No announcement yet.

Dialogue Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello CodeSpartan. Bought it this week and I have a doubt. Is there a way of entering info as a variable to be shown in the dialogue, or only in future versions? And great work by the way!

Comment

CodeSpartan, 4.19 does not have anything you did in the video or documentation to duplicate...

when testing the plugin on 4.20 its fine am i missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by AzorMachine View Post
        Hello CodeSpartan. Bought it this week and I have a doubt. Is there a way of entering info as a variable to be shown in the dialogue, or only in future versions? And great work by the way!
        You mean like "Hello, %charname%"? No, I received this suggestion recently and thought it was a pretty interesting one, but it's never been implemented. It's a neat little feature, I'll think about a good way of adding it in a game agnostic way. Or maybe I'll just make a short video of how to add it, because in my mind, this kind of stuff could touch GameInstance or some other general purpose classes, and I can't do this, because it's been my goal to make the Dialogue Plugin as game agnostic and modular as possible. But I hear you, it's a good feature and it's now on my to do list, thanks for reminding me.
        Last edited by CodeSpartan; 11-28-2018, 10:07 AM.
        MMO Starter Kit
        Dialogue Plugin
        Voxel Plugin
        Character Customization: Female

Comment

Originally posted by Vincion View Post
          CodeSpartan, 4.19 does not have anything you did in the video or documentation to duplicate...

when testing the plugin on 4.20 its fine am i missing something?
          Answered in email.
          Last edited by CodeSpartan; 11-28-2018, 10:05 AM.
          MMO Starter Kit
          Dialogue Plugin
          Voxel Plugin

Comment

I'm having trouble getting this to work. I just downloaded the plugin and made this simple dialogue to test it out:

For some reason, when I click "where is the game?" nothing happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinocanid View Post
              I'm having trouble getting this to work. I just downloaded the plugin and made this simple dialogue to test it out:

For some reason, when I click "where is the game?" nothing happens.
              I couldn't reproduce the problem in a clean project by creating the same dialogue that you have. Are you trying it in an empty project as well? Could you upload your project to google drive and send it to me by mail (it's on my seller's page on the marketplace)? I'd like to have a look at it, if you don't mind.
              MMO Starter Kit
              Dialogue Plugin
              Voxel Plugin

Comment

Hey CodeSpartan.
                Great Plugin.
                Im trying to be able to link multiple dialogue text assets together using events. For example NPC says hello. You ask for help and some NPC's can help others can't. I dont want to use conditions for this because I want to be able to reach this dialogue from other dialogs so to avoid repetition id like to be able to fire off an event. Any idea how to do this

EDIT: essentially I want to be able to define a variable to pass into the dialogue event
                Last edited by ahuss; 12-06-2018, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I'd add simple system called "fact database". It's list of pairs where key is string or gameplay tag. Value could be anything you like: boolean, integer, float.
                  Example: KingFoltest_Met = true.
                  This list has to be stored globally, game instance is great place because it persist through entire game.

To hook it up with dialogues, you would need to add new variable with the name of the fact. And add this fact to database after given dialogue line has been played.
                  Yes, it would require to add few lines of code in C++, it's super simple. Although I'm not sure if you're familiar with C++ programming...

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Dev View Post
                    I'd add simple system called "fact database". It's list of pairs where key is string or gameplay tag. Value could be anything you like: boolean, integer, float.
                    Example: KingFoltest_Met = true.
                    This list has to be stored globally, game instance is great place because it persist through entire game.

To hook it up with dialogues, you would need to add new variable with the name of the fact. And add this fact to database after given dialogue line has been played.
                    Yes, it would require to add few lines of code in C++, it's super simple. Although I'm not sure if you're familiar with C++ programming...
                    Not sure if this is directed towards my problem but thanks for the idea of a fact database. Don't know why I didn't think of that.
                    As for my initial question thats been solved. Theres a drop down arrow next to the event name in a dialog asset where you can set values for variables that i didnt notice

Comment

Is there something in it like a time out. That after the time has run out that the dialogue just advances forward?

Comment

Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post

I couldn't reproduce the problem in a clean project by creating the same dialogue that you have. Are you trying it in an empty project as well? Could you upload your project to google drive and send it to me by mail (it's on my seller's page on the marketplace)? I'd like to have a look at it, if you don't mind.
                        Yeah it's a blank project. I should be able to send you an email about it soon!

Comment

Originally posted by kai39 View Post
                          Is there something in it like a time out. That after the time has run out that the dialogue just advances forward?
                          There isn't, but it wouldn't be difficult to implement. How comfortable are you in blueprints, and what would be the default response selected by the player?

I can give you pointers on how to do that.
                          MMO Starter Kit
                          Dialogue Plugin
                          Voxel Plugin

Comment

Working...
                          X