply with keyboard arrows and set it so enter responds then it will work...
                      What do I need to do to get the mouse cursor to trigger the buttons?
                      Please check out the #5.5 FAQ section in the documentation.
                      MMO Starter Kit
                      Dialogue Plugin
                      Voxel Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Daderot View Post
                        Hi, I have a problem with selecting Actor Objects Referances in a dialogue event that I created. I made a simple 'Master Quest' actor then created child actors of him and placed them in the level. I created a dialogue event that adds Quest (child of Master Quest) to Quest Log (Actor type). In the dialogue window after selecting the created event I can see the child actors (quests) in a drop down list however I am unable to select them, pressing on them does not work. Any ideas how to solve this ?
                        Not a good idea to try and reference objects in the level.
                        Reference their class instead and then find the objects of this class in level on runtime. If you have multiple instances of the same class and need a better way to differentiate between them, use the tags system as well.
                        MMO Starter Kit
                        Dialogue Plugin
                        Voxel Plugin

Comment

Hi CodeSpartan I'm noticing that dialogues among multiple actors are not supported. Am I doing something wrong?

Pretty strange, since it's just needed to have multiple names / npc references in the dialogs that you can switch in the single node!

Comment

Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post
                            Please check out the #5.5 FAQ section in the documentation.
                            Thanks for the response, yes I have verified and set it up correctly.
                            It appears my other mission and compass UI was interfering with it, my error.

Comment

Originally posted by Pakyman View Post
                              Hi CodeSpartan I'm noticing that dialogues among multiple actors are not supported. Am I doing something wrong?

Pretty strange, since it's just needed to have multiple names / npc references in the dialogs that you can switch in the single node!
                              It depends entirely on how your game presents the speaker.

So if we're talking about a game like Pillars of Eternity, the way to have a different speaker is to simply put a dialogue event on a node when someone else is speaking. The event would have to do the following:
                              - Change the name of the speaker in the widget
                              - Change the portrait (if one is available)
                              - Move the camera over to the NPC in question

As you can see, all of that is strongly game-dependent, so it's not "part of the plugin" per se, but the dialogue events system (see second video tutorial) easily supports this. You can do this with this plugin rather easily. Once you've created this "dialogue event", you can reuse it to switch between characters at will.
                              Last edited by CodeSpartan; 03-25-2019, 01:44 PM.
                              MMO Starter Kit
                              Dialogue Plugin
                              Voxel Plugin

Comment

Hi everyone, do you know a way to can select an response just one time ? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X